Faulty Laptop - what are my rights now?

Hi all,

Some of you may remember a post I made about a Dell laptop I purchased nearly a year ago and subsequently (after 3 repairs of the same fault) I got a full refund - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5924388

Well, unfortunately I decided to purchase an Asus laptop from an online business and almost the same thing has happened but with a bit of a twist.

I purchased the laptop in June 2019 and all was well until after a couple of months it developed the same fault as with the Dell's LCD screen - a white spot or blemish. After speaking to the online retailer I was given two options:

1. Generate a RMA and send the laptop directly to the manufacturer myself (free pick-up and drop off, all repairs under warranty)
2. Send the laptop back to the online retailer at my own expense and at my own risk for processing, whereby it would take an additional 4-6 weeks over sending directly to Asus, only for it to be sent to Asus anyway I was told

Naturally I opted for the first option and created a RMA to send directly to Asus, and the laptop was picked up just days later around mid-August. The whole process took about a month and I received the laptop back "repaired" in mid-September.

However, on receiving the laptop, I started it up and immediately found that the laptop was stuck in a power cycle of turning off and on again. With this I wasn't even able to determine if the original repair had worked. So, I booked it back in for repair via a new RMA directly with Asus and also immediately informed the online retailer. The laptop was picked up a couple of days later and sent back to Asus for assessment.

Over the course of the last 2 months I've been told directly by the third-party repairers that the laptop has required a number of major components to be replaced (Motherboard, Keyboard and AC Power Cable), technical advice has been sourced from Asus HQ and there have been various part supply problems which have delayed the repair. They have told me that they are unsure what the issue is other than what I have told them (turning off and on again automatically) and there is no guarantee that the laptop will be working once all of these parts have been replaced.

As you can imagine I'm now at the end of my patience and all the online retailer has said is I have two options:
1. Get the laptop sent back from Asus so that I can forward it to them for the 4-6 week additional process to start (no guarantee if this will help, their words!)
2. Obtain an "uplift number" from Asus which essentially means the online retailer will get a refund which will then be passed onto me - this cannot be provided to customers it seems as I've confirmed with Asus directly.

So now I'm without a laptop while more parts are sent to the repairers in the hope of getting it working, there is no option of getting a refund from the online retailer or Asus, and in general the online retailer has been completely unhelpful and condescending every time I have phoned them - words like "I'm trying to explain this in the simplest words possible for you...".

I've also tried to get a refund via my credit card company, stating to them that the laptop was faulty and presumably had these faults from the beginning. At the moment the application form is being sent through.

The only other options I can think of are to take one of them to Small Claims Court, wait out for the repair (I've been there before and had several repairs for the same issue with the Dell) or get a third-party involved like Watchdog or the like...or the 'papers.

I want to make it clear that Asus have been very amicable and are bemused by the situation with the online retailer as well.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Shoxt3r
    Shoxt3r Posts: 169
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Throughout this process I have been in touch with Asus' Complaints Team to get the matter resolved and after questioning about a possible benefit of sending the laptop to the retailer and again asking about an "uplift number" I've just received the following, very intriguing reply from them:
    Please note that we do not provide uplift numbers, it is up to the seller if they want to provide you a refund.
    As for a repair, there is no benefit for you when the shop send the unit in for repair.

As the manufacturer we offer the factory repair warranty. Within this service we do our up most best to return the unit within 10 working days, unfortunately repairs will be delayed when parts are required when not being on stock.The reasonable amount of time given is 30 calendar days. Only when we are unable to finish the repair within this given time, your case will be escalated for an alternative solution.

Naturally I've asked them what the options are if the repair takes more than 30 days, as it is nearing this timeframe in my case (I've effectively been without the laptop for 60 days really as the laptop was still faulty when it was returned to me!).
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would go for pursuing the credit card company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. That makes it the credit card company's problem.

If they do pay out, they will probably charge it back to the retailer anyway.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Shoxt3r
    Forumite
    Ectophile wrote: »
    I would go for pursuing the credit card company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. That makes it the credit card company's problem.

If they do pay out, they will probably charge it back to the retailer anyway.

Thanks - I've started the process of getting a claim form now.
    In the meantime the retailer is sticking to their guns and refusing to offer a refund - they will basically only consider a refund or repair if I go through them, which as I posted before has little to no benefit over me sending the unit to Asus directly.

Again, Asus have stated that until the laptop has been with them for 30 calendar days there is nothing else they can offer but a repair. Interestingly though I've had an email from the repair centre to say that the latest round of repairs have not worked and they need "technical advice from Asus".

There are now 2 days to go until the 30 calendar days time limit is up so I'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess and pursue my credit card provider in the meantime.

It seems like whatever happens now I'll be on for a new laptop - whether that's a new one, or the original laptop given that it's basically had every part replaced to my knowledge. Repairing at this stage seems to make no logical or financial sense to me but there we are!! :rotfl:
  • Shoxt3r
    Forumite
    Ok so after a long battle with both the retailer and manufacturer I'm now getting a full refund from Asus which should be with me in the next 1-2 months. Not ideal but at least it's on its way now. No mention of compensation for the time lost so I guess I'll just have to wait it out and then go laptop shopping once again!
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Given your track record, I would recommend buying a laptop with onsite repair warranty Dell, HP (and i believe other vendors) offer it. There is a price premium, but the service is usually next business day in your home and if something is still wrong you have the technician there and then to rectify it (or revisit soon after).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure