Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Equine
    • By Equine 23rd Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Equine
    Legal Insurance for Charity Volunteeers
    • 23rd Jan 19, 3:09 PM
    Legal Insurance for Charity Volunteeers 23rd Jan 19 at 3:09 PM
    Doe anyone know of any home or other insurance policies that offer legal protection for charity volunteers? My home insurance policy only covers legal helpline and public liability should I lose a court case. The actual legal fees to defend the action are NOT covered as the policy wording only includes claims for work as an Employee?
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 23rd Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    • 5,060 Posts
    • 3,307 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 23rd Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    • 23rd Jan 19, 3:14 PM
    Approach the charity they are working for.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Equine
    • By Equine 23rd Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Equine
    • 23rd Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    • 23rd Jan 19, 4:13 PM
    Can't as its the charity that are potentially going to take action.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 24th Jan 19, 1:39 AM
    • 40,152 Posts
    • 37,555 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 24th Jan 19, 1:39 AM
    • 24th Jan 19, 1:39 AM
    have you checked that the home insurance doesn't cover your actions as a volunteer? I ask, because our charity's insurance in some places specifies that the term 'employer' also covers volunteers.

I'd be surprised if you can take out any insurance to cover an existing situation. one of the expectations is that you declare anything which might give rise to a claim. It's one of the reasons why it's no use joining a union just because you've got a problem: they won't cover THAT problem.

It must be pretty serious for a charity to consider taking legal action against a volunteer. Did you do what they say you did? Honestly, paid legal advice might be your best bet.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Equine
    • By Equine 24th Jan 19, 10:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Equine
    • 24th Jan 19, 10:16 AM
    • 24th Jan 19, 10:16 AM
    Yes, I have checked with the home insurance provider and appreciate that any new cover cannot cover existing situations.
    I am trying to find an insurer that does not have this "employee" restriction, so can advertise the differences in cover level to others doing voluntary work.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 24th Jan 19, 3:33 PM
    • 40,152 Posts
    • 37,555 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 24th Jan 19, 3:33 PM
    • 24th Jan 19, 3:33 PM
    I'm not at work so can't check, but I am fairly sure that our charity's insurance covers us against our volunteers doing anything they shouldn't, in just the same way as our employees are covered.

the ONLY situation in which I can imagine we'd contemplate taking legal action against a volunteer would be if there was fraud involved. Can you imagine the fallout if charities made a habit of suing their volunteers?

Are you a volunteer with this charity, worried about being sued, or one of the trustees? There are definitely ways of mitigating any risks to volunteers which would be far far better than individual volunteers attempting to self-insure.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Access Insurance
    • By Access Insurance 25th Jan 19, 9:11 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Access Insurance
    • 25th Jan 19, 9:11 AM
    • 25th Jan 19, 9:11 AM
    My opinion, to start with, would be to argue that the word Employee includes work as a volunteer. Did you sign any documents governing volunteer work at the charity?
    • Vegastare
    • By Vegastare 17th Apr 19, 4:59 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    Vegastare
    • 17th Apr 19, 4:59 PM
    • 17th Apr 19, 4:59 PM
    Just wondered if your partner/spouse is in a union as it might give legal protection to you.
    While I understand you are a volunteer they hate disputes. Plus I agree with others the insurance should clearly insure you as a volunteer. Did you have a team leader/volunteer manager who was actually employed by the charity, if so what is there part in this.

As for a charity. In my opinion as a former charity worker they hate bad press. So they need to have a very good case against you.

I think maybe a solicitor would give 30min advice for free or see CAB.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

1,708Users online

Martin's Twitter