Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Comments

• bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm just getting the runaround. My insurance through Nationwide told me to contact International Passenger Protection who supposedly work on behalf of Nationwide. They said you have to go through credit card first. Finally received my paperwork from Sainsbury's Credit Card today after 18 days wait. They say I need written confirmation from Opodo that they won't refund me and written confirmation that insurance won't pay before they will even consider my claim. So both avenues for refund are basically backheeling it to each other and I'm left nowhere! :mad:
  • Look like it’s Monday for my direct debit then, otherwise I’ll be joining the claims queue.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2019 at 8:22PM
    bioboybill wrote: »
    I'm just getting the runaround. My insurance through Nationwide told me to contact International Passenger Protection who supposedly work on behalf of Nationwide. They said you have to go through credit card first. Finally received my paperwork from Sainsbury's Credit Card today after 18 days wait. They say I need written confirmation from Opodo that they won't refund me and written confirmation that insurance won't pay before they will even consider my claim. So both avenues for refund are basically backheeling it to each other and I'm left nowhere! :mad:

Hang in there, and keep plodding through, the system is designed to make you give up, don't.

Get the letter from Opodo and Nationwide Insurance and submit to the card company (even if the letter from Nationwide says go to your card company first).

If the card company come back saying no, then go back with that letter to the insurance. If they refund be aware that Opodo can contest the chargeback.

Yes this will take time and patience, but keep going you still have options no matter how frustrating it may seem right now.
  • bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    Hang in there, and keep plodding through, the system is designed to make you give up, don't.

Get the letter from Opodo and Nationwide Insurance and submit to the card company (even if the letter from Nationwide says go to your card company first).

If the card company come back saying no, then go back with that letter to the insurance. If they refund be aware that Opodo can contest the chargeback.

Yes this will take time and patience, but keep going you still have options no matter how frustrating it may seem right now.
    Thanks. The problem is that I can't get a letter from the insurance, as they won't even consider the matter without me going to the credit card first, and the credit card won't process the claim. It's the classic catch 22.
  • N4t4lie
    edited 11 October 2019 at 10:08PM
    bioboybill wrote: »
    Thanks. The problem is that I can't get a letter from the insurance, as they won't even consider the matter without me going to the credit card first, and the credit card won't process the claim. It's the classic catch 22.

Get a letter from the credit card and send it to Nationwide?

That really is unimpressive behaviour from an insurance company, they should know you can't Section 75 it as you paid an intermediary and that a 'normal' insolvency chargeback can't be done because Opodo are still trading. Yes you can claim using chargeback because you have not received the goods (in this case flight) as promised. If you have the correct cover I would expect them to pay in this case though.

Raise it as a complaint with Nationwide. As always, if you get into the complaints procedure you usually get someone who knows the process better and if they don't solve it to your satisfaction you can go to the Financial Ombudsman for an adjudication.
  • Nationwide will give you the letter if you push them.
  • dalo wrote: »
    Look like it’s Monday for my direct debit then, otherwise I’ll be joining the claims queue.

Same here 😭
  • Can anyone help me with some advice I booked Thomas cook flight only on sky scanner- and therefore it booked though an agency (travel up). Despite me checking in may when I became worried about the booking and travel up telling me in writing that all there flights were atol protected. I called them when the news came out about TC to be told they are not atol protected. They have now also told me that I can’t do a charge back claim (paid on my credit card) as them sending me the e ticket counts as me receiving My goods despite the flights (due on 1/10/19 for £1100) not taking place. They are saying they gave my money to Thomas cook already so I can’t claim. Is this true as I’m surely then all sending me a Email does not count as me receiving the goods they were selling as I didn’t enter into an agreement to buy an email it was to purchase a flight that they were selling and I never received said flight. I’m pretty sure aswell that they have kept the commission that they would have earned to sell my flight so how can they say I can’t claim under section 75. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated as I’m just stuck in a loop hole if no atol protection (despite them telling me I did) and coz it’s an agent no ability so Claim a refund
  • N4t4lie
    Can anyone help me with some advice I booked Thomas cook flight only on sky scanner- and therefore it booked though an agency (travel up). Despite me checking in may when I became worried about the booking and travel up telling me in writing that all there flights were atol protected. I called them when the news came out about TC to be told they are not atol protected. They have now also told me that I can’t do a charge back claim (paid on my credit card) as them sending me the e ticket counts as me receiving My goods despite the flights (due on 1/10/19 for £1100) not taking place. They are saying they gave my money to Thomas cook already so I can’t claim. Is this true as I’m surely then all sending me a Email does not count as me receiving the goods they were selling as I didn’t enter into an agreement to buy an email it was to purchase a flight that they were selling and I never received said flight. I’m pretty sure aswell that they have kept the commission that they would have earned to sell my flight so how can they say I can’t claim under section 75. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated as I’m just stuck in a loop hole if no atol protection (despite them telling me I did) and coz it’s an agent no ability so Claim a refund

There are others on here in the same situation with different agents and suffering the same problem. Maybe DM and see how they are getting on.

Did they provide an ATOL certificate when you booked? If not then I am afraid they were lying about you having cover.

You need to raise it with your bank and have it processed as a chargeback (I would agree with you a piece of paper is not supplying the goods in this case), but be prepared for the agent to contest it. If the bank sides with them you can then take your case to the Financial Ombudsman for an adjudication. Section 75 cannot be used as you did not purchase the flight directly with Thomas Cook.

If you need to familiarise yourself with the process there is a very good piece on the main website. If the bank won't raise a chargeback, raise it as a complaint, these have to be dealt with by a separate process and provide a written answer in a set timescale and you will need this to take the case to the Ombudsman in case they do not side with you.

The only other option would be to apply to the administrator, but in most cases you are unlikely to receive anywhere near a full refund.

You'll find people will try to fob you off to get you to go away, it can be hard but keep trying and be patient.

Hope that helps a bit and let the forum know how you get on it may help others now and in the future.
  • bufferz
    bufferz Posts: 74 Forumite
    Anyone who paid by direct debit got a refund yet? Or are we all waiting until Monday?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure