Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BACKTOBACK
    • By BACKTOBACK 12th Oct 19, 7:53 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BACKTOBACK
    My Kitten Eats Too Much
    • 12th Oct 19, 7:53 AM
    My Kitten Eats Too Much 12th Oct 19 at 7:53 AM
    My Kitten is around 9 months old now. He really likes Felix AGAIL Kitten pouches but they do not fill him up. In a morning after he wakes me up at 6am he will eat a full pouch and still be so hungry he will meow for more food and then eat a bowl of go cat kitten biscuits.
    I know they may not be the best quality foods but he does like them and i am on a budget.

Would it be any better if i bought the Felix Adult AGAIL pouches? Would they fill him up more or do i really need wait until he is 12 months old?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Oct 19, 7:56 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 3,308 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 12th Oct 19, 7:56 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 7:56 AM
    Is he overweight ? My vet gave me a can you feel a waistline test - hands around the tummy and feel the ribs.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 12th Oct 19, 8:08 AM
    • 2,513 Posts
    • 2,978 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 12th Oct 19, 8:08 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 8:08 AM
    Would cans of cat / kitten food not work out cheaper?
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    • 8,976 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 12th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    A better quality food would keep him fuller for longer. Although more expensive you would need to feed a smaller quantity so not necessarily much more expensive. Also money spent on good quality food can translate into fewer vet bills later. Cheap poor quality food really is a false economy.
    At 9 months he is still growing so really needs to still be on kitten food until at least 12 months as the nutrition supports growth and development. Like any child/teen going through a growing spurt he will be more hungry at these times.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1123.85 (£700 offset), Nov £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
    • _shel
    • By _shel 12th Oct 19, 8:26 AM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 4,446 Thanks
    _shel
    • 12th Oct 19, 8:26 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 8:26 AM
    Get a slow feeder bowl. Slowing him down might help and let you see if it's just being greedy.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Oct 19, 10:02 AM
    • 3,854 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th Oct 19, 10:02 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 10:02 AM
    I picked up my kitten's IAMS feed on offer - a 2kg bag lasts 6 weeks and the last one I picked up at £8 instead of £11. My kitty just grazes.
    I'll throw down some dreamies (more then 6) again at the moment this product seems to be on offer.

My old cat I'd easily buy two whiskers sachet boxes per week at a cost of £3.50 each. I know toward the end Rags looked ever so skinny to me, but 3 weeks before she popped off when at the Vets they said she was a good weight so sometimes we, owners oversee things.

My kitten is 5 months and weights around 2.3 - what weight is yours?
    (Can you remember the weight recorded when spayed/neutered)
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Oct 19, 10:40 AM
    • 7,114 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Oct 19, 10:40 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 10:40 AM
    Are you feeding twice a day?

According to Purina you should be feeding

5-3 pouches daily if they're 6-12 months old.

You could ask your vet surgery for feeding advice
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 12th Oct 19, 1:38 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 2,588 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 12th Oct 19, 1:38 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 1:38 PM
    Also, make sure you have your kitten wormed.

And add in dried food as well as the wet food. Most brands will say a mix of wet pouches and dry food daily.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 10,215 Posts
    • 12,958 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    They're 75% water, and about 7% beef/4% tuna. Work out at about £2.50 a kg depending on the pack size.

Aldi chicken thighs are £1.65 a kilo. Feed raw, never feed cooked bones. Chicken thighs on their own are not a complete diet.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Oct 19, 6:25 PM
    • 11,058 Posts
    • 131,036 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Does the kitten need worming?

Get it checked at the vets in case something is wrong.
    Sun, Sea

• Fen1
    • By Fen1 12th Oct 19, 6:49 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    Fen1
    I am a volunteer with an animal rescue. I am not a professional, but I have a fair amount of experience with different cats and different owners.

What does your vet say? Is he concerned?

Is the kitten neutered? Wormed and deflead?

What is his build? How much he should be eating is determined by that, not a blank age group. There can be a huge difference between two kitties. I once handled two siblings who differed radically. The male could be neutered at 4 months, but his sister had to wait until she was six months as she was so petite. She was completely healthy, just petite.

Your cat may be a grazer. He may need 3 or 4, or even more , small meals a day. Feeding him only twice a day may not suit his personality or digestion.

Have a genuine variety of foods. Cats get bored with the same food for every meal every day. Wouldn't you get bored of the same sodding meal every single day? I always keep a variety of brands with different textures and different flavours. I have about three different foods in rotation at a time ( lucky I have a fridge.) I have two cats myself. One will happily eat raw along with tinned, the other won't. They also have their own distinct likes and dislikes. Each cat is an individual, so what may suit one cat may definitely not suit another!

Look at the ingredients list of Go Cat, whiskas etc. Then look at the ingredients list of something like lily's, Applaws, Canagan. There's a reason why the cheap brands are cheap: they are full of cruddy fillers that cats don't need like sugar, cereals, colourings. Cats are obligate carnivores. Giving them coloured sugary cereal is ridiculous.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 12th Oct 19, 6:52 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 5,694 Thanks
    Fen1
    Never give a cat cow's milk. Most cats are lactose intolerant. Cats should only be given water to drink.
    • mtbbuxton
    • By mtbbuxton 12th Oct 19, 7:05 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    mtbbuxton
    After a lot of looking around for a high quality food, I've settled on this for my Siamese.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q%3DBozita%26catl%3D3Cat%3EWet%20Cat%2 0Food%3EBozita%26cats%3D3Cat%253EWet%2520Cat%2520F ood%253EBozita

It's over 95% meat so keeps her fuller for longer. It's also excellent value for money

It's only available online, but delivery is quick. You could also have a look at some of the natural chew treats available to provide stimulation and help with dental health - dehydrated chicken, other meats and fish for example.

M x
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 14th Oct 19, 8:24 PM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,479 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    My Kitten is around 9 months old now. He really likes Felix AGAIL Kitten pouches but they do not fill him up. In a morning after he wakes me up at 6am he will eat a full pouch and still be so hungry he will meow for more food and then eat a bowl of go cat kitten biscuits.
    I know they may not be the best quality foods but he does like them and i am on a budget.

Would it be any better if i bought the Felix Adult AGAIL pouches? Would they fill him up more or do i really need wait until he is 12 months old?
    Originally posted by BACKTOBACK
    Is your kitten a healthy weight for his age? Are his toilet habits normal/ healthy? It is not usually recommended to restrict kittens' meals so that they get really hungry. Either feed more frequently or leave something down all the time ('grazing').

Kitten food should be more nutritious than the corresponding adult food. BUT dry biscuits tend to be loaded with grains, which represent quite poor nutrition for an obligate carnivore (must eat meat or animal-based proteins). IMO they are a false economy for growing kittens because they need to eat loads.

Canned cat foods can work out much better value than pouches. Own brands are often cheaper than branded cat foods. Wilko make some decent quality pet foods and high meat content treats: there are customer reviews on the website and, YES, Wilko do publish negatives of their own-brand products.

For an adult cat - or alternated with a decent kitten food - Butchers Classic in jelly and Butchers Really Meaty are well priced: £2.60 to £3 for six large (400g) tins. So the equivalent of 24 pouches! The Classic variants also come in packs of 12 or 24 large cans depending where you shop.

HTH!
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 14-10-2019 at 8:36 PM.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • rita-rabbit
    • By rita-rabbit 15th Oct 19, 9:49 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    rita-rabbit
    kittens should eat as much as they want
    I am a volunteer with an animal rescue. I am not a professional, but I have a fair amount of experience with different cats and different owners.

What does your vet say? Is he concerned?

Is the kitten neutered? Wormed and deflead?

What is his build? How much he should be eating is determined by that, not a blank age group. There can be a huge difference between two kitties. I once handled two siblings who differed radically. The male could be neutered at 4 months, but his sister had to wait until she was six months as she was so petite. She was completely healthy, just petite.

Your cat may be a grazer. He may need 3 or 4, or even more , small meals a day. Feeding him only twice a day may not suit his personality or digestion.

Have a genuine variety of foods. Cats get bored with the same food for every meal every day. Wouldn't you get bored of the same sodding meal every single day? I always keep a variety of brands with different textures and different flavours. I have about three different foods in rotation at a time ( lucky I have a fridge.) I have two cats myself. One will happily eat raw along with tinned, the other won't. They also have their own distinct likes and dislikes. Each cat is an individual, so what may suit one cat may definitely not suit another!

Look at the ingredients list of Go Cat, whiskas etc. Then look at the ingredients list of something like lily's, Applaws, Canagan. There's a reason why the cheap brands are cheap: they are full of cruddy fillers that cats don't need like sugar, cereals, colourings. Cats are obligate carnivores. Giving them coloured sugary cereal is ridiculous.
    Originally posted by Fen1

exactly. Poor kitten, pouches are often full of sugar. Give him some decent cat food like Smilla, Bozita, Animondy carni - zooplus online. Kitten food is just a way for manufacturers to make more money out of pet owners
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 20th Oct 19, 9:31 AM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 5,700 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    After a lot of looking around for a high quality food, I've settled on this for my Siamese.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q%3DBozita%26catl%3D3Cat%3EWet%20Cat%2 0Food%3EBozita%26cats%3D3Cat%253EWet%2520Cat%2520F ood%253EBozita

It's over 95% meat so keeps her fuller for longer. It's also excellent value for money

It's only available online, but delivery is quick. You could also have a look at some of the natural chew treats available to provide stimulation and help with dental health - dehydrated chicken, other meats and fish for example.

M x
    Originally posted by mtbbuxton

This link doesn't work for me, but the wet Bozita isn't high meat content (yet i'm positive it used to be, as i've fed it before for that reason)

Is the website wrong, am I confused?
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 24th Oct 19, 9:40 PM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,479 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    This link doesn't work for me, but the wet Bozita isn't high meat content (yet i'm positive it used to be, as i've fed it before for that reason)

Is the website wrong, am I confused?
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    The Bozita wet foods I just checked on Zooplus are high meat content. The bracketed percentage refers to the named flavour only (eg. liver, crayfish).

For example the first (main) ingredient for each of the tetrapack Bozita in jelly is chicken, no added grains or starches and no vegetable proteins.

The canned pate-style Bozita are more variable in the main meat(s) but still no added grains or starches and no vegetable proteins.

HTH!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 30th Oct 19, 8:14 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    TripleH
    Our youngest still eats a lot (he's nearly 3) but his appetite has lessened over time as (I suspect) his metabolism slows. At one point he did look to be becoming a little chubby, but i think he was growing and is now quite slender mainly due to his playful lifestyle.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,422Posts Today

7,740Users online

Martin's Twitter