Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 8th Sep 19, 5:25 PM
    • 2,897Posts
    • 2,151Thanks
    no1catman
    Kitty - final Vet trip.
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:25 PM
    Kitty - final Vet trip. 8th Sep 19 at 5:25 PM
    Sadly, last Thursday took our cat to the Vets for the last time - odd coming home alone.
    Fourteen and a quarter doesn't seem old (well our previous one made twenty), but senile feline dementia had taken hold, with her lack of appetite her weight loss was becoming more noticeable.

It'll take a while for the 'emptiness' to go away. Have no intention of getting another, she was so unique no one could replace her.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    • 20,029 Posts
    • 50,991 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    Sorry for your loss. It was the quietness of the house was what I noticed when my last dog had to leave us. Odd how much they can still make their presence felt even when they spend most of their time asleep.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Sep 19, 5:35 PM
    • 4,743 Posts
    • 7,548 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:35 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:35 PM
    Sadly, last Thursday took our cat to the Vets for the last time - odd coming home alone.
    Fourteen and a quarter doesn't seem old (well our previous one made twenty), but senile feline dementia had taken hold, with her lack of appetite her weight loss was becoming more noticeable.

It'll take a while for the 'emptiness' to go away. Have no intention of getting another, she was so unique no one could replace her.
    Originally posted by no1catman
    I'm so sorry. Having to make that final decision is the hardest cost of having a much beloved pet.

We thought the same as you - our old lady was so special, we just couldn't think of replacing her. But we didn't replace her - we adopted another special lady, with her own quirks and personality.

I believe that cats choose their 'staff', not the other way round. It may not be for a few weeks, it may not be for a few months - but I'm sure that you will be 'chosen' at some point in the future.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 8th Sep 19, 5:48 PM
    • 3,474 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:48 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:48 PM
    So sorry for your loss

I've always had two cats as it makes it a little bit easier when one dies. However, current cat doesn't do other cats so I am in a one cat situation. He is a healthy lump and looks like he will last a few more years yet - but when he does finally go I know the emptiness will be so difficult. I've been around cats pretty much all of my 66 years and - although he is an a"""hole at times he has the biggest personality of any cat I have had

He is irreplaceable

But I will replace him - with two. They will be different and will be from a shelter. They will need homes and I will want (as someone who lives alone) to have company and someone to make me get up in the morning and feed them.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 8th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 8th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 6:14 PM

We thought the same as you - our old lady was so special, we just couldn't think of replacing her. But we didn't replace her - we adopted another special lady, with her own quirks and personality.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    This. Martha will never be Rags though I found I couldn't live with another cat as I too had it in my mind I would never replace Rags. I also always said I wasn't lonely living on my own but I had no idea the cat made me feel that way until she went.

All the best with the grieving process, I know the first few days can be wildly unpleasant as you think you still see the cat.

Sorry for your loss x
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Sep 19, 9:52 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 12,354 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 8th Sep 19, 9:52 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 9:52 PM

Originally posted by no1catman
    Am so sorry for your loss .....& I know what you mean about leaving the vets without your 4 legged pal - it seems all wrong doesn't it?

Give yourself time - I'm not saying you'll change your mind but as time passes you might you're more open to the idea of getting another one than you think you'll ever be now.

We're considering the fostering route as we're not certain we could a) have another 4 legged pal around the house and/or b)have a four legged pal of the same breed.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 8th Sep 19, 9:58 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 7,614 Thanks
    Brambling
    • 8th Sep 19, 9:58 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 9:58 PM
    I'm sorry for your loss like all pet owners I know how painful that final trip is. In 2017 I lost both my cats within 6 months my last cat due to a RTA where she tried to crawl home very broken and unfortunately needed a final trip to the vet. My vet of 30 years gave great advice, which was go home and wait for six months before making any decisions and he was right. My current 6 yr rescue cat isn't a replacement for my other two he's his own character and he filled a cat shape hole when the house felt too empty. He was handed over to cat protection because he doesn't play nicely with other cats so he needs to be a only cat but that suits us both .

TBH no one could replace my fatcat she was such a character, she was 12 when I lost her and always so naughty my nephews would look for the 666 on the back of her neck
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 9th Sep 19, 10:49 AM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:49 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:49 AM
    Thanks everyone, for your kind words - really appreciated.

Could say more - but I'm not up to it yet.
    • Claddagh_Noir
    • By Claddagh_Noir 9th Sep 19, 2:36 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Claddagh_Noir
    • 9th Sep 19, 2:36 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 2:36 PM
    I am so very sorry for your loss. We lost our cat at 7 years old. We do not know what caused his passing, luckily, I was home when he went, it could have been a brain tumour we just do not know. The next day, we could not believe how empty the house felt without him. The first thing I would do is fuss him and then feed him. For such a small thing he had such a big impact on us.

What has helped me was having a photo album of all the pics of him on his own or with either myself and my other half. I created funny captions under each picture to look over fondly on.

We have not taken on another cat but we do make a fuss and stroke the cats we see on the street.

I hope your pain eases. x
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 9th Sep 19, 10:39 PM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 13,091 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I'm sorry for you loss and know how you feel.

I lost one of my old ladies in 2017. She died peacefully in her sleep which is the best way she could have gone.

I took her sister to the vet in May last year and made the decision to have her put to sleep when the vet diagnosed an aggressive and nasty cancer. Due to her age (1 month away from her 18th birthday), I was reluctant to put her through an operation and the cancer was likely to return very soon after. That was in May.

My house felt empty and i hated coming home from work with nothing to greet me.

In October last year, I rescued a couple of young sibling cats - they were 1 year old and had had a terrible start in their short life. They have not replaced my other cats as they are very different but they make the house feel alive again and they have helped me get over the grief.

I felt like you initially, that I would never get another cat but 5 months later, I felt ready to give a couple of rescues a good home.
    Debt 30k in 2008. Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free
    Mortgage free since 2014
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 11th Sep 19, 11:46 AM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    no1catman
    Just had a double-glazing guy in - measured the cat-flap pane to have it replaced by a new pane without the cat-flap, cut down any draught in the winter.
    In the coming days, expect to travel to a Cat Protection Rescue centre, (Bryncethin Bridgend), and donate the pet carrier, and enclosed litter tray.

I appreciate what posters have said - a cat could be good company, yet I'd prefer to be able to sleep at night. Kitty in the early years was hard work - her routine was - scratch the carpet to wake someone up (me), go downstairs - look through the French doors - 'do I want to go out after all, no - back upstairs. Her record was ten - wake-ups, but six was not unusual. Did it get any better, when the cat flap was fitted? Not a lot, got the hang of coming in, but took her years to use it to go out!
    Previous cat, vet visits were few and far between, annual jab and that was it (missed a few - so difficult to get her in the carrier) until the last few years.
    Kitty on the other hand used to need to go every few months!! Even went on hunger strike after being stressed out after an encounter with a couple of 'Toms'. Her Petplan fee has doubled in five years, not that they pay much back. Still a shock after in July the Vet saying what a healthy cat she was - but that was physically, but with her much reduced appetite she became a shadow of her former self - try to remember her as a five - kilo cat.

We're in our late sixties - whilst we both love cats (my username is a clue) can't take the risk of having another 'demanding' cat. Which is part of why the house so empty - no more meows, crying for attention (senile dementia can be very confusing) - miss her loud purrs when we go to her, and her piercing green eyes. And with her distinctive calico markings she was a pretty cat. But what is it with calicos fur drops away so often everywhere, it's a wonder she had any left!?

Sadly, where we live now there aren't many cats - living on a dual-carriageway is not cat friendly! Previous address with plenty of terraced houses they were plenty - had regulars to stop and talk to.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 11th Sep 19, 12:01 PM
    • 6,659 Posts
    • 8,720 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. I have my first cat at the moment and go cold thinking about this day coming.

I haven't been in this situation so can't pretend to know what it's like, but just wanted to add to the discussion above re getting another cat... Obviously it's a deeply personal decision and everyone differs on if/when they do it, but in case this helps anyone in the future with another option...

A friend of mine lost two in quick succession and missed having cats around but couldn't face getting another... He is now a fosterer for Cats Protection's Paws Protect service. It's an amazing service - it provides pet fostering for people fleeing domestic abuse. Not wanting to leave a pet behind is one of many barriers to people escaping these situations. Paws Protect takes people's cat(s) and places them with a foster carer for up to six months, while the owner gets back on their feet. When the owner's ready, the cats are returned to them. My friend has had several cats/pairs of cats so far (which I'm always excited about until I remember they represent a family in deep distress) and found it really rewarding. Cats Protection pay all the costs (food, litter, vet bills - the works).

Anyway, I didn't want to hijack the thread and am sorry again for your loss.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 13th Sep 19, 9:17 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    no1catman
    Went to the Cat Protection Centre in Bryncethin, Bridgend today, took down a couple of items for them, and made a donation. Couldn't help but look at the cats & kittens - some recently operated on, sad that a couple of more mature cats been there since June, but good to see many are already 'spoken' for.
    https://www.cats.org.uk/bridgend?fbclid=IwAR3n0dMWXFjw-3i4AW66L9S3BFaNO4RTvQ-WNWb-aaGMQ5SSA4iV8DYQOmM&fbclid=IwAR3n0dMWXFjw-3i4AW66L9S3BFaNO4RTvQ-WNWb-aaGMQ5SSA4iV8DYQOmM
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 14th Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    • 7,683 Posts
    • 11,300 Thanks
    KxMx
    I lost my Lily in April, had to take her on that final trip to the Vets. She was just shy of 14 and had small cell lymphoma.

Now I'm beginning to come round and am going to enquire soon about fostering kittens. I wanted to do that even when I had Lily.

I don't want to get too attached as financially keeping a cat of my own is (really sadly) not going to be a possibility for a good long time. I thought kittens as they wouldn't be with me long before going to new homes.

Weaned or weaning kittens would suit me and I'd not do it full time either, with kitty free weeks in between litters. That way I get the animal contact some of the time and my freedom the rest of the time.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 22nd Sep 19, 7:10 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    no1catman
    Thursday - collected her casket from the vet, though no engraved brass plate on it , as happened previously! good to bring her home

And Friday the cat-flap pane was replaced - donated the cat-flap to a cat rescue place.

Still miss her and her ways, she was unlike any other cat we've known.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 22nd Sep 19, 8:16 PM
    • 25,239 Posts
    • 29,474 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    (((hugs))) Some do seem to leave extra large pawprints on our hearts.

Whenever you feel up to it (days, weeks, months ... ) please consider posting a digital photo of your extra special girl.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 22nd Sep 19, 8:35 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    nickcc
    We lost our two dogs when we were in our fifties, waited five years, as we felt we were being disloyal, until we got a rescue dog. She passed earlier this year at the age of 14 and there's no way we will be having another one as I am mid seventies and my Wife only five years behind.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 22nd Sep 19, 9:15 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    no1catman
    (((hugs))) Some do seem to leave extra large pawprints on our hearts.

Whenever you feel up to it (days, weeks, months ... ) please consider posting a digital photo of your extra special girl.
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    Tried 'copy' of the photo image, but nothing happened after 'paste'!?
    • oscarward
    • By oscarward 24th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    oscarward
    We lost our 10.5 yo dog 3 weeks ago , it took us 2 days to decide to have another one. So 4 days ago we picked up an 8 week old puppy.

He’s not exactly filled the hole in our lives and is not a substitute, but.. Early days but we love him to bits already and he is settling in nicely. Still shed a tear for our previous dog and still miss him.

Every person is different but we feel our decision was right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

37Posts Today

2,862Users online

Martin's Twitter