Water Bills questions and comment

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It is not unusual for one company to supply water and another company deal with sewerage.

A situation where you have an inaccessible meter is not acceptable - get Southern Water to sort it out; or complain to the Consumer Council for Water. http://www.ccwater.org.uk/

You should have checked the meter reading when you moved in July. Your next bills(water and sewerage) will probably be based on an estimated start meter reading.

You will probably get bills for the whole amount, but it is normal to allow customers to pay by monthly direct debit. However without regular meter readings it will be difficult to estimate bills as your consumption could differ from the previous occupants.
  • pedalbin
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    It is not unusual for one company to supply water and another company deal with sewerage.

A situation where you have an inaccessible meter is not acceptable - get Southern Water to sort it out; or complain to the Consumer Council for Water. http://www.ccwater.org.uk/

You should have checked the meter reading when you moved in July. Your next bills(water and sewerage) will probably be based on an estimated start meter reading.

You will probably get bills for the whole amount, but it is normal to allow customers to pay by monthly direct debit. However without regular meter readings it will be difficult to estimate bills as your consumption could differ from the previous occupants.

Thanks for your reply. We had looked for a meter but not found one, so assumed that the property wasn’t metered. I’ll wait and see what our first bill from Southern water is . . . ��
  • MadMuncher
    MadMuncher Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2019 at 9:44PM
    Options
    In April this this year I moved house into a new build.
    I was previously paying SW Water Based £13 a month based on consumption for water and sewerage on a metered supply. I am a single person who works full time. When I moved and gave my final meter reading the Bill was only a few pounds (less than 10) in my favour, so pretty close for the 8 years I had been there.
    When I moved I set up an account with SW water who set the direct debit up at £13 a month, same as before, still a single person working the same pattern so I though that was fair and right.
    This month I suddenly find that I have an account for Icosa water for waste water. So, phone up SW water to check, the confirm that Icosa Have taken over the waste water provision for the new build estate. I check my SW Water bill to see that that I am only be charged for water and not for sewerage.
    So Icosa wanted me to set up a direct debit plan. And they want £35 a month. This would make my water bill £48 a month for water and waste. On the Icosa bumpf it says that the charges shouldn’t be any more than SW Water, so how do they arrive at the figure of £35 a month when in fact I am already overpaying SW Water, as there are no sewage charges from them.
    I never used that amount; my current meter readings are right so no leaks etc. Icosa haven’t read the meter.
    They have no online portal so I can’t easily what they are basing things on.
    I have emailed them explain this, not had a reply yet, but I’ll let you know what they say.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    MadMuncher wrote: »
    In April this this year I moved house into a new build.
    I was previously paying SW Water Based £13 a month based on consumption for water and sewerage on a metered supply. I am a single person who works full time. When I moved and gave my final meter reading the Bill was only a few pounds (less than 10) in my favour, so pretty close for the 8 years I had been there.
    When I moved I set up an account with SW water who set the direct debit up at £13 a month, same as before, still a single person working the same pattern so I though that was fair and right.
    This month I suddenly find that I have an account for Icosa water for waste water. So, phone up SW water to check, the confirm that Icosa Have taken over the waste water provision for the new build estate. I check my SW Water bill to see that that I am only be charged for water and not for sewerage.
    So Icosa wanted me to set up a direct debit plan. And they want £35 a month. This would make my water bill £48 a month for water and waste. On the Icosa bumpf it says that the charges shouldn’t be any more than SW Water, so how do they arrive at the figure of £35 a month when in fact I am already overpaying SW Water, as there are no sewage charges from them.

To be paying SW water only £13 a month for metered water and sewerage you obviously have very low water consumption - approx. 20 cubic metres(m3) a year.

If Icosa assume you will use the UK average of 55m3 pa, that would cost £208 with SW Water.

Could it be that Icosa have(wrongly) assumed that there will be two people using average consumption(110m3) in your property?

You need a detailed breakdown of charges.
  • MadMuncher
    Options
    Icosa, got back teh next day and now know that I am 1 person households and have reduced the DD to £10, to see how things go, meanwhile I'll be watching SW Water to see if they reduce their amount at the next meter reading.

I have found SW Water very good at adjusting payments downwards in the past
  • leegray88
    Options
    good idea :)
  • n0b0dy
    Options
    I have just had to get rid of the current softener as the replacement would cost > £1500 just to soften the water, please tell me this is not necessary?

I'm failing to understand why we pay for water being supplied and taken away, when we need to (i) soften it to protect our houses and appliances and (ii) filter it to be able to use it using our own expenses.
  • tim_p
    tim_p Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It’s not necessary. Unless you live in a hard water area and prefer soft water.
  • Nemo72
    Nemo72 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    wrote: »
    I live alone in a four bedroom house, I have a water meter. When I first moved in two years ago I was charged 18 pounds a month. this was then changed to 29 pounds a month and this year has been changed to 48 pounds a month. I have asked for the meter to be checked but so far this has not happenedalthough Anglia Water have said that they will only charge me the 29 pounds a month for the time being. I do not have a swimming pool.
    Doreen

it sounds a bit as if they are teasing you, doesn't it?
  • silinks01
    Options
    I have discovered that I had been paying too much for my water from two water companies.

On your bill, it explains the charges for water supply and water removal. Where there is a reduction if the water off your roof is not processed by the water company.

The rain water from my roof was going into a soakaway. ( the ground ) and not into the sewer system. So I filled in the form as my neighbours had. The one Company sent some people out. Who put dye in the water system and traced the waste water. If they found the dye there was no reduction. Result a reduction in the metered water bill. But only from then on. Not the many years we had been effectively overcharged. They also found manhole covers which were not up to current standards. Myself and my neighbours happy chappies...

Contacted another Water Company about a new build property to see if I could have similar success. It only took a few minutes on the phone to sort it out. No forms to fill in. They didn't need to send people out to trace the waste water. As they had the plans of the estate and knew that the the roof rainwater was not being fed into the sewer system. Only repayed one year of overpayment. Not the amount really owed, 12years.

So in this estate, 196 properties are being over charged. When I mentioned this and asked whether they would be contacting the bill payers, they went all quiet....... Leading me to suspect that all water companies do this. How many other newbuilds are being overcharged from day one?

May be something for you Martin?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure