PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018

Comments

• t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    totally agree with you Ilona!! always worth putting in the leg work!! I too went to tescos, this was at 5pm. bit of a bun fight but came away with £65 of goodies and paid £11!! freezer now topped up again!!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Would love to join in too please, already YS active, but actual savings would be interesting.
    I love this expression!

I shall be following this thread with lust and admiration. A combination of being in the wrong location and long hours means that mega-reduction YS items will be a rarity for me. I did get a load of goodies at a Morrisons on the other side of town last week for a song, but that was a one-off. And I gave them away.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    My neighbours were pleased this morning. B was chuffed with the hot cross buns, potatoes and mushrooms, he is making a shepherds pie later, and there was cooked meat for the dog. C was pleased with the potatoes and cookies, she gave me some broccoli and leeks, so a good swap. She was in Mr T a few days ago and everything was 10p.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • We have also been YS active for many years and have learnt to curb the desire to buy something just because its pence. We have had opportunity to try foods we don't usually buy and discover what we do like without risking more than pennies.

Have similar arrangement as others that we share some of our treasures with family, particularly mum, and often receive a little something another time they have found reduced or grown, baked etc. We enjoy helping each other out as all live on small budgets.

Incidentally, our Morrisons started spreading their reductions over the entire day. Not unusual now to see f&v or chilled cabinet products reduced to 7p or 8p by 11am. They then can be found again at usual teatime and 7pm ish.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We have also been YS active for many years and have learnt to curb the desire to buy something just because its pence. We have had opportunity to try foods we don't usually buy and discover what we do like without risking more than pennies.

Have similar arrangement as others that we share some of our treasures with family, particularly mum, and often receive a little something another time they have found reduced or grown, baked etc. We enjoy helping each other out as all live on small budgets.

Incidentally, our Morrisons started spreading their reductions over the entire day. Not unusual now to see f&v or chilled cabinet products reduced to 7p or 8p by 11am. They then can be found again at usual teatime and 7pm ish.

I've noticed that about Morrisons, went in the other day about 1pm and they had loads of fish at 20p and bread really cheap as well. Will have to keep going at that time and see what else I can find.
  • System
    Love reduced items, except for Co-op....even when they reduce things it is still cheaper elsewhere, no wonder they always have so much left.
    I will definitely be joining in and letting you know my finds. Most of mine are normally from Morrisons or Asda, but it seems as though Mr T might be worth a look sometimes, don't normally shop there.
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ilona wrote: »
    My best time at Mr T is just before 7pm, when they put the third and last sticker on. They start just after lunch with the first sticker, and 3pm for the 2nd sticker. I take a chance by going late, sometimes there isn't much left, other times there is loads. Meat I think is discounted early because it has to be sold asap. I don't buy meat.

You need to visit your chosen supermarket at different times, watch what the staff do, ask them when the yellow sticker trolley will come out. Each store has it's own system. Some will leave the items on the shelf so it's spot the stickers in every department. Some will put them all in one place so no hunting. Some will wheel them out from the back on a trolley, then it's grab what you want. It's all quite civilized at my store, a few people know the system. No pushing and shoving.

Ilona

Hello Ilona

Many thanks for this, you've explained it well, I can see I will be spending time lurking in the local supermarkets after 3 p.m. My first attempt with the lamb shank wasn't a huge saving, I am obviously a novice, so need to keep visiting or asking staff for when the best time is...

I will update on the next venture..... ;)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Ilona wrote: »
    A Mr T late shop tonight. arrived 6.50pm, left two hours later. Had to wait for the man to sticker it all up, there was such a lot of it. Just totaled it up, I paid £9.09 for £76.31 worth of food. Total shop was £28.86, I had a few other things as well, cat food,milk shake, cheese, eggs, soya and rice milk, fruit juice.

My yellow stickers were vegetables, fruit whole and prepared, salad, mushrooms, bread, hot cross buns, dips, yogurt, pasta salad, vegetable bakes, mushroom rice, potatoes. There was 5 or 6 people waiting, plenty for everyone. I shall give some of mine to friends. It really is worth making the effort to shop late and waiting if it is not ready.

Ilona

Hello Ilona

Wow, you are like a yellow-sticker guerilla! You are now officially my YS guru, and I salute you. T

I hope to graduate from YS novice, to YS activist, to YS mentor, with any luck.

Note that I have managed a YS steak (was £3.52 reduced to £2.20) which is a £1.32 saving, but I feel this wasn't reduced enough....? Works out around 1/3 off I think. Maths isn't my strong subject. So only around 30% reduction for something I think was pricey anyway.

Think going vegetarian would be the best, money-saving way, although might be a challenge for me.....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • System
    Morrisons in Hinckley has so more bread than I have ever seen with YS's on today....all good stuff from the bakery counter. Got 4 loaves and some baps all at at least 50% off...the baps were 60% off. Would have bought more but freezer full. Anybody in the area, get down there quickly.
  • Irenadler- once you get on friendly terms with the ones that do the reducing they can be really helpful. For instance mine will tell you if they intend to mark down a reduced item again if you've picked it up.

Last week the fishmonger saw me looking while he was reducing and told me to bring him things I wanted to mark down and I paid no more than 8p per item. I got plaice, cod, bream, cooked mackerel filets etc. Some lovely fishcakes, too.
    Enjoyed a lovely chat with him too as he worked away with his labeller. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport