PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling - 1 Viewing in 2 weeks

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 July 2017 at 9:55PM
    Options
    gazfocus wrote: »
    I disagree that the fact there's tenants in the house is the issue, as no-one would be able to tell that from a Rightmove listing?

Sorry to say this but when I took a look at the photos on RM the first thing I thought was "that house has tenants in it" so maybe as someone has already suggested that could be the problem (or some of the problem anyhow). The conservatory definitely looks as though it has a tenant sleeping in there because of the sofa bed, washing basket and the chest of drawers amongst other things which make it so obvious. Also the untidy wires suggests there isn't enough electrical sockets in some of the rooms. And in one photo there is an extension lead with plugs from the TV etc. plugged in to it balancing right on top of a radiator. That looks awful.

The main kitchen photo is ok-ish but looks as though there is a lack of worktop space because it looks as though the cooker hob is being used as a worktop although I can't clearly see by the photo if it is or not. Then there is the other kitchen photo that is only really showing a worktop and a few cupboards that photo is awful and does nothing to sell the house.

I agree it needs floor plans because I had trouble trying to work out what the layout was by those photos.

HTH

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree that the fact there's tenants in the house is the issue, as no-one would be able to tell that from a Rightmove listing?

Does that mean then that you have not told your EA that you don't actually live there because you have tenants there instead?
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shift the tenants, tidy up, clean up the garden, take fresh photos would all be a good start. But as already mentioned, the shared ownership is the stumbling block for many. Good luck
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does that mean then that you have not told your EA that you don't actually live there because you have tenants there instead?

The EA is fully aware there are tenants living there as they have to contact the tenants to arrange viewings.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    One issue might be it just is missing from peoples searches if looking for 3 beds,

MOre like this 3bed upto 160k

Suggests a lower price of £90-£100k for 3 bed
    Those that do get in included may just not bother if they think it is only SO.

the other search will be upto £80k

For £70k I can get all of a 2/3 bed or 1/2 your 3 bed.

There seems to be better stock available for those with £140k to spend.

Would have viewed this first.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58220755.html
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree that the biggest stumbling block is it being shared ownership.

With regards to the comments about the price, the previous buyers we had in place had the house valued by their mortgage lender and the valuation came back at £145,000 so £72,000 is about right with the hope of getting around £70,000.

Shared ownership isn't the biggest stumbling block - the price is.

Shared ownership limits the pool of available buyers, but of that smaller pool, none of them thinks it's worth what you want for it. Priced right, anything will sell, even if it's currently got tenants in it.
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2017 at 9:50AM
    Options
    One issue might be it just is missing from peoples searches if looking for 3 beds,

MOre like this 3bed upto 160k

Suggests a lower price of £90-£100k for 3 bed
    Those that do get in included may just not bother if they think it is only SO.

the other search will be upto £80k

For £70k I can get all of a 2/3 bed or 1/2 your 3 bed.

The problem is, your comparing terraced houses to a relatively new build semi detached house - of course you'll get a house cheaper if you're buying a terraced house.
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Shared ownership isn't the biggest stumbling block - the price is.

Shared ownership limits the pool of available buyers, but of that smaller pool, none of them thinks it's worth what you want for it. Priced right, anything will sell, even if it's currently got tenants in it.
    I don't agree that price is the issue - Look at what is for sale/has sold recently within 5 miles of my house: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E1656174&maxPrice=160000&minPrice=60000&radius=5.0&includeSSTC=true&mustHave=sharedOwnership

The house is priced in the right ballpark.

Having said that, I will have a chat with the estate agents and see what they say. Thanks
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    Shift the tenants, tidy up, clean up the garden, take fresh photos would all be a good start. But as already mentioned, the shared ownership is the stumbling block for many. Good luck

Shared ownership only works in the delusional stage of a property bubble, people think they are losing out and must "get in", when sanity (and falling prices) start to return, people think "No way, let`s just wait instead".
  • Newtown
    Newtown Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I love the wording "offers in the region of "

*Shared ownership is the elephant in the room. (No pun intended )

*my View
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would not even make an offer with tenants in situ, vacant on exchange is the usual thing and there is no guarantee they will leave when you give them a section 21.

For SO I avoid with a bargepole, esp if leasehold. Any ground rent?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport