Help with moving and furnishings

Options
Hi Folks

I am seperating from my domestic abusive husband (non violent)
and have finally been shortlisted and offered a home after 2 years.
I have progressive Multiple Sclerosis and get Dla and Esa.

Only problem is the housing assosiation wants 2 weeks rent in advance (£307) and asim leaving my husbands property I will have to buy a cooker, freezer and carpets etc. I applied for a budgeting loan but as im on the contributions Esa I am not entitled to one.

I have no idea where where to turn now as my income is very limited and I have monthly bills to pay so have no idea where to apply for help. I tried turn2us aand seems i have to get some one to refer me, (will ask my social worker but she is awful for getting things done for me) so i wont hold my breath.

So just wondered if anyone knew of any other routes of obtaining some sort of help with these things?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks
Kat
:snow_laug

Merry Crimbo!!!

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am trying to work out your benefits.

Are you still living with your husband and that is why you are on contribution based ESA. ? What level of DLA do you get?

If you are not living with your husband then why aren't you getting income based ESA if you have no savings? Do you claim HB?

Sorry for all the questions but the answers may help me to suggest something!
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a couple of thoughts from me....

Are you sure you will need carpets?...I appreciate that things vary from place to place, but here ALL HA properties come carpeted.

You might also like to look at the bigger charity shops...we have a large British Heart Foundation shop that sells 'reconditioned' electricals and furniture. (I had to move with practically nothing some years ago, and got a few basics from them.

Could you cope without a cooker for a few weeks?...a microwave can be picked up cheaply and along with a kettle could see you through for a week or so?...Just to help eke out the pennies.

Do you have a friend who could chivvy the Social Worker a bit?...Make sure they know that you need their assistance to get the referral - and it needs to be done ASAP.

And talk to the HA...they can sometimes be really helpful, and have lists of numbers of places to help new tenants who are struggling.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just a couple of thoughts from me....

Are you sure you will need carpets?...I appreciate that things vary from place to place, but here ALL HA properties come carpeted.

You might also like to look at the bigger charity shops...we have a large British Heart Foundation shop that sells 'reconditioned' electricals and furniture. (I had to move with practically nothing some years ago, and got a few basics from them.

Could you cope without a cooker for a few weeks?...a microwave can be picked up cheaply and along with a kettle could see you through for a week or so?...Just to help eke out the pennies.

Do you have a friend who could chivvy the Social Worker a bit?...Make sure they know that you need their assistance to get the referral - and it needs to be done ASAP.

And talk to the HA...they can sometimes be really helpful, and have lists of numbers of places to help new tenants who are struggling.
    In my HA property my house wasn't carpeted when i moved in. In that area their houses are never carpeted. When a tenant moves out they have to remove all flooring. I lived for 6 months with bare floorboards.

OP, have you checked your local free sites? You'll be amazed at the things you can get for free these days. There's also sites that sell cheap white goods like fridges and cookers. Living without carpets for while is definitely do-able.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Douglas Macmillan have some lovely items donated to their shops where prices are quite good.

Also, some councils have warehouses that sell furniture and appliances donated by the public, but you have to be referred and cannot just turn up to buy (so those not in need do not abuse the system).
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    get signed up to the local freecycle site. people often give away electricals when no longer needed but still in good working condition x
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • JessyRM
    JessyRM Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Kat, If the domestic abuse was reported to the police their victim care team may be able to refer you, or if you accessed support through a specific domestic abuse service or charity they could also do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure