Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 43722 27th Sep 19, 4:02 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Flu Jab Eligibility
    • 27th Sep 19, 4:02 PM
    Flu Jab Eligibility 27th Sep 19 at 4:02 PM
    Hello again. Just wondering if anyone has up to date info on qualifying for flu jab at no charge. I have qualified for a number of years, but no longer so apparently. I do not qualify on age grounds either.

I am an informal carer for a relative, who does not live with me. I am trying to argue that as as such I should qualify for a flu jab. If I was to catch flu, it would put me out of action for some time, as regards visiting my relative. I am not sure that the Dr will agree with me.

Thank you
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 27th Sep 19, 4:18 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 27th Sep 19, 4:18 PM
    • 27th Sep 19, 4:18 PM
    I think your problem is that you are only an informal carer for somebody non resident. I'm surprised you got it for that reason before. I don't think your doctor would consider that you qualify. You may have blagged it on the following criteria but we're lucky
    receive a carer's allowance, or you're the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
    You can not class yourself as a main carer if it is only an informal arrangement.

If you are that worried then it only costs 8-10.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 27th Sep 19, 4:47 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    _shel
    • 27th Sep 19, 4:47 PM
    • 27th Sep 19, 4:47 PM
    Hello again. Just wondering if anyone has up to date info on qualifying for flu jab at no charge. I have qualified for a number of years, but no longer so apparently. I do not qualify on age grounds either.

I am an informal carer for a relative, who does not live with me. I am trying to argue that as as such I should qualify for a flu jab. If I was to catch flu, it would put me out of action for some time, as regards visiting my relative. I am not sure that the Dr will agree with me.

Thank you
    Originally posted by 43722
    Totally agree. From what you posted you never did qualify. sounds like you managed to blag it from a receptionist or doctor who didn't really understand or care about the criteria.
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 27th Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Happibunni
    • 27th Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    • 27th Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    NHS Scotland guidance states you need to be an unpaid carer to qualify (not sure if you are in Scotland though?).
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 27th Sep 19, 9:56 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    • 27th Sep 19, 9:56 PM
    • 27th Sep 19, 9:56 PM
    The info I can find simply states that if you're the main carer for someone whose welfare may be at risk if you were to be ill with the flu, you should have it.
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/flu-jabs
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/who-should-have-flu-vaccine/

However, proving this - especially as your relative doesn't live with you - could be difficult. I guess it depends on your specific situation, e.g. if there is nobody else who could step in, and the nature of the care you provide.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 27th Sep 19, 10:09 PM
    • 10,307 Posts
    • 36,316 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 27th Sep 19, 10:09 PM
    • 27th Sep 19, 10:09 PM
    Shop around - Asda have it for 7, Boots for almost twice that.
    If you’re concerned, better to buy in reassurance than try to negotiate around the NHS’s guidance.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 29th Sep 19, 10:04 AM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    unrecordings
    • 29th Sep 19, 10:04 AM
    • 29th Sep 19, 10:04 AM
    It could be that your doctor no longer considers you eligible, but without reference to your relative's doctor or the wider picture. As others have said, just paying for it at this stage is probably the quickest most effective way of protecting your relative this time (without resorting to doctor's letters etc)
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • By 43722 29th Sep 19, 1:04 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    • 29th Sep 19, 1:04 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 1:04 PM
    Thanks for the replies. All good advice, looks like 7 may be well spent.
    I may try crowdfunding lol.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 29th Sep 19, 3:27 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 29th Sep 19, 3:27 PM
    • 29th Sep 19, 3:27 PM
    Thanks for the replies. All good advice, looks like 7 may be well spent.
    I may try crowdfunding lol.
    Well, the success of immunizations does rely on herd immunity so CROWDfunding is the obvious route
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 29th Sep 19, 5:07 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    Well, the success of immunizations does rely on herd immunity so CROWDfunding is the obvious route
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Very good!

Incidentally that's what I'm relying on - I'm not someone who very obviously needs the vaccination, but if I got the flu I'd most likely be bedbound for a few weeks at least. However with my health condition it's about 50-50 whether I'd end up just as ill from having the jab (oversensitive drama-queen body, nothing wrong with the jab itself) but thankfully the other 3 family members in the house all qualify for a free vaccination anyway, so I for one am very thankful for herd immunity!
    Last edited by Spoonie Turtle; 29-09-2019 at 7:04 PM. Reason: Typo
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 29th Sep 19, 6:16 PM
    • 1,458 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Should be able to book mine next week or two. FYI anyone lurking, it's not a live culture, so you don't actually get the flu. If you're on chemo then advice is to get the jab in the last week of your cycle - that way your immune system is best placed to 'process' the vaccine to maximise its effect. Check with your own oncologist first of course - don't just believe me...
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 29th Sep 19, 7:35 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    unforeseen
    I'm on immuno-suppresants so it's a good thing that it's not a live vaccine.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 8th Oct 19, 5:30 AM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,488 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    Very good!

Incidentally that's what I'm relying on - I'm not someone who very obviously needs the vaccination, but if I got the flu I'd most likely be bedbound for a few weeks at least. However with my health condition it's about 50-50 whether I'd end up just as ill from having the jab (oversensitive drama-queen body, nothing wrong with the jab itself) but thankfully the other 3 family members in the house all qualify for a free vaccination anyway, so I for one am very thankful for herd immunity!
    Originally posted by Spoonie Turtle
    Different strains of influenza can be very virulent or surprisingly mild. I am the sibling with all the health issues but have never had influenza (jab first time this year but offered before). My mostly healthy sibling has had it twice, once as an older teen could barely stand let alone crawl up the stairs. Had to be assisted to even get to the toilet.

Then again at 40-ish. My sibling had carried on commuting by rail and tube into London for days before finally not making it into work! Gobsmacked to be medically diagnosed as influenza again since it was such a different experience. Felt like death warmed up, dizzy, achey of course, but not in the same league.

No doubt you Spoonie Turtle are at higher risk of worse symptoms than someone without your health issues. But if you do everything in your personal power to keep your immune system in the best shape (for you) including thinking positively you just never know. In so many ways your body and mind are stronger than others because of what you live with each day.
    Last edited by Fire Fox; 08-10-2019 at 5:36 AM.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • By 43722 21st Oct 19, 5:59 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jab Done. No financial transaction involved. Thank you to all.
    • jamesd
    • By jamesd 23rd Oct 19, 8:37 PM
    • 23,495 Posts
    • 15,831 Thanks
    jamesd
    Jab Done. No financial transaction involved. Thank you to all.
    Good.

"others involved directly in delivering health and social care such that they and vulnerable patients/clients are at increased risk of exposure to influenza"

includes you in the groups that GPs should use their discretion with. Per page 19-15 of the green book from Public Health England. Other parts of the country may differ.

Even working in say a charitable restaurant that mainly serves those in at risk groups is enough to ask, because protecting you protects them. And that protection is what the NHS is after.

"those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill" is another more restrictive group. Main carer is based on facts, not whether it's formal, informal, unpaid or paid.

"Vaccination should also be offered to household contacts of immunocompromised individuals, i.e. individuals who expect to share living accommodation on most days over the winter and therefore for whom continuing close contact is unavoidable". Immunnocompromised or not, if you're in regular close contact, ask your GP so they can use their clinical judgement. If that says immunise you, the NHS will pay.
    Last edited by jamesd; 23-10-2019 at 8:41 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

841Posts Today

7,454Users online

Martin's Twitter