Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • B16
    • By B16 7th Oct 19, 7:57 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    B16
    IVA done, what now?
    • 7th Oct 19, 7:57 PM
    IVA done, what now? 7th Oct 19 at 7:57 PM
    Hi,
    Not sure if anyone can advise me but I have now settled my IVA 🥳 but wondering what to do next, how to build up my credit score etc
    Any advice gratefully received
    Thanks
    B16
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Oct 19, 8:08 PM
    • 18,602 Posts
    • 17,507 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:08 PM
    • 7th Oct 19, 8:08 PM
    Hi,

Well for starters good news, you don’t have a credit score to build, so you can forget that one, when I completed my IVA the last thing I wanted was further credit, I decided to live within my means, and have continued to do so ever since.
    It’s payment history that counts, just pay bills on time, maybe get a sim only contact, no late payment or defaults, time will build a history for you.

So if you must use credit again, time is a great healer.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Oct 19, 9:49 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 8th Oct 19, 9:49 PM
    • 8th Oct 19, 9:49 PM
    When you say settled - does that mean you have agreed an early full and final settlement? Or do you mean you have completed your IVA at the originally agreed timescale?

I think the main thing to do is wait for your completion certificate then check any IVA creditors have updated the credit reference agency correctly so that after 6 years it drops off. Other than that do as sourcrates says, lives within your means and utilise your new budgeting skills! In doing so you will start to build a positive payment history
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

2,090Users online

Martin's Twitter