Email from Reclaim PPI

Hi,

I have had this reply from ReclaimPPI.co.uk, who we asked to check our PPI situation, back in August. Can anyone recommend what we do next? Plan to call Santander but wanted to ask here first. My husband doesn't really have store cards and didn't knowingly ask for PPI....

Thank-you very much for any advice.

Dear xxxxx

Customer reference: xxxx - Santander Store Card, number xxxxxxxxx had PPI.

Sometimes when we’re looking for PPI a lender might tell us about a type of PPI we can't usually handle with our automated systems.

This has happened in your case - we’ve just heard from Santander that you had PPI on one or more store cards, so in this instance you may wish to talk to Santander directly about making a claim, or visit the FCA website for help and support. Please note that you will need to contact Santander as soon as possible, as Santander will only allow a limited time to make a complaint.

You might not recall ever having a Store Card from Santander, they’re now responsible for many store cards, including Asda, B&Q, BHS, Burton, Comet, Currys, Debenhams, DFS, Dorothy Perkins, Etam, Evans, House of Fraser, Kwik Fit, Laura Ashley, Monsoon, Mothercare, New Look, Principles, River Island, Russell and Bromley, Top Shop and Wallis.

Please note this does not affect any of your other ongoing claims - we will of course email you any major updates or you can visit our Claims Tracker for an overview of your claims.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You need to speak directly to Santander.

The claims company isn't necessarily telling you the truth about you have PPI on the store cards as that would have involved them doing some work.

It's a good way of getting you to speak to them directly, rather than them forwarding your complaint on, while still getting their fee.

But the only way you'll find out it is to ask.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This means that the CMC is being lazy and passing the buck back to you.
  • Hi

Two quick questions, if any one can help?
    About my original question (above), am I able to contact Santander about this now that it is past the deadline, seen as we put the check in via the CMC before the 29th August?

If I can speak to them directly, does anyone have any hints on what I should say? We have no recollection of the store card or the PPI.

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    You need to find out if your complaint was actually sent to Santander first.

If the claims company didn't do anything with it, then you're out of time.

If it was submitted, you don't need any hints. You just tell them the truth.
  • Thank-you for the replies and help with this. We called Santander and they said they could see the PPI on the account and asked if we would like us to proceed with the claim. My husband said yes. Then they said that they could see that the claim involved a third party - the CMC - they asked if we would like them to stay on the file as part of the claim. We weren’t sure. Based on what I have read here, we don’t have to pay out to them now we are managing the claim ourselves? Is this correct? Can we remove them from the claim? What would people advise? Santander said we could go back and update the details anytime. TIA
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 21 October 2019 at 4:46PM
    Denise105 wrote: »
    Based on what I have read here, we don’t have to pay out to them now we are managing the claim ourselves? Is this correct?
    No. You need to manage the complaint whether you employed a company or not, as only you know why or if you were mis sold.

All you employed the claims company to do was to get your complaint to Santander, which they appear to have done. On that basis, you will still need to pay them their fee. But it all depends on your contract with them.
  • Hi
    We are still going through the above claim with Santander.
    We got this today in a letter today....

We're currently investigating your complaint about xxxxxx, taken out in January 2003.
    Based on the information you have given us and the records that we hold, we do not currently believe that we should uphold your complaint.
    However, you have indicated that had benefits from your employed that would have enabled you to continue making repayments should you have been unable to work.
    This may have affected your ability to make a claim on the policy, your eligibility for the policy of its overall appropriateness, but without further information we cannot consider whether this is the case.

We then have a form to fill in.

Am I understanding it correctly....they don't think we have a claim but we may have a right to claim (odd) based on the fact we didn't need PPI at the time?

Or are they saying we are in the wrong for taking out the policy?

Very hard to find the exact numbers for what they want (it was employment paperwork from nearly 20 years ago. We only keep it for 10 and then shred it and I have a feeling that we got the name of the company wrong on the original paperwork we sent through....my husband moved around a lot at the time (but the employment package was always very much the same)...I wonder if this will be a mark against us.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Denise
  • No.

They're saying you may not have been able to claim on the policy, but they need further information from you to know if this is true.

They will still consider your complaint, based on what you provide them.

There are no marks against you - just the facts which need to be considered.
  • Ok that is a help. Thanks
    If we couldn't have claimed, isn't that miss-selling?
  • Yes - that's what they're investigating!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure