LPG or OIL

Starting from scratch renovating an old property...will be installing two multi fuel stoves...ideally one that can cook too...(any suggestions welcome on that.)....main question is we will need back up heating and hot water...so would you go oil or lpg...property is off grid for mains gas....it's a two up two down with ground floor bathroom......any rough estimates on cost also appreciated
TIA

Comments

• No-one care to offer any helpful advise ?
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Go look up the prices and energy content and you'll find lpg the more expensive fuel.

Plus, the rules are more stringent if you want to put an lpg tank in your garden.

http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison/
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Go look up the prices and energy content and you'll find lpg the more expensive fuel.

Plus, the rules are more stringent if you want to put an lpg tank in your garden.

http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison/

Not necessarily. The prices on the nottenergy site are very out of date.

I paid 30ppl for LPG yesterday. The current oil price seems to be about 47ppl. Allowing for the difference in energy content, they work out about the same.

Also LPG boilers are about half the price of oil boilers and emit less CO2.

However, I agree about the siting of the bulk tank.
  • Well this is hopefully going to be our forever home as my username suggests...so I want to get it right...deffo pros and cons for both, but it needs doing at some point as I am.looking towards the future and thinking when we finally reach oap stage we will need something reliable and ease of use.....the land the property lies on is quite sloped do the tanks of either oil or lpg have to higher or level with the property.....as don't see how the fuel will be pumped to the house if it's on lower ground..??
  • Mister_G
    LPG is pressurised so the tank can be at any height.

Oil will need to be pumped if the tank is lower than the boiler. I'm not familiar with oil boilers, but I believe that most of them have an internal pump that will lift the oil a short distance.
  • Are all oil boilers floor standing......?
    Lpg boilers wall mounted....?
  • Mister_G
    You can get floor standing and wall mounted in either type
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Not necessarily. The prices on the nottenergy site are very out of date.

The link is only an example of what is available for the op to go look for - not a defintive price comparison link.

I bought 47kg of lpg yesterday, pretty much the price I always pay.

I wouldn't buy our boiler oil now, the prices have gone nuts, look at the price change through the year and oil starts to look cheaper again.

So, yes at this time of year prices compare, other times of year they really don't.
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2018 at 3:32PM
    No-one care to offer any helpful advise ?

We have oil for heating only (back up for hot water) so we can buy cheap in the summer and shop around, 1800L tank.

We have solar PV with a Wattstor battery system so feed virtually nothing back to the grid and have 6kW to use in the evening, also we heat the water with the PV when possible.

We have a gas hob, a 19Kg bottle lasts two years or so, an electric oven powered by PV or the batteries when available. Slow cooker for stews soups etc. Free to use with solar.

Insulated up to our arm pits so we have gone from low D to high B on the EPC.

We are happy and warm bunnies. :p

One other point LPG leak + match = boom. Oil leak + match = nothing but a bad smell for a few days.
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mister_G wrote: »
    LPG is pressurised so the tank can be at any height.

Oil will need to be pumped if the tank is lower than the boiler. I'm not familiar with oil boilers, but I believe that most of them have an internal pump that will lift the oil a short distance.

This is so the oil tank doesn't need to be elevated the flow is quite slow so the pump does the job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure