Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kit1
    • By Kit1 2nd Sep 18, 5:54 PM
    • 328Posts
    • 380Thanks
    Kit1
    Moving to Ayrshire
    • 2nd Sep 18, 5:54 PM
    Moving to Ayrshire 2nd Sep 18 at 5:54 PM
    Not sure if this is the best page but we are looking for a small flat around the area and wondered if anyone had any advice on the best parts. We have seen some in Saltcoats but as we are relocating from England we don't know the areas well.

TIA
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 3rd Sep 18, 12:22 AM
    • 10,278 Posts
    • 5,299 Thanks
    missile
    • 3rd Sep 18, 12:22 AM
    • 3rd Sep 18, 12:22 AM
    To rent or buy?
    I would suggest you rent and give yourself time to look around before making a purchase.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Kit1
    • By Kit1 3rd Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Kit1
    • 3rd Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    • 3rd Sep 18, 12:31 PM
    Sorry forgot to say buying.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
    • elly68
    • By elly68 14th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 6,217 Thanks
    elly68
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 4:57 PM
    do you have jobs to go to ,if so where .if not I love ayr itself theres a train station and flats are relatively cheap .
    Barclay card 0% 72736 set payment 266 a month 35 months bos cc 20% /8600 virgin cc 32 months 0% 6645 Santan loan =7,040 =total 28,960.. yip debt increased thats halls for you x
    Lifes a beach.go walk on one Arbroath, Blackness, Crammond , Dunbar, Eyemouth ballyliffen,st andrews,corby,
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 14th Sep 18, 10:12 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Hattie625
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:12 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 10:12 PM
    Ayrshire native.

Avoid Kilmarnock, Irvine, Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning, Kilbirnie and Ardrossan.

Beith and Dalry are okay.

The coastal towns of Ayr (some parts: avoid Newton-on-Ayr), Prestwick and Troon are desirable. Troon is very desirable but Prestwick is more affordable and (in my view) the best of the 3. All these places are ideally suitable for commuting to Glasgow.

Northern areas: Skelmorlie, Largs, Fairlie, Seamill and West Kilbride are all desirable places. Largs is the largest of these and has a good secondary school.

Great Cumbrae (Millport) is a lovely wee island and easy to commute to the mainland (10 minute ferry to Largs, with fast rail link to Paisley and Glasgow).

Girvan is too far south from the main centres, former seaside resort which has seen better days.

Avoid Maybole (north and inland of Girvan).

Ballantrae is a lovely village but too far south of the main centres. It is on the southern boundary of South Ayrshire.

Avoid the inland ex-mining areas (eg Dalmellington, Patna, Cumnock, New Cumnock, Darvel, Auchenleck). The inhabitants are fiercely loyal to these places but it would be quite difficult to integrate as a newcomer. While there is beautiful countryside surrounding these areas, the towns/villages are not attractive with a few notable exceptions (eg Sorn village).
    • golden_gurl
    • By golden_gurl 16th Dec 18, 3:48 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    golden_gurl
    • 16th Dec 18, 3:48 PM
    • 16th Dec 18, 3:48 PM
    Ayrshire native.

Avoid Kilmarnock, Irvine, Saltcoats, Stevenston, Kilwinning, Kilbirnie and Ardrossan.

Beith and Dalry are okay.

The coastal towns of Ayr (some parts: avoid Newton-on-Ayr), Prestwick and Troon are desirable. Troon is very desirable but Prestwick is more affordable and (in my view) the best of the 3. All these places are ideally suitable for commuting to Glasgow.

Northern areas: Skelmorlie, Largs, Fairlie, Seamill and West Kilbride are all desirable places. Largs is the largest of these and has a good secondary school.

Great Cumbrae (Millport) is a lovely wee island and easy to commute to the mainland (10 minute ferry to Largs, with fast rail link to Paisley and Glasgow).

Girvan is too far south from the main centres, former seaside resort which has seen better days.

Avoid Maybole (north and inland of Girvan).

Ballantrae is a lovely village but too far south of the main centres. It is on the southern boundary of South Ayrshire.

Avoid the inland ex-mining areas (eg Dalmellington, Patna, Cumnock, New Cumnock, Darvel, Auchenleck). The inhabitants are fiercely loyal to these places but it would be quite difficult to integrate as a newcomer. While there is beautiful countryside surrounding these areas, the towns/villages are not attractive with a few notable exceptions (eg Sorn village).
    Originally posted by Hattie625
    Hattie,

I found this extremely interesting, thank you. I too am looking to move to Ayrshire or the surrounding areas. I have found a house in Mauchline and wondered if you have any knowledge of this area? Thank you!
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 16th Dec 18, 4:17 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 16th Dec 18, 4:17 PM
    • 16th Dec 18, 4:17 PM
    Not sure if this is the best page but we are looking for a small flat around the area and wondered if anyone had any advice on the best parts. We have seen some in Saltcoats but as we are relocating from England we don't know the areas well.

TIA
    Originally posted by Kit1
    Would not relocate to Scotland, Most of the professional people I know are thinking about moving to England to get away from an oppressive government and high taxes etc.
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 17th Dec 18, 2:18 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 6,137 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 17th Dec 18, 2:18 PM
    • 17th Dec 18, 2:18 PM
    Ayrshire is a big county. I am assuming you will be moving for work, where do you need to commute to and how long are you willing to commute each day?
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 17th Dec 18, 2:23 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 6,137 Thanks
    bap98189
    • 17th Dec 18, 2:23 PM
    • 17th Dec 18, 2:23 PM
    Hattie,

I found this extremely interesting, thank you. I too am looking to move to Ayrshire or the surrounding areas. I have found a house in Mauchline and wondered if you have any knowledge of this area? Thank you!
    Originally posted by golden_gurl
    In my experience Mauchline itself is OK. It's a fairly small town, and one or two of the pubs can be a bit rough, but you get that most places. Like most Ayrshire towns there are very few shops left, but as long as you have a car, it's not the worst place in the world.

It's handy for Kilmarnock and Ayr, but nobody shops there anymore. Nowadays the M77 takes you straight to Silverburn in less than 15 mins.
    Last edited by bap98189; 27-07-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 28th Dec 18, 12:10 AM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    Would not relocate to Scotland, Most of the professional people I know are thinking about moving to England to get away from an oppressive government and high taxes etc.
    Originally posted by Hasbeen
    Glad that's not a sweeping generalisation

Tax- no extra costs if you earn < 33k, 10 a week extra at 50k

In Scotland you get
    • No prescription charges
    • No tuition fees (if there several years)
    • Better ran NHS
    • Better run local services
    • Better broadband- was at a farm cottage in the back of Mauchline last week and the tenant told me that they were installing fibre over the next 2 months (new poles to feed 5 farms and 3 cottages)

The councils are better run- I stay in East Ayrshire and a 3 bedroom council house is 85 a week in rent.

I stay and work in Ayrshire and like it. The people are good and decent, you get a few muppets but that is the same all over the world.
    baldly going on...
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 28th Dec 18, 12:13 AM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    You can also rent before you buy- the new tenancy agreement is a PRT now - for private lets.
    There is no 6 month minimum term and the tenant can give 28 days notice after 1 day of living there.
    There are restrictions on the landlord ending a tenancy - there are no 'no-fault' evictions now for tenancies started after 1st December 2017 in Scotland
    baldly going on...
    • Lupus_Lou
    • By Lupus_Lou 27th Jul 19, 4:34 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Lupus_Lou
    This is an old thread but just wanted to say thank you very much to everyone who has posted and glad to see a few others were informed along the way.
    We are considering Scotland because of Brexit. We would be Brexiles/Brefugees.
    One of my colleagues is from the area and her view is the Scotland has a much fairer society and fewer of the "hangups" of England.
    I would have to leave my job but as a Registered Nurse I can get a job just about anywhere even if on a lower grade/wage.
    The next steps for us are to visit the area next spring and see what we think and like.
    In the meantime, thank you to everyone who took the time to reply

Lou x
    • Lupus_Lou
    • By Lupus_Lou 27th Jul 19, 4:41 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Lupus_Lou
    Sorry, just realised I wasn't the OP!����
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 15th Aug 19, 5:28 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Ayrshire native.

Avoid Maybole.
    I was about to post a thread like the OP but I see they have beaten me to it. I currently live in Galloway but I want to move closer Glasgow,Ayr or Paisley as there a far better job opportunities there for me. I am just about to finish up my degree and look for a job so Im thinking Ayrshire will give me the country feel but is a quick and easy commute to get the benefits of being close to Glasgow.

what is it specifically about the areas above that you would avoid?
    I have heard that the 3 town can be very rough but have little experience of them to make this judgement myself. I was considering maypole, Troon, prestwick, Kilwinning and kilmarnock or Paisley/Renfrew.
    they all seem very competitively priced with the Renfrewshire area being higher priced as expected. being closer to the airport etc.
    If I move to the north Ayrshire area I will have a choice of 3 hospitals that are a reasonable commute for work (nurse).
    any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Mum to 8 troopersDave Ramsey and Martin Lewis are my Money Saving Heros.
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 15th Aug 19, 6:55 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 1,621 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    I would vote for Kilmarnock and East Ayrshire, I live here and things are fine
    baldly going on...
    • SPOWER
    • By SPOWER 17th Aug 19, 3:50 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    SPOWER
    This really is a silly question. Not sure what responses you want.
    • Supatramp
    • By Supatramp 30th Oct 19, 8:48 AM
    • 463 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Supatramp
    Ayrshire native.

Avoid the inland ex-mining areas (eg Dalmellington, Patna, Cumnock, New Cumnock, Darvel, Auchenleck). The inhabitants are fiercely loyal to these places but it would be quite difficult to integrate as a newcomer.

While I would agree with most of this, but Darvel?? It isn't an ex mining area for a start, it's an old lace making area, and as an incomer to Newmilns, next door to Darvel, of 30 years, I would totally disagree with the integration matter.

Quite frankly, as the reply ranged over all Ayrshire, I suspect that the person has little experience of actually living here!!!
    David.
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 30th Oct 19, 12:19 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 6,137 Thanks
    bap98189
    While I would agree with most of this, but Darvel?? It isn't an ex mining area for a start, it's an old lace making area, and as an incomer to Newmilns, next door to Darvel, of 30 years, I would totally disagree with the integration matter.

Quite frankly, as the reply ranged over all Ayrshire, I suspect that the person has little experience of actually living here!!!
    Originally posted by Supatramp
    I moved to Darvel about 35 years ago. Back then it was incredibly insular which meant I got bullied at school. But back then it was still a lace town where half the population lived, worked and shopped in the town and you would always be an "incomer".

Now all the factories are demolished and are housing estates. The population has doubled, there are only a handful of shops left, and the demographics have changed hugely, not least because pretty much the entire population commutes to Glasgow or EKB.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,920Users online

Martin's Twitter