Top Cashback Sites Article Discussion

Comments

• gld73
    gld73 Posts: 248
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Definitely important to not rely on definitely getting the cash back - even companies you'd think would be reliable aren't always! I recently bought Virgin Trains tickets via topcashback ... purchase tracked briefly, but within days had been declined. I've tried to open a missing claim - and can't, as Virgin Trains is no longer giving cashback via TCB.

Fair enough if they want to withdraw from the site, but they should at least have honoured the cashback for existing purchases made when they were still on the site offering cashback. :mad:
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Personally, I think if British banks need to bribe people with offers of cash to open a current account with them then they can't be much good. Experience with First Direct just confirmed that. I'll stick with my bank. Run for it's members not its shareholders. Been with them for 20+ years now, not found one better and certainly won't change for a handful of silver.
  • BaldacchinoR
    BaldacchinoR Posts: 135
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 March 2018 at 4:44PM
    My view is that you are legally entitled to the cashback offered as it constitutes a contract. Any disclaimer issued by the cashback site which claims cashback is discretionary is only potentially valid if they can prove they did not receive the commission from the merchant for a valid reason. But even then, their position is still doubtful, since your contract with the cashback site is quite separate from the site's contract with the merchant, just like when you buy in a store, your contract is with the store, not the manufacturer/supplier of the item. I don't know if this has been tested in the courts but I hope it will be - the sooner the better.

Also its worth getting a quote direct from the merchant and then going through the cashback site to ensure it is actually worth going for the cashback. I have found sometimes the price net of cashback is the same.

I have got the cashback direct from the merchant, having phoned them for some other reason, and telling them I wanted to order through the cashback site. That way you don't have to wait months and the merchant is happy not only having ensured your custom but not having to pay the rest of the commission to the cashback site!

Just looked through some of these postings and saw someone suggesting making a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman about unpaid cashback. Good idea! Would like to know if anyone has and the result please.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 5 May 2018 at 10:07AM
    I used to rely on MSE's Cashback Maximiser tool to compare cashback rates but when I tried to access it today the link has disappeared or rather it just directs me to the general MSE Cashback page. Despite a very long search through all things related to Cashback on MSE I can't find it anywhere:mad:.

Does anyone know if it's been removed for some reason please?

• phrancklyn
    phrancklyn Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have just written to MSE to enquire what happened to the 'Cashback Maximiser' Tool.
    You and others who considered it to be of benefit may wish to do the same?
    Its old link now leads to the beginners' guide to Cashback, so it looks like this excellent and useful tool may have been discontinued.
    The MSE editors may consider that it wasn't used enough by members, but that's hardly surprising considering that it was given NO publicity - and bizarrely, that there wasn't even a link to it from the 'Guide to Cashback' page!
    Regrettably, it seems to me that MSE's coverage of 'cashback' has gone downhill as only the top two sites are even mentioned and linked to now...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 9 May 2018 at 2:47PM
    phrancklyn wrote: »
    I have just written to MSE to enquire what happened to the 'Cashback Maximiser' Tool.
    You and others who considered it to be of benefit may wish to do the same?
    Its old link now leads to the beginners' guide to Cashback, so it looks like this excellent and useful tool may have been discontinued.
    The MSE editors may consider that it wasn't used enough by members, but that's hardly surprising considering that it was given NO publicity - and bizarrely, that there wasn't even a link to it from the 'Guide to Cashback' page!
    Regrettably, it seems to me that MSE's coverage of 'cashback' has gone downhill as only the top two sites are even mentioned and linked to now...

Thanks for this post:T. I was going to contact MSE myself as the Maximiser Tool was always a massive help to me and I used it every time I bought anything online.

I didn't receive any response to my query about it's whereabouts posted on here on 5th May and assumed I'd posted in the wrong place:o

Please let us know what response you get from MSE.
  • Noahnewby
    Noahnewby Posts: 816
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Aaaah - so that's why I can't find it, I also found it extremely useful and would be grateful if those at MSE towers could reinstate it but...
    I'll not hold me breath.
  • TARA112233
    TARA112233 Posts: 7 Forumite
    A warning about Cashback World run by Lyoness - its a SCAM! I've personally contacted all the National retailers on the CB site like M&S, John Lewis, Tescos, Morrisons, Clarks, B&Q etc and most of them haven't heard of CB world and are certainly NOT merchants.
    CB World are buying discounted Love2shop vouchers, reselling them back to members at FULL price and then giving them a little bit back - which breaches Love2shop trading terms. And it lies about the big retailers who join so they can con the smaller retailers out of thousands
    of pounds in joining fees.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TARA112233 wrote: »
    A warning about Cashback World run by Lyoness - its a SCAM! I've personally contacted all the National retailers on the CB site like M&S, John Lewis, Tescos, Morrisons, Clarks, B&Q etc and most of them haven't heard of CB world and are certainly NOT merchants.
    CB World are buying discounted Love2shop vouchers, reselling them back to members at FULL price and then giving them a little bit back - which breaches Love2shop trading terms. And it lies about the big retailers who join so they can con the smaller retailers out of thousands
    of pounds in joining fees.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoness#Legality_and_alleged_deceptive_practices ;)
  • ceivegz
    ceivegz Posts: 71
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The Cashback Maximiser tool, while not always completely reliable, did just what it said on the tin...it maximised my cashback on online purchases. I now resort to just using Quidco and Topcashback rather than searching all the sites individually. Are there any other online tools out there that allow you to compare cashback?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback