PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bread Recipe?

2»

Comments

• I'm quite relieved to read the comments above about wholemeal bread. One of my goals this year was to learn how to bake bread, and after several attempts I can now turn out a decent white loaf, using a recipe very similar to the one above. Wholemeal has been a total failure however. I'm glad it's not just me!

One thing I have learned is that the quality of the flour you're using can make quite a difference to the amount of water you need.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone, I tried again with the wholemeal yesterday and it went horribly wrong, will stick to white from now on! Will try your recipe out later today, I'll let you know how I get on!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Try part wholemeal, up to 30%. Even my machine has difficulty making a good risen light loaf with wholemeal but keeping it below 30% and adding a teaspoon of sugar / syrup seems to work.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good advice. I was in a hurry this morning and made a couple of french sticks, but if I'm making a dough for pizza I always leave it overnight in the fridge. With a wood pellet fired stove at a really hot temperature it makes gorgeous pizzas.

I keep mine in the fridge and keep it going for 4-5 days, it improves the longer it's left, by day 5 it makes a lovely rustic style loaf. I usually make enough for a few day's pizzas with enough left over for a small loaf.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure