Calling those with experience of using LISA for first home!!

I opened up my LISA on 30th August 2017, I've put a reserve on a new build this month and have stated that my LISA, where my deposit is, can not be used until earliest 30th August 2018. The developers are happy to wait as long as I can show I'm going through to right channels organising mortgage etc.

Once it gets to this stage and I can instruct solicitor to apply for release of funds, does anyone know how long it will actually take, I'm with Skipton and it says within 30 days on their website but obviously the sooner the better with expiry of help to buy and mortgage offer to potentially think about?

I do just wish there was exception to the rule and I could use the money early without incurring the charge but what can you do?!

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't know what you are aiming for here - if the provider says to plan for 30 days then that is the recommended approach. Sure some people might get the money released in less time but you cannot depend on it so shouldn't plan for it.

Alex.
  • pink_pirlie
    pink_pirlie Posts: 238
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As Alexland says, but you can get prepared in advance to make the process speedier.

Find out your provider’s withdrawal process,
    complete the declarations for the provider and conveyancer.
    Send off the request for release of the LISA money with a note to say to release it after the 1 year anniversary.
    Etc etc

This should help speed it along when it comes time to exchange / complete.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure