Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rbulph
    • By rbulph 6th Jun 06, 1:47 PM
    • 518Posts
    • 96Thanks
    rbulph
    What happens if you don't pay your water bill?
    • 6th Jun 06, 1:47 PM
    What happens if you don't pay your water bill? 6th Jun 06 at 1:47 PM
    Nothing apparently. Or that's what this article suggests - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5050048.stm.
    The article also says that those who do pay are paying an extra 10 per year to subsidise those who don't pay. But maybe it's more - if 15% don't pay that means that 15% of what the rest of us pay is to cover the non-payers, so about 30/year on a 200/year bill. That's not on.

So what's to stop me from deciding I'd rather not pay too? Will the water company sue me? It sounds as if they wouldn't, otherwise how do these 15% of people manage to get away with it for so long? If the bailiffs were knocking on their doors, they'd be paying.

I'm sure that if everyone was to now refuse to pay, the situation would be resolved in no time, and we'd all see a healthy and fair reduction in our bills. I'm certainly tempted to do so. What do you think?
Page 3
    • samsmoot
    • By samsmoot 28th Jun 12, 2:56 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    samsmoot
    Plus they stole over 400 from my friend's benefit money when they got the DWP to make deductions from their benefit by blatantly lying - they told JCPlus that my friend had failed to pay a water debt, which was totally untrue.

A court ordered the DWP to pay back all the money.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I've seen enough evidence of their unlawful and bullying tactics to make me feel a little antipathy towards Severn Trent and South Staffs. If anyone has a complaint about my stance I suggest they write to the above mentioned companies and complain to them instead - as they started it.
  • kaya64
    agree with that
    Last edited by kaya64; 03-02-2013 at 8:28 AM.
  • jamandtoastandbutter
    I can not believe that people are so caught up in proving their point that no one has seen the bigger picture here.
    Water should be free. FULL STOP.
    When we came to this earth many a year ago, did we have to pay? Did we all die of thirst? The answer you are looking for is NO.
    Over many years our rivers and lakes have been polluted to the point off no return. I personally never had a help in hand with that. Did you? We used to have a choice where we had our fresh water, wells, rivers etc... Now we moved to a house register and bingo here is a bill for you.
    We get charged for something we need to surrive. Where is the right and the justice in that? We have no choice we need water. We can not say "No turn off my supply I will just pop on down to the stream and fill my bucket till my hearts content"!
    People need to wake up and see its just another way to keep us enslaved to debt.Rich people get richer. The middle class seem to float on the high horse and the poor people make the world go round. The way it has always been. Because people can not look past their own views and stand up for one and all, unite is what is needed.
    Stop the taxes of us all, water, council tax, rent increase the list goes on.
    When it all comes down to it we are controlled by a piece of paper with ink on it. Who knew trees could lead life both ways! To live and to die. Chose which way you want to go. As one day they will charge us for air! Because we live for the paper not for the sake of living.
    I prefer to have the life we were meant to have on this earth. We are meant to live off the land. Not to serve for the elites! No one owns the land no one owns the trees, water and no one owns us!
    But until people wake up and stand side by side no matter what differences we have and take back the power then I can not see a nice world for my children/grandchildren to grow up in.
    I have never paid a water bill in my life and I do never intend to. I refuse point blank to pay for something I would die without. I am not a theft as you have labelled some people above.You can not steal something that does not belong to anyone!!! If anything I have been giving medication without consent due to fluoride now in the water along with who knows what??? The only thing you can accuse someone of stealing (if they do not pay their water) is chemicals which they never wanted in the first place. You see the point??? I drink bottled water but I use the tap for baths and washing up/machine etc..
    Happy to take on the companies for a basic human right, Just a shame I am fighting a losing battle. As too many off us stay asleep!!!
    • keystone
    • By keystone 11th Oct 13, 11:51 PM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    ниасилил патамушта многа букаф
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Oct 13, 1:46 PM
    • 27,999 Posts
    • 13,849 Thanks
    Cardew
    I drink bottled water but I use the tap for baths and washing up/machine etc..
    Happy to take on the companies for a basic human right, Just a shame I am fighting a losing battle. As too many off us stay asleep!!!
    Originally posted by jamandtoastandbutter
    As we are asked to be nice to new posters, I will refrain from saying that is the most stupid post I have seen on MSE.

Is there a suitable area either inside or outside your dwelling that you use as a toilet, and are able to dispose of the waste? Or do you expect your sewerage(and water from baths and washing machine) to be treated for free?
    • societys child
    • By societys child 12th Oct 13, 4:26 PM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 7,631 Thanks
    societys child
    jamandtoastandbutter
    Water should be free. FULL STOP
    Sooo . . you buy bottled water instead

~~~~ FREE BEER FOR ALL ~~~~
    (after all, it's mostly water)

• samsmoot
    • By samsmoot 12th Oct 13, 4:48 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    samsmoot
    Water should be free.
    Originally posted by jamandtoastandbutter

I think that's a reasonable opinion. We have free health care, education and libraries, so why not free water? It's a more basic need than any of the above.

How about a system whereby all had a minimum free amount of water for hygiene and survival - necessities of life - and those who used more (to water their large gardens and to wash their big cars and fill their swimming pools etc) were charged more? If it were practical this would be a much fairer way of doing things.

As it stands the very poor pay much more in water charges, proportionate to their income.
    • keystone
    • By keystone 14th Oct 13, 5:02 PM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    I think that's a reasonable opinion.
    Originally posted by samsmoot
    OK then so let him harvest rainwater and use that and don't use the sewerage system either. Find other ways to dispose of his waste and being sanitary - that way he won't be using services that have to be maintained and paid for. That post is better suited to the DI Forum (Freeman Section) thatn MSE IMO.

We have free health care, education and libraries,
    Of course we don't. What a naive suggestion.

How about a system whereby all had a minimum free amount of water for hygiene and survival - necessities of life - and those who used more (to water their large gardens and to wash their big cars and fill their swimming pools etc) were charged more? If it were practical this would be a much fairer way of doing things.
    Umm - thats why we have water meters - you pay for what you use and for what you dispose of. Simples.

As it stands the very poor pay much more in water charges, proportionate to their income.
    If you are talking about water rates then there is an element of sense in that. But I think the government have done something (maybe not enough) about that aren't they?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
    • samsmoot
    • By samsmoot 14th Oct 13, 7:49 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    samsmoot
    We have free health care, education and libraries
    Of course we don't. What a naive suggestion.
    Originally posted by keystone
    Er...what? They're all free aren't they? You've lost me there.
    • keystone
    • By keystone 14th Oct 13, 9:38 PM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    Er...what? They're all free aren't they? You've lost me there.
    Of course they aren't free - you have to pay for your usage via your tax bill. Bit like paying through your water bill for the delivery of wholesome wate to your taps and the removal of the dirty stuff via the sewers and its subsequent treatment for reuse. How on earth do think all this stuff is funded otherwise? Hey - just a minute - are you yanking my chain?

Cheers
    • samsmoot
    • By samsmoot 14th Oct 13, 9:47 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    samsmoot
    Of course they aren't free - you have to pay for your usage via your tax bill. Bit like paying through your water bill for the delivery of wholesome wate to your taps and the removal of the dirty stuff via the sewers and its subsequent treatment for reuse. How on earth do think all this stuff is funded otherwise? Hey - just a minute - are you yanking my chain?

Cheers
    The pedants are revolting!
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 14th Oct 13, 9:50 PM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 5,868 Thanks
    warehouse
    I don't take kindly to lying, thieving scumbags.
    If you can't beat them then join them eh?
    Pants
    • samsmoot
    • By samsmoot 14th Oct 13, 10:15 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    samsmoot
    If you can't beat them then join them eh?
    Originally posted by warehouse
    No, not join them, just disobey their demands.

Lying is their job: Severn Trent getting fined 47,000,000 for telling fibs to the regulator is a good one to highlight.

Thieving: Also something they regularly do, which I don't do at all: Conspiring with the DWP to steal money off the poor is something they still get away with. If not paying water charges was 'thieving' it would be punishable in a criminal court. It's not. It's a matter for the civil courts - nobody is ever a thief for failing to pay a disputed debt, and so it would be inaccurate to equate thievery with failure to pay disputed water charges.

Scumbags is them again. I have no power or willingness to be nasty to the vulnerable, the poor and the uninformed, whereas they have plenty and frequently abuse it.
    • keystone
    • By keystone 14th Oct 13, 11:33 PM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    The pedants are revolting!
    What are you smoking?

Cheers
    • samsmoot
    • By samsmoot 15th Oct 13, 12:02 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    samsmoot
    What are you smoking?

Cheers
    What have you got?
    • keystone
    • By keystone 16th Oct 13, 12:03 AM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    Is that the best you can do?

Cheers
    • samsmoot
    • By samsmoot 17th Oct 13, 2:13 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    samsmoot
    Yeah - what with all the smoking and that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,356Posts Today

8,833Users online

Martin's Twitter