Help! paying out to the claims guys..

Options
124»

Comments

• DeeDee3006
    Options
    I was made Bankrupt in 2005 so thought I wouldn’t be able to claim.
    In April this year I filled out forms with Claim Eazy, I was honest and told them this and not surprisingly received a letter from them informing me I couldn’t claim due to Bankruptcy. Never gave it another thought.
    In Oct I received a letter from Nat West informing me of the complaint they had received from me and were looking into it. As I haven’t been with Nat West since my Bankruptcy I just thought it odd, scam maybe. So ignored it.
    Last week I received another letter from Nat West with a cheque for just over £1,000 for a mid sold bank account package.I was ecstatic!!

The very next day I was bombarded via email, text message and voicemails from Claim Eazy asking for nearly 50%. The very next day a letter stating the same giving me 14 days to pay it until 5th December. Now a little deflated but still £500 up.
    I do think 50% is high, I have no paperwork as I binned it after telling me I
    Could not claim. I have no proof.

If I have to pay I will but I have at least 10
    Phone calls, emails, texts a day, they are obviously panicking. Surely if this is legit why are they hounding me, do I have to pay it???

Some constructive advice would be very helpful please ⛄️
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 December 2017 at 12:00AM
    Options
    Bankrupts cannot complain about PBAs pre-dating their bankruptcy. Any redress is a pre-bankruptcy asset that belongs to the Official Receiver. So if you held this Bank account prior to 2005 you can expect the OR to come calling as well as the Claim Company.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3766585
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last week I received another letter from Nat West with a cheque for just over £1,000 for a mid sold bank account package.I was ecstatic!!

Was that for a PBA before 2005 or after?

Post 2005, you get to keep it. Pre 2005, it does not belong to you.
    Phone calls, emails, texts a day, they are obviously panicking. Surely if this is legit why are they hounding me, do I have to pay it???

That is how CMCs act. Quite normal.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    DeeDee3006 wrote: »
    I was made Bankrupt in 2005 so thought I wouldn’t be able to claim.
    In April this year I filled out forms with Claim Eazy, I was honest and told them this and not surprisingly received a letter from them informing me I couldn’t claim due to Bankruptcy. Never gave it another thought.
    In Oct I received a letter from Nat West informing me of the complaint they had received from me and were looking into it. As I haven’t been with Nat West since my Bankruptcy I just thought it odd, scam maybe. So ignored it.

The very next day I was bombarded via email, text message and voicemails from Claim Eazy asking for nearly 50%. The very next day a letter stating the same giving me 14 days to pay it until 5th December. Now a little deflated but still £500 up.
    I do think 50% is high, I have no paperwork as I binned it after telling me I
    Could not claim. I have no proof.

Some constructive advice would be very helpful please ⛄️

They're not panicking, they're persistent. They'll continue to be persistent until you pay up.

If the complaint relates to a time before your BR, you need to declare your windfall to the OR.
  • DeeDee3006
    Options
    It was from Nat West pre Bankruptcy.
    I have paid it just wanted to make sure that 50% was the norm seeing as I have no paperwork as claim eazy
    Told me I wasn’t entitled. Suddenly I was. Does make me wonder though if Nat West sent them the cheque would they have let me know ��

Thanks anyway ��
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Does make me wonder though if Nat West sent them the cheque would they have let me know �
    The Bank would never pay redress direct to a Claim Company, since they are a third party who you alone employed.
    It was from Nat West pre Bankruptcy.
    So what are you going to do when the Official Receiver wants you to pay the whole redress amount back? As already mentioned earlier, none of this refund actually belongs to you...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be wary there there is a lag between the OR finding out and them asking you. The longest we have seen has been 3 years.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure