PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Menu...

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    I know it's tradition, but some of your plates must be size of manhole covers to fit in all that food! What's with all the veg too? So many different varieties. Why?? I suppose it's because you like them, but still four or five different veg sides. OMG.

We have lots of different veg:
    roast potatoes, new potatoes, mash, sprouts, carrots, cabbage, roast parsnips, roast leeks & romanesco.
    Only small amounts of each but we like the variety of tastes.
    This year, we're having pork (neither of us like turkey) so will also have stuffing with added sausage meat.

We have a breakfast of tomato sausage, black pudding & brown sauce on a roll so we don't have starters & neither of us likes puddings.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A spoonful of each veg and a slice or two of meat doesn't require a manhole cover-sized plate. Even if you do have a pig in a blanket and a stuffing ball with it.

Neither does a salad starter with 1/6th of a quiche, or a few fish goujons/mushrooms.

It just makes the meal a bit more different to others throughout the year. And there are plenty of us, so everything is either eaten over the course of the few days (including a packed lunch for us to drive home with) or frozen to be used as an instant dinner in January.

Our main is usually about an hour after our starter by the time we've eaten, cleared up and dished up again. Last year, most of us didn't have pudding on Christmas day at all. We don't have a big lunch either.
  • JButler
    JButler Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses guys! I can see it being the usual suspects that we have every year! I think I might be in trouble if I break with tradition. :rotfl:
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life ... until I go and buy something!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    I know it's tradition, but some of your plates must be size of manhole covers to fit in all that food! What's with all the veg too? So many different varieties. Why?? I suppose it's because you like them, but still four or five different veg sides. OMG.

But whatever you like, enjoy.

Ours is very simple, neither of us like huge portions of anything.

Scrambled egg and smoked salmon on bagels with fizz for breakfast. Yep fizz for breakfast. OK once a year I reckon!

Lunch/Dinner, homemade veg soup with cream and home made brown soda bread with REAL butter.

After an hour or so, salmon en crutches (en croute ha ha), roast, mash and croquettes, roasted root veg and that's it.

Cheese and bikkies to nibble at through the evening.

Plenty of wine and brandy to finish it (and us!) off.

Baileys coffee at some point.

Hic.

It's as much about the drinks as the food here as you can see!

Wow, you may have small plates but you are certainly tucking away the calories :rotfl:

This is my table at Christmas. The veg is in normal cereal bowls , the meat is on a platter and will do three days at least

2_CA8_D91_F-_AFB4-4_B07-_AA47-9_C0_C3_EC0219_B.jpg
  • vivaespana
    Options
    I have a huge challenge for Christmas dinner this year. I am on my own in a micro caravan with only a two burner stove and a slowcooker at my disposal and EVERYTHING to do with a traditional Christmas dinner seems to involve an oven! I am thinking turkey slices from the deli, I might try to fry stuffing balls instead of baking, boiled/mash potatoes is achievable but I will miss out on crispy roast spuds. Even all the pre-prepared stuff involves an oven! At least the wine doesn't need an oven!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    vivaespana wrote: »
    I have a huge challenge for Christmas dinner this year. I am on my own in a micro caravan with only a two burner stove and a slowcooker at my disposal and EVERYTHING to do with a traditional Christmas dinner seems to involve an oven! I am thinking turkey slices from the deli, I might try to fry stuffing balls instead of baking, boiled/mash potatoes is achievable but I will miss out on crispy roast spuds. Even all the pre-prepared stuff involves an oven! At least the wine doesn't need an oven!!

I am on my own without an oven/hob. Looks like you've got it covered, so don't need my "input/help"

Turkey slices are great as you've no leftovers. I'm doing a turkey breast that's sold in a foil container.

I did my first one last year - learnt some lessons - and this year have a slightly different menu.
  • Bellisima
    Options
    We’ve never done a starter. I feel starters blunt the appetite, don’t even like them in a restaurant, especially as there is so much food on offer in the main course and pudding, then of course the evening tea.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    We have some regular favourites:

Feta and watermelon salad- there are lots of variations on this, I like to add pistachios too.

Hot smoked salmon salad with orange segments and a honey/mustard dressing

Blue cheese, spinach and bacon salad

It just wants the tiniest of portions, a ramekin full at most, not a great bowl full. Its generally eaten while the veg finishes off in this house, so that everybody is sat at the table ready, with crackers done, glasses filled and ready to help themselves to the main course.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Wow, you may have small plates but you are certainly tucking away the calories :rotfl:

This is my table at Christmas. The veg is in normal cereal bowls , the meat is on a platter and will do three days at least

2_CA8_D91_F-_AFB4-4_B07-_AA47-9_C0_C3_EC0219_B.jpg
    I'm coveting that meat platter, Suki. :)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm coveting that meat platter, Suki. :)

Lol

I love that platter. It was a find from a house due to be refurbed I couldn't find it one year and was totally distraught ,( I know know exactly where it is)

I had one plate warmer ( just found one last week in a charity shop for £1 as new) so it made sense to pile the meats and stuffings on that,esp as they would be getting pretty cool time dinner was ready

Any ways that how I do Christmas, cook up a storm for the day and become creative with left overs till New Year's Eve That night I cheat and buy party food as I have a house full and nyd it's an Ulster fry then a liverner:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure