Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Comments

• Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think I am about to make the same mistake as you regarding detailing my claim in euros instead of sterling. Did you have to just work out, based on today's conversion rate, how much in sterling you would be due? And also in the same section it asks if you if you are claiming anything else, is this where you would put your court fee for commencing the claim? Many thanks!

benkaylamum,
    Your claim is in euros and will be paid in euros when you win, the regulation stipulates the thresholds for the amount you should be claiming.
    Yes, you also put that you are claiming your court costs (in sterling) once you have worked these out from the link in my guide.
    Also statutory interest from the date of your delay.
    Good luck and keep going..
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • Dr Watson.....thank you for your advice. I wouldn't have a clue in moving forward with this if it wasn't down to you and the good people of this forum who give up their time to help people like myself take these chancers to task!
  • MaramYo
    MaramYo Posts: 6 Forumite
    111KAB wrote: »
    Do not need to involve your company - solely down to you.

Great! Thank you for the help!

So what should my next step be?

So far I have used their website to contact them requesting the compensation, they replied with:
    I sincerely regret the delay of your flight FR4196 from London Stansted to Milan Bergamo on the 08/12/2014, which was due ATC equipment failure.

(....)

However, as this delay was unexpected and therefore outside Ryanair’s control (extraordinary circumstances*) I regret to advise that no monetary compensation is due under EU Regulation 261/2004.

Ryanair is committed to providing on times flights with safety being our number one priority. Occasionally, there are situations outside our control such as operational reasons which disrupt our flights. I sincerely regret that this flight was one of these rare delayed flights. I confirm that all reasonable measures were taken to ensure that this flight departed with as short a delay as possible.
    Does that seem like reason to continue on, or is it really hopeless?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MaramYo wrote: »
    Great! Thank you for the help!

So what should my next step be?

So far I have used their website to contact them requesting the compensation, they replied with:

Does that seem like reason to continue on, or is it really hopeless?

They haven't given you a reason in that letter - it's just waffle. You might usefully read my guide (link below) with a glass of wine so you understand what you're up against.

If, as you suggested earlier, your delay was caused by a problem with Air Traffic Control that would be a genuine "extraordinary circumstance". The way to check this is to look at the website flightstats.co.uk (you need to register) and to check whether other flights at the same time were similarly delayed (which would support the ATC theory). Or you could go to a NWNF website and enter your flight details in their "calculator" to see if they think your flight qualifies for compensation.

Regardless though you should expect a fight - and the requirement to start legal action (either yourself or with a NWNF lawyer).
  • MaramYo
    MaramYo Posts: 6 Forumite
    Vauban wrote: »
    They haven't given you a reason in that letter - it's just waffle. You might usefully read my guide (link below) with a glass of wine so you understand what you're up against.

If, as you suggested earlier, your delay was caused by a problem with Air Traffic Control that would be a genuine "extraordinary circumstance". The way to check this is to look at the website flightstats.co.uk (you need to register) and to check whether other flights at the same time were similarly delayed (which would support the ATC theory). Or you could go to a NWNF website and enter your flight details in their "calculator" to see if they think your flight qualifies for compensation.

Regardless though you should expect a fight - and the requirement to start legal action (either yourself or with a NWNF lawyer).

Ok so I checked flightstats.co.uk on that day, only my flight was delayed as much.. other ryanair flights were delayed but generally by 20 minutes, and couple 40 mins or so throughout the whole day.

Would it be better to go for it myself or use the NWNF?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    MaramYo wrote: »
    Would it be better to go for it myself or use the NWNF?

Only you can answer that.
  • netg
    netg Posts: 21 Forumite
    stratrob wrote: »
    :jMy sincere thanks to Dr Watson, Vauban and many others who gave me great advice via this wbsite.
    Background. Arrived Palermo airport, flight to Stansted showing as on time departure of 10.00. Checked in went to gate started to board but turned back at aircraft door. Back to lounge where we watched our bags being taken off then another cart arrived and other bags put on. No Ryanair staff but handling agent went off to find out problem. Returned and said owing to earlier problems our plane was being used for another flight and we would now be departing at 17.00. Given vouchers. We could see from flight info screens that all other flights were operating normally. Our flight was eventually callled and we departed just after 17.00. During flight a crew member apologised to passengers for the delay and said if anyone wanted to claim compensation they could do so via Ryanair website. Of course no such facility exists. Following morning email from Ryanair claiming compensation not payable "exceptional circumstances". I hadn't even been in touch with them. A couple of days later another email from Ryanair advising me to claim off my holiday insurance for delay but re-stating they would not pay compensation, again quoting exceptional circumstances. I was very angry at this blatant lying and found this website. It became obvious that what I was experiencing was the norm. I took heart from this and following advice on this site and using the letter template from this site wrote to Ryanair and made a claim. As predicted they replied saying no compensation owing to exceptional circumstances. Again using a letter template from here I wrote again quoting appropriate case law and threatening to take out a ESCP in an English Court. Ryanair then replied by saying they would pay the appropriate compensation for a 7 hour delay which was 800 Euros. 28 days later cheque arrived and was banked.
    I have been in business for many years and cannot believe a listed company can act like this to avoid their responsibilities. They lied about the circumstances which shows in my opinion a complete lack of integrity. They should be ashamed.
    Again many thanks as without your advice and guidance, I doubt that I would have achieved this outcome.

Result, well done! I am just about to file Form A but I'm encouraged by your case as it didn't even end up in court, so may try this first myself!

A few questions if you have a moment, what was the 2nd letter template you used? How long did the response to your 2nd letter take? And did this happen recently?
  • ronster1
    ronster1 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Like several hundred of you forum users, I have an ongoing dispute with Ryanair about flight delay compensation (since 2010). After much messing around by them I am resigned to a claim through the courts. Just one (hopefully) quick question - can I do a single court claim for all (2) passengers on my flight reservation ( I.e. 2 x 400euro) with just myself as the claimant on the court papers?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this
  • Dr_Watson
    Dr_Watson Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ronster1 wrote: »
    Like several hundred of you forum users, I have an ongoing dispute with Ryanair about flight delay compensation (since 2010). After much messing around by them I am resigned to a claim through the courts. Just one (hopefully) quick question - can I do a single court claim for all (2) passengers on my flight reservation ( I.e. 2 x 400euro) with just myself as the claimant on the court papers?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this

ronster1,
    Yes you can name yourself as lead claimant on Form A, but be sure to add in the particulars of the claim that you are claiming for two persons (naming the second person), and that your claim is for €800 in total, adding your court costs and statutory interest from the date of your delay.
    Successfully sued Ryanair in 2013/14...and have been 'helping' litigants since then.

Current known score:-
    Dr Watson 35 - 0 Ryanair / Ince and Co

Go to post 622 on the Ryanair thread to read how to sue them safely.
  • Hoping someone can give me some advice as to the status of Ryanair claims which are over 2 yearsyears old. It was my understanding that they've asked for cases to be stayed pending the result of the KLM case which is about extraordinary circumstance cases.

What I don't understand is why all cases have been stayed when only some were originally declined due to 'extraordinary circumstances'

Thanks for your help,
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure