Finding own cover when off sick

Hi,
I've just started work ina day nursery and I've just found out that if we're off sick we're expected to phone down the contact list and find someone to cover us. Now, as far as I'm concerned, if I'm too sick to work then I'm too sick to phone around people, and surely thats the job of the manager??

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    MrsNibbles wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've just started work ina day nursery and I've just found out that if we're off sick we're expected to phone down the contact list and find someone to cover us. Now, as far as I'm concerned, if I'm too sick to work then I'm too sick to phone around people, and surely thats the job of the manager??
    Yes- But are you really going to kick up about it at the start of your new job?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • MrsNibbles
    MrsNibbles Posts: 11
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well, I may as I'm not enjoying the job so I'll be leaving at some point anyway, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't normal practice. I've been self employed for several years and was a teacher before that so I've been out of 'normal' employment for a while!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd suggest that if you ARE too sick to be phoning around, then you speak to your manager and explain that.

We don't work like that as an employer, but we do suggest our volunteers make some calls to arrange swaps, if they can. If they're too ill to do it, we obviously don't require them to do so!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Hi,

May I just kindly point out that often, for reporting sickness, you'll be expected to PHONE the employer!! So 9/10 times you won't be too sick to use a phone :)

That being said, the cover issue seems a bit odd. But I actually like it; empowers employees to take some personal responsibility for the welfare of the children and ensure that, when sick, sufficient cover is sourced!
  • MrsNibbles
    MrsNibbles Posts: 11
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I didn't say I'd be too sick to use the phone per se, but I shouldn't have to phone about a dozen other people in the hopes that one of them will a) not already be working the same shift as me and b) be willing to go in.
    And what if no one agrees to cover my shift? I have to go in while sick??
    And actually what it says to me is that the employer has no trust in their staff or any respect for them. If you treat your staff properly they won't want to take sickies as they'll respect you and the job too.
    Being genuinely sick has nothing to do with how much you care about the welfare of the children.
    I don't mind finding cover if I want a day off at short notice but if I'm running between the phone and the toilet, or I've lost my voice (my two main reasons for the rate times I'm off) then it's just ridiculous.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I didn't say I'd be too sick to use the phone per se, but I shouldn't have to phone about a dozen other people in the hopes that one of them will a) not already be working the same shift as me and b) be willing to go in.
    And what if no one agrees to cover my shift? I have to go in while sick??
    And actually what it says to me is that the employer has no trust in their staff or any respect for them. If you treat your staff properly they won't want to take sickies as they'll respect you and the job too.
    Being genuinely sick has nothing to do with how much you care about the welfare of the children.
    I don't mind finding cover if I want a day off at short notice but if I'm running between the phone and the toilet, or I've lost my voice (my two main reasons for the rate times I'm off) then it's just ridiculous.

You have just started there, so can't see you being sick so soon.

You want to leave, so it won't be an issue.

It really isn't a problem..
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 2:40AM
    Never heard of such rubbish.

You may be inclined to phone down a list but you are under no obligation to have to find someone. If you don't............then what.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Utterly ridiculous way of working. Getting cover in for sick staff is a role which should be undertaken by managers, not by sick staff.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,124
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What a rubbish employer!
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »

You may be inclined to phone a down a list but you are under no obligation to have to find someone. If you don't............then what.

Yep they are bluffing.

I remember when someone called up when it was snowing to arrange to take the day as available holiday to be told everyone else had made it in and roads were clear, come return to the office turns out half the floor had not attended that very same day (and not just the teleseller expected to make calls to the worst hit areas at that time which would have been quite insensitive) :cool: - hence employer was out and out bluffing, never mind anything else.

...Didn't this nonsense go on for self employed drivers, having to get cover for their routes, never saw it in practise but I could have worked at depots when there were more guys employed and better management.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure