Put away your purse & become debt-averse

foxgloves
foxgloves Posts: 11,082 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 27 February 2018 at 5:13PM in Debt free diaries
I've decided to start a diary to show that it's possible to change from a terrible money waster into a a bit of a budgeting ninja. OK, I'm not perfect....we all have slip-ups now & again....but I am proud that by my budget efforts & our surprising willingness to change from big silly spenders (we really were a pair of narnas!) to really quite sensible people, we managed to become debt-free. We paid off around 35k & really, just learned how to live differently And you know what? We really enjoy it! Turned out that all that spending & having to have stuff immediately didn't really make us happy. Who'd have thought it?
Pre-LBM, my principles for money management were:
1) Buy pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. Overdraft was seen as another word for 'more of my money'.
2) Open bank statements, look at the balance through semi-closed eyes, carefully fold & replace in envelope & put in drawer.
3) Tell myself bank balance is fine because it's only 3 weeks till pay-day.
4) Always withdraw useful wodge of cash the week before pay-day just in case that pesky bank was planning to show me up in the supermarket by stopping my debit card.
5) Never budget - why waste time on this when my own system worked so well?
6) Tell myself not to worry about savings. They would be nice, but I 'didn't earn enough'
That was about it, really. I didn't budget at all & made no effort to spend within my means. I lived outside my means from the age of 19 & didn't become debt-free till my 40s!
The LBM was huge. I had it first & my partner showed initial signs of resistance, but when he saw my debts disappearing, he soon wanted in on the act & is now like a different person with money.
Two years ago, we borrowed a modest sum to help us buy a car, We always knew this would happen & we made sure we saved up a good deposit. It was always our intention to re-pay the loan early & we did manage a nice overpayment of £2000 last year. However, our 2nd overpayment was almost ready to pay in when we had a string of expenses which we didn't want to put on credit cards, so we used our loan overpayment money to pay those. Last year was difficult in many ways & although we didn't return to our previous naughty spendiness, I think I started to lose some of my focus. Before Christmas, our Loan Pay Down Fund (LPDF) was down to just £60. Now it is already up to £421, really just from little savings, selling a few bits & bobs here & there. One thing I'm going to be really BIG on this year is 'Shopping from home', as in doing that first, to see if a spend can be avoided. I've got off to a really good start with that, starting with my new year de-cluttering & have found all sorts of useful stuff that will save me money further down the line. I also intend to do a full kitchen cupboard audit. Although I'm a DFW 'Small things' regular, I've never done a DFW diary before, so I'm going to use it to focus my efforts & get that LPDF up to £1000, then the next £1000, etc, asap. If you are the sort of person who gets excited about the contents of other people's cupboards & the satisfaction of saving a few quid here & there, then do join me for sharing ideas, laughs & moans, & I promise to throw in a few tales from my Spendy Decades - I have kept a journal for a lot of my adult life & I absolutely wince now, reading some of those diary entries about my cavalier attitude to money. I suppose they show that if I can change, anyone can! Oh well, onwards! I loved being debt-free & just a small amount of effort will mean that I can soon be again.
F x
"For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,082 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Just made garlic flatbreads. Hadn't made them for ages, then re-discovered the recipe while de-cluttering.
    They are so easy & cheap to make.....must work out just pence per flatbread, as you just use self-raising flour, baking powder, garlic, yoghurt, salt & water. When I've not had any yoghurt, I've just used milk with a squeeze of lemon juice in it which thickens it up.
    If I suddenly heard that hungry nephews were descending on us & I hadn't got much in, I think these would be my cheap 'go to' thing for bulking out a meal & filling everyone up.
    And they freeze too. Already thinking what I can make to go with the rest of them next week. Defo time to delve into the very depths of the pantry in the name of debt busting!
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • I can't wait to read your diary and tips. Thanks for sharing! I have subscribed
    Emergency Fund: £300.01/£1000 (30%) March NST: 2/18 NSDs
    Tesco Loan: £3,877/£5000 Barclaycard: £3149.99/£3169.79
  • MeenaM
    MeenaM Posts: 320 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    HI Foxgloves, well done on turning your lives around!

look forward to reading your tips , the flatbreads sound great
    paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds interesting, I will join you .
  • Subscribed! Looking forward to reading some of your tips! :D
    My CC - Feb 18 £849.69 July 18 £0.00
    My OD - Feb 18 £1250.00 July 18 £1250.00
    OH CC - Feb 18 £976.00 July 18 £1852.00
    OH OD - Feb 18 £500.00 July 18 £0.00
    TOTAL OD/CC DEBT: Feb 18 £3575.69 Mar 18 £3490.95Apr 18 £3257.78 July 18: £3102.00
    OD/CC DEBT FREE DATE: DECEMBER 2018 :)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,129 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • happy new diary :) I have subscribed, looking forward to reading
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2018 at 3:14PM
    Welcome to DFW diaries,I look forward to seeing your comments!:)
    And I LOVE poking my nose in people's cupboards,purses and bank accounts.:rotfl:Wonderful to find a site that actually encourages that;)
    I too am decluttering my kitchen,but sadly I didnt find much of any value,just an awful lot of well out of date items,and a host of various herbs and spices which I bought and never used.:D But my store cupboards,much depleted,are looking very neat and orderly.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Good luck! :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business