Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and PHI

Hi,

I've been off sick since July 2010 from my full-time job. I'm in receipt of ESA and DLA and I also receive a % of my wages through a income protection insurance.

Does the insurance make me ineligible for council tax and housing benefit? I'm getting conflicting advice from various people when I ask.

Thanks,

Melanie

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Youre household income is assessed for benefits, excluding the DLA, of course.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • electic
    electic Posts: 40 Forumite
    It depends on many different factors. I suggest you put your details into an online benefit calculator such as the one at Turn2us - google 'turn2us benefit calculator'. This should give you an idea of whether or not you are entitled to housing/council tax benefit, and if so, how much.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Hello Eclectic

In all cases we would advise that you provide all details of your income to the council and then they will assess your entitlement correctly.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure