Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grahamn
    • By grahamn 28th Nov 15, 4:11 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    grahamn
    Collective Switch
    • 28th Nov 15, 4:11 PM
    Collective Switch 28th Nov 15 at 4:11 PM
    I've just tried to switch from Sainsbury's to the British Gas December 2016 collective switch.

After the initial communication from BG about my switch date and meter readings, I heard nothing.

I rang them up the day after the switch was meant to happen to ask when they wanted readings, only to be told they had them. The trouble is, they were not actuals and were in fact over estimates!!!

After half an hr on the phone with BG the correct actuals were entered on their system (I think!).

Then today I get an email from BG saying they want my readings for my switch over, quoting the switch date that was 3 days earlier than the email; they go on to say, otherwise an estimated read will be used! So have now gone online and supplied the same reading yet again.

If that wasn't enough, Sainsbury's have sent me a bill, but no mention of it being final, or mentioning any switch.

This is not very efficient so far and I sincerely hope I'm not going to be double billed here by what is effectively the same organisation!

I hope the savings made, make the hassle worthwhile. If I knew what was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered.

MSE - Getting a good deal on these collectives is only good if the switch actually works and is trouble-free. So far mine has needed intervention and repeat requests for the same information. If that was not enough, the billing estimation / error (for what should be the final bill) from the outgoing supplier made it more troublesome....and there's no reason why any of these issues should have arisen.
    Last edited by grahamn; 28-11-2015 at 4:39 PM.
Page 6
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 4th Mar 16, 10:51 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    So I'm not the only one wondering what the heck is going on with BG! I must have been one of the first to sign up (switching from Sainsburys energy BACK to BG, was a BG customer from May 2007 to Dec 2014!), got the "welcome to BG" email 4th Feb, 2 more emails about setting up my password (which I did) 16th Feb then request for first meter reading 24th Feb - which I gave using the link provided in the email, also put the same reading into my Sainsburys accounts so both companies had the same readings for last and first.

No emails from BG since then, looked online at my Sainsburys account and see I'm now on their standard tariff as the Feb 2016 fix had expired, called BG (2 days ago), my account still not set up, talking to the collective switch team "I'm flagging your account to keep tabs on it, will check in a couple of days and call you".

Sainsburys standard tariff is somewhat more expensive than the BG tariff, I'm wondering if, once BG get their act organised, they'll use the readings I gave on 24th Feb to start my account - and close the Sainsburys account.

Almost as chaotic as a few years back when I tried to switch to Scottish Power and eventually found that the main electricity meter database had wrong info about my meter, whcih stopped the transfer. Thankfully that error has been corrected!
  • British Gas Rep Jamie
    So I'm not the only one wondering what the heck is going on with BG! I must have been one of the first to sign up (switching from Sainsburys energy BACK to BG, was a BG customer from May 2007 to Dec 2014!), got the "welcome to BG" email 4th Feb, 2 more emails about setting up my password (which I did) 16th Feb then request for first meter reading 24th Feb - which I gave using the link provided in the email, also put the same reading into my Sainsburys accounts so both companies had the same readings for last and first.

No emails from BG since then, looked online at my Sainsburys account and see I'm now on their standard tariff as the Feb 2016 fix had expired, called BG (2 days ago), my account still not set up, talking to the collective switch team "I'm flagging your account to keep tabs on it, will check in a couple of days and call you".

Sainsburys standard tariff is somewhat more expensive than the BG tariff, I'm wondering if, once BG get their act organised, they'll use the readings I gave on 24th Feb to start my account - and close the Sainsburys account.

Almost as chaotic as a few years back when I tried to switch to Scottish Power and eventually found that the main electricity meter database had wrong info about my meter, whcih stopped the transfer. Thankfully that error has been corrected!
    Originally posted by Chrishazle
    Hi Chrishazle, sorry to hear of the delay in getting your BG account all set up on the Collective Switch Tariff.
    Rest assured, there will be no problem using the transfer meter reading you submitted on the 24th of Feb to close down your Sainsbury Energy account & get the new account set up with us.
    It sounds like everything's now in hand & a colleague in our Collective Switch Team is now monitoring this.
    However, please give me a shout if I can help with anything further. You can email me directly at talktous@britishgas.co.uk. Please include your full address & any reference number given. Please also quote your MSE Username and MSE Forums in the subject heading. Cheers, Jamie.
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British Gas Rep Jamie
    I have the same story as many others regarding this collective switch. Was due to be switched over on 23rd Feb but I'm afraid that I am still waiting despite trying to submit meter readings via the app, online via the computer and even submitted them a few days ago by phone.
    Contacted the collective telephone number the other day only to hear a recorded message saying the control room had been evacuated!
    Worst switch experience ever.
    RR
    Originally posted by robbieroy
    Hi robbieroy, nothing to worry about. You should be able to submit your meter readings at https://www.britishgas.co.uk/OpeningMeterRead/Anonymous-read/Entry/ If any probs please email them over to me at talktous@britishgas.co.uk. You’ll just need to include your full address & any reference number given. Please also quote your MSE Username and MSE Forums in the subject heading. Cheers, Jamie.
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British Gas Rep Jamie
    I decided to take advantage of the Martin Lewis collective switch from Sainsbury`s Energy to British Gas, hoping for the best but expecting the usual hassle and so it came about. For dual fuel I was quoted a monthly payment of just £42.47. Down from £70.Excellent.
    Received an e-mail on the 26th Feb informing me the account was active from the 25th and could they have my initial readings. Didn`t see the email until the 27th. Submitted the readings online. Message tells me they are "not what we expected" and that estimates had already been used.
    Another email from BG arrived 3rd March telling me they`ve cancelled my direct debit "as asked". By whom??? So I phone and after waiting what seems an eternity get to speak to the usual hapless telesales person who doesn`t know who cancelled the DD or why. But suggests it might be because the amount has been changed to £56+. If British Gas were new to game it might have some excuse but it seems even the simplest of things are just too much for them. BG run Sainsbury`s Energy, so you would have thought it was a doddle for them to switch things around.
    Originally posted by greatuncle
    Hi greatuncle, not what we like to hear. I trust my colleague you spoke to earlier has now sorted everything for you. However, if I can look into anything further please email me directly at talktous@britishgas.co.uk. We’ll just need you to include your full address & any reference number given. Please also quote your MSE Username and MSE Forums in the subject heading. Cheers, Jamie.
    • ubdai
    • By ubdai 4th Mar 16, 4:41 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ubdai
    Hi Ubdai, I understand it's not a great first impression but I'm sure you won't regret your decision. Just so you know there's a specific way to submit readings for the opening of your account rather than a bill & it's possible you were submitting reading to be used for a bill. You can use the following link https://www.britishgas.co.uk/OpeningMeterRead/Anonymous-read/Entry/ to submit your opening readings or if it's easier just email your details to talktous@britishgas.co.uk, including your MSE Username in the subject heading. Cheers, Matt
    Originally posted by British Gas Rep Matt
    Arslan Sharif has just emailed me again saying that the meter readings that the call center (obtained from Scot Power) could not use due to 'technical issues'.

'We're having some technical problems with our website. We would be grateful if you could try to resubmit your reading in 24 hours, or call our automated phone line free on 0800 107 0224*.

Please have your Customer Reference Number to hand, shown on this email to the right, and choose option 4 from the menu.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

• basketcase
    • By basketcase 4th Mar 16, 6:43 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    basketcase
    I'm beginning to regret this switch...
    ...and I've not changed yet!

My switch date is supposed to be the 7th - I had an Email on 23 February telling me so. BG are supposed to be contacting me again within 2 weeks of that date.

However, I've not heard a dicky bird and switchers with far earlier dates than mine are still struggling to get switched. The Hydro did write a 'sorry you're leaving' letter, saying I had till 1 March to change my mind. It's not looking promising and I'm starting to wonder if I should have...

Is everyone having this trouble?

A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

2018(lbs!) in 2018 -
    1560.75/2018 (total now includes pre-thread decluttering)
    • M271
    • By M271 5th Mar 16, 2:14 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    ...and I've not changed yet!

My switch date is supposed to be the 7th - I had an Email on 23 February telling me so. BG are supposed to be contacting me again within 2 weeks of that date.

However, I've not heard a dicky bird and switchers with far earlier dates than mine are still struggling to get switched. The Hydro did write a 'sorry you're leaving' letter, saying I had till 1 March to change my mind. It's not looking promising and I'm starting to wonder if I should have...

Is everyone having this trouble?
    Originally posted by basketcase
    I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Signed up on 16th Feb, I chased by email how it was progressing on 23rd and had Welcome to BG email stating starting date of 7th March, had another email from BG on 24th with message 'Everything is in the correct place for you to join us. Your welcome pack should be out very soon. There has been a slight delay in welcome packs coming out due to the volume of customers transferring to us.' Had email from my current supplier 1st March 'sorry your leaving....' but nothing more from BG no welcome pack, emails, requests for meter readings etc.. I emailed BG collective switch on 3rd March asking about progress but no response yet. I hope things get sorted soon because I'm starting to regret signing up to this switch.....and the authorities wonder why people are reluctant to swop suppliers!!
    • nanacraggs
    • By nanacraggs 5th Mar 16, 2:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    nanacraggs
    Account problems
    Is anyone else having problems with submitting their meter readings. I have tried 4 times in response to their request for readings, on line and by phone, and they send an email to say they are having trouble processing readings on the website. I have emailed customer services and am awaiting their reply
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 5th Mar 16, 4:04 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Is anyone else having problems with submitting their meter readings. I have tried 4 times in response to their request for readings, on line and by phone, and they send an email to say they are having trouble processing readings on the website. I have emailed customer services and am awaiting their reply
    Originally posted by nanacraggs
    Hi Nanacraggs

Can I point you in the direction of my earlier post on this issue?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5415092&page=3#58

Hope this helps.
    • MartinGPerry
    • By MartinGPerry 5th Mar 16, 6:41 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MartinGPerry
    even more of a nightmare
    Its getting worse, despite calls from BG customer support assuring me my case was being personally handled to make sure all was ok etc etc, I can see that a further three gas transfer work orders have been placed meaning that once again BG think my current supplier have rejected the transfer. We all know by now that they only make three tries before BG abandon the transfer, so it seems that once again BG have cocked this up.
    I'm wishing I'd never heard of this deal and it will be a long time before I trust Money Saving Expert saving advice again.
    • kittykitten
    • By kittykitten 7th Mar 16, 10:09 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    kittykitten
    Have just spoken to BG collective team, who tell me my gas and electricity did switch on 3rd March, and I need to supply meter readings within 5 days of that date! Have submitted meter readings online as suggested above, but should I be slightly concerned I haven't had anything from EDF (previous supplier)? At what point do I cancel DD with EDF?

Sorry if I'm being dim, but I've never done this before so don't know how it's supposed to work.
    OS weight loss challenge: 4.5/6 lbs
    • MSE Roxanne
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Roxanne Verified User verified user 7th Mar 16, 11:13 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    MSE Roxanne
    Have just spoken to BG collective team, who tell me my gas and electricity did switch on 3rd March, and I need to supply meter readings within 5 days of that date! Have submitted meter readings online as suggested above, but should I be slightly concerned I haven't had anything from EDF (previous supplier)? At what point do I cancel DD with EDF?

Sorry if I'm being dim, but I've never done this before so don't know how it's supposed to work.
    Originally posted by kittykitten
    Hi kittykitten,

Once you've provided your meter readings and are paying your new supplier direct debits, your new supplier should hand these meter readings over to your old supplier so that it can calculate your final bill.

Your old supplier should then give you this final bill and after paying this, your direct debits should stop. After this point, if you're concerned they haven't stopped, then you may wish to contact your bank to ensure that they've been cancelled.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Ellie2758
    • By Ellie2758 10th Mar 16, 12:07 PM
    • 2,801 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    Ellie2758
    May I enquire as to who told you this?
    What makes you believe them?
    Originally posted by Nathan94
    The person who gave me the "dedicated" number told me.

There was no queue, there was the automatic answering machine but not long to wait. However, when I rang a week later the phone was answered by somebody who knew nothing about the IT issue.

I have posted an update under another thread on this forum regarding the farcical state of the MSE Collective Switch to British gas. Needless to say, I will not be participating in this next year. I'll probably go back to Eon where everything went smoothly. But let's face it, if it's this difficult to JOIN British Gas, how well will leaving them go?
    Ellie

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
    • Ellie2758
    • By Ellie2758 10th Mar 16, 12:14 PM
    • 2,801 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    Ellie2758
    Come on MSE you should be treating this fiasco as a major news story now given the problems that so many of your members are encountering. The BG special switch line openly admits that the info shown on online accounts is incorrect and their latest advice to me is just to "sit tight". Not good enough and to make things really embarrassing the two other families I encouraged to make the collective switch are experiencing exactly the same problems - several changing switch dates, inability to submit readings, readings rejected and total confusion as to whether we have been switched or not! The gas side of things is especially problematic. Just what do we do?
    Originally posted by itsj2

I've had endless emails and texts telling me that I either haven't given my meter readings or that their system could not accept them. When I raised this with British Gas Facebook Instant messaging service I received this response:

"I've always considered the text messages to be reminders more than anything else. I assure you all is well on our side, other than a few overly keen text messages" smile emoticon Cheers, Dan

Patronising or what?!
    Ellie

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 10th Mar 16, 2:45 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    I know I am not alone (thankfully) but I have heard nothing at all[, despite my phoning them and being told "you will hear soon", which was 10 days ago. They were quick enough to get us to sign up but why the lack of communication? Appalling customer service - and I agree, we ain't even started with them yet. Can MSE bring some pressure to bear?
    Originally posted by BeeRay
    Hi Beeray

I'm sorry to hear that British Gas haven't been in touch. We've been chasing it up on this (again!) this week and British Gas have confirmed that the glitch was fixed, but it was unable to send out the update by email. An explanation should be winging its way to you through the post shortly.

From what I understand these switches will complete on 16-18 March.

If you call the specialist British Gas collective team on it should be able to help you further.
    0800 975 9712
    • irie
    • By irie 10th Mar 16, 6:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    irie
    British Gas MSE switch - messed up
    I was supposed to switch Gas and Electricity from Scottish Power over to British Gas on 29th February. When asked I entered my final readings and got confirmation for one energy source but for some strange reason not the other. So I tried again and then again. Still no luck. In the end I called British Gas to give them my readings over the telephone and after a couple of attempts in getting through I finally spoke to someone who put me on hold whilst they went away to check what had happened. It turned out that they had had a big problem with their systems being able to handle the new flow of clients and their IT department had to sort out the problem which was going to take about 10 days. It appears that one of my energy supplies may now be with BG whilst the other will not move over until the middle of March. They mentioned that I was not the only customer who had had a problem with their new account!

So MSE this really is not a very good start for a collective move. I am now on Standard tariff with Scottish Power and still not moved over to the BG MSE tariff. So if anyone else has been getting several strange emails from BG asking for their readings when they have already sent them, or at least thought they had, now you know why. I have to say MSE I am really not impressed so far!!
    Last edited by irie; 10-03-2016 at 6:23 PM. Reason: text changes
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 11th Mar 16, 2:39 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    However I have still got the 'sorry there has been a problem', spinning circle as described above and no email thanking for meter readings yet.
    Originally posted by M271
    Hmm, this doesn't sound good. We've asked British Gas to confirm some workarounds, but in the meantime you may wish to call its collective team on 0800 975 9712 who'll be able to key this in for you.
    • M271
    • By M271 11th Mar 16, 2:44 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    Hmm, this doesn't sound good. We've asked British Gas to confirm some workarounds, but in the meantime you may wish to call its collective team on 0800 975 9712 who'll be able to key this in for you.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    I did get a thank you for inputting your meter reading after clicking the submit readings button on the website.
    • M271
    • By M271 11th Mar 16, 2:57 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    M271
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    I have phoned the number which you suggested and gave the meter readings over the phone, they did say that online meter readings can take a few days to update in the system. They checked my account and everything else seems to have set up OK.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 11th Mar 16, 3:46 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    Well, the fun continues. A week ago a member of the switch teak said she'd call back in 2 days, she finally called at lunchtime today (apologising profusely) to say my account was now set up, gave me the account number and said the switch had been backdated to 22nd February when I gave the meter readings they asked for, and that first money will be taken 5th April at the correct amount. I'm thinking - result!

Log onto my Sainsburys account, it's showing the readings I gave on 22nd Feb - they took money on 7th March, between the 2 accounts (gas and elec) there's about £29 to come back. That looks OK.

Then try to log onto my BG account using Firefox - login page does not work. Mess around, call the online help team, I can get logged in (very slowly) using IE but not Firefox, so now something in my PC is not right. All looks correct on my BG account until I check the Nectar reg - which has the correct card, account name and BG account but shows Closed, please call CS team, which I do. He can't figure it out so wil investigate and call back on Tuesday. All told about 1 hour on the phone for little progress!

The saga continues - but at least I've escaped a week or 2 on Sainsbury's standard tariff!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,307Posts Today

7,656Users online

Martin's Twitter