PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Gas leak advice!

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    My money is on the latter.

Its funny how different 'acceptable levels' sounds when you add a barely on the front!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beaut.bebe wrote: »
    ...I’m not sure I’m going to get any advice that isn’t people just telling me I did the incorrect thing so won’t I check back again to this thread. If this is the pool of people available for friendly, non judgemental advice I’m not sure I’ll be using this site’s forums anymore either.

Given the apparent confusion over the type of gas and the potential for there still being a problem with CO I think we have to hope the OP does check back, and those final words don't become prophetic :(

Is it possible for someone on the forum team to send the OP an email?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Given the apparent confusion over the type of gas and the potential for there still being a problem with CO I think we have to hope the OP does check back, and those final words don't become prophetic :(

Is it possible for someone on the forum team to send the OP an email?

I wouldn’t worry about the OP. The hospital sent them home because the levels of CO in their blood stream were acceptable. Bear in mind that the hospital will err on the side of caution so it’s unlikely the CO levels are anyway near high enough to cause harm.

The OP has a “gas alarm” I take that to mean a CO alarm although I suppose it could turn out to be a toaster. If the CO levels in the property were dangerously high, in fact not even dangerously high but significant then the alarm would be triggered. The CO present in their blood could be down to smoking, passive smoking, pollution, vehicle exhausts or paint fumes.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP I'm sorry this situation scared you but this shouldn't have been a big traumatic event. It's not going to be the last time you think you smell gas in your home and most leaks are tiny where you aren't even sure you are smelling gas most of the time. You just call someone out and they fix it.

Generally when you smell gas you don't turn on any lights or have a naked flame. If you can't get a gas safe engineer immediately then you ring the emergency number. They'll make the place safe until you can get an engineer out to make any repairs.

While there was no need to go to hospital, with such a young baby I think many may have done the same. Perhaps the medical staff misunderstood the gas you were concerned about as generally people dont seek medical attention for natural gas. Carbon monoxide is not something you get from a gas leak but from boilers and gas heaters. Or perhaps they are under that misconception or were being over-cautious but that isn't the landlord or engineer's fault.

If you think an engineer isn't registered with gas safe or is incompetent then report them to Gas Safe. Plus have at least one CO alarm in your house, preferably near the boiler, any gas heaters and perhaps one upstairs if that isn't where your boiler is (as we spend a long time asleep). It sounds like you already have an alarm which is great.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    G_M who are Transco? They haven't existed for over 10 years now.
    Does it matter?

Whatever they are now called, their number will be on the gas bill (and as others have pointed out, on the meter and elsewhere).

the name is hardly material...... (or should that be 'barely'....?)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Does it matter?

Whatever they are now called, their number will be on the gas bill (and as others have pointed out, on the meter and elsewhere).

the name is hardly material...... (or should that be 'barely'....?)

Does it matter when people use 'DSS'? ;)
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does it matter when people use 'DSS'? ;)
    LOL, until this thread I did not know Transco no longer existed, as the last time we had a gas leak (2003) that's who I called as I was sensible enough to rate them as more relevant than calling Ghostbusters in the circumstances.

Of course had the leak continued, Ghostbusters would have become relevant....
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They also don't mind being called out to check for gas leaks if you're unsure. Better safe than sorry. As I found out when I reported a gas leak when the problem was actually a bowlful of chopped up swede. (Long story, not entirely my fault. Honest.)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    As I found out when I reported a gas leak when the problem was actually a bowlful of chopped up swede. (Long story, not entirely my fault. Honest.)
    I'm sitting comfortably, and there's a cup of tea here, so feel free to go on...
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    chopped up swede. (Long story, not entirely my fault. Honest.)
    the absence of a capital S is a relief, otherwise one would wonder if an accomplice has just been discovered.

RIP Kim Wall
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport