Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlicePearl24
    • By AlicePearl24 11th Oct 19, 7:11 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    AlicePearl24
    Contractor wants me to pay before supplying invoice
    • 11th Oct 19, 7:11 AM
    Contractor wants me to pay before supplying invoice 11th Oct 19 at 7:11 AM
    Hi, my double gazing contractor (a well established local firm) has recently completed a big job for us. We paid on the day of completion (£8k). Several weeks later they did a very small job replacing two obscured windows because the design they advised us to choose didn’t match the door they supplied ( they argued this was subjective, we compromised and agreed to pay for the glass, they agreed to fit the windows at no cost). This second job was completed one week ago. The company rang me after 2 days asking why I hadn’t paid and I told them I hadn’t yet received an invoice. They said they provide invoices only after payment and demanded payment over the phone there and then (£300). I refused and asked them to post or email an invoice and said I’d pay immediately by bank transfer on receipt. I was told I must go into the showroom the next day with my card and pay - and they could ‘show’ me the invoice first. I work and can’t into their office this week or next. They were was pretty aggressive, but I stuck to my guns. Since then I’ve had 3 phone messages demanding payment (remember, the job was only carried out 6 days ago), but they still refuse to send me an invoice. I have no paperwork at all relating to this second job and I’m sure they are required to send me an invoice before payment, but just want to check this. Any advice/thoughts very welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AlicePearl24; 11-10-2019 at 7:43 AM.
Page 2
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Oct 19, 12:23 PM
    • 35,279 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    DCFC79
    It gets a bit stranger - on Friday I went to the office to pay (and get that invoice!) and was asked by the owner to pay by BACS into a personal account not the company account because there was apparently a security issue with the company account so it was temporarily blocked...I haven't done this yet as when I got home and sat in front of my laptop to do it, it struck me that this was not right as the owner and the company are legally separate entities and my contract is with the company. Iíll wait until Monday and talk to them again. Views?
    Originally posted by AlicePearl24

Sounds odd to me, Id write a cheque as suggested.

If it is because they are having money trouble could you pay by credit card ? Would be covered if you do.
    • J B
    • By J B 13th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    J B
    They want paying
    You want a proper bill.

You have the bargaining power and they have ... erm ... none.

Simple solution = no bill, no pay

Certainly don't pay into someone else's account.

I'm guessing that there will be some sort of warranty with this stuff, which will be much easier to rectify with a 'paper trail'

Stand your ground.

• robatwork
    • By robatwork 13th Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    • 5,400 Posts
    • 6,215 Thanks
    robatwork
    Can we assume you got an invoice for the £8000 of work?

This does sound fishy though - I can't think of any non-nefarious reason they won't just knock up an invoice/bill and ask you to pay into a personal account by bacs.

I've sort-of been through this with an electrician years ago - he did some underfloor heating and I needed an invoice to register the system with the manufacturer for the extended warranty. I paid him with the promise of invoice to follow immediately. He never sent it and disappeared off the radar.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 14th Oct 19, 9:45 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    If they gave you a quote, then did the work, then the quote becomes the invoice.

Either way, you've got the windows, so pay the people.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Oct 19, 11:01 AM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 7,968 Thanks
    DoaM
    If they gave you a quote, then did the work, then the quote becomes the invoice.

Either way, you've got the windows, so pay the people.
    Originally posted by Paul_DNAP
    Have you read the full thread? OP has already paid the £8k invoice. It's the supplementary works for about £300 that the company won't provide an invoice for.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • garth549
    • By garth549 14th Oct 19, 2:13 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    garth549
    If I rung up our customers telling them to make payment without an invoice they'd laugh at us (and probably never deal with us again)!

Just email them stating that payment will be made in full within 24 hours of receiving the invoice. It's not difficult!
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 14th Oct 19, 2:47 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    Have you read the full thread? OP has already paid the £8k invoice. It's the supplementary works for about £300 that the company won't provide an invoice for.
    Originally posted by DoaM

Yes, I have.

I have read it as the £8k job was completed and this £300 is a separate follow up job to do something else.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 15th Oct 19, 9:56 AM
    • 5,034 Posts
    • 9,504 Thanks
    Murphybear
    It gets a bit stranger - on Friday I went to the office to pay (and get that invoice!) and was asked by the owner to pay by BACS into a personal account not the company account because there was apparently a security issue with the company account so it was temporarily blocked...I haven't done this yet as when I got home and sat in front of my laptop to do it, it struck me that this was not right as the owner and the company are legally separate entities and my contract is with the company. Iíll wait until Monday and talk to them again. Views?
    Originally posted by AlicePearl24
    Asking you to pay into a personal account plus refusing to send an invoice would have alarm bells ringing very loudly to me. The excuse they use is a bit flimsy as well. You could say that you will pay into the company account as soon as the problem is fixed. Then see what happens
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Oct 19, 10:46 AM
    • 4,935 Posts
    • 12,373 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    If you're satisfied that the bank details have been given to you by someone authorised to do so on behalf of the company (which seems to be the case if you know it's the owner), I don't see what the problem would be. Different if it was, say, a rogue employee wanting to steal the customers' payments.

In any event, there's no need for you to know (and not yet any means for you to verify) the name in which the account is held.

If you're uncomfortable with it though, why not just give them a cheque payable to the company?
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    The owner is obviously trying it on...wanting to take unaccountable income from the business
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

2,001Users online

Martin's Twitter