Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sludge7
    • By sludge7 29th Aug 19, 4:11 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    sludge7
    Best time of year to buy annual season ticket
    • 29th Aug 19, 4:11 PM
    Best time of year to buy annual season ticket 29th Aug 19 at 4:11 PM
    I'm taking the plunge and buying a season train ticket and selling my car. My question is this:

Do I buy a ticket to start on Monday and finish near the end of December and buy an annual ticket then to maximise the length of time I can travel on the current fare before it goes up in January?

Or does the premium I pay for buying a ticket for four months cancel out those savings and would it be better to just buy the annual ticket now?

Have tried Googling but nobody on the internet seems to have asked this question before...!

Thanks!
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 30th Aug 19, 10:26 AM
    • 7,205 Posts
    • 7,959 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 30th Aug 19, 10:26 AM
    • 30th Aug 19, 10:26 AM
    Not had to do it for a while, but I always timed my annual ticket to start very early in the new year - as I recall there's a small window just before the price rise takes effect but after the christmas holidays. And used a cashback credit card to buy it.

Do you have any holiday booked between now and christmas ?

If you do, look at splitting the shorter term ones to take you to just befor your holiday and thenstart again after - you can specify any period between a month and a year.

You can play around with the season ticket calculator her to work out the best combinatino for your particular route / work cycle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,828Users online

Martin's Twitter