DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• Keezing
    Keezing Posts: 322
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Twins wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can help shed some light on PRA.

As some of you know I have 2 accounts with PRA and I requested CCA's for them both and PRA came back and said they were unenforceable. At the same time I complained that they had not recorded the correct default date of August 2011 which is when I took out my DMP, instead they had been marking it as AP. PRA wrote back and said they agreed with me and they would update my credit file.

Today I had notification that there was an update on my credit file from Clearscore. I checked and it said there was a negative mark. Then it said - PRA group applied default and also PRA Group closed both accounts??

So what does this mean? Are PRA Group saying I no longer owe that money and have closed the accounts for good? Will my credit score improve again once we hit August which will be the 6 year marker and I'm told debs drop off after first default.

Noodle at the moment doesn't show any changes.

Would love your thoughts. Thank you!

When an account is defaulted it is also technically "closed".

It doesn't mean the balance has been settled or is no longer owed.
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Keezing wrote: »
    When an account is defaulted it is also technically "closed".

It doesn't mean the balance has been settled or is no longer owed.

Thanks Keezing. I'm still confused thought as the accounts have moved to the 'Closed' section. I have other accounts that have Defaulted and are not closed. So I'm still confused.

Sourcrates - what do you think?
  • Hello all,

First time poster, long time DMPer and lurker on this forum.

Started a DMP in 2014 with fee charging company and started making payments straight away with no emergency fund built up.

Provider pulled out of the market last summer and once I had got over the old feelings of fear and shame I took control and went self managed.

So far so good. No payments missed and generally I have managed to live not just exist.

Debt free in 3.5 years (2.5 years in to 6 year plan).

I have just this week updated my I&E statement and despite an increase in income I have determined I need to reduce payments due to increased outgoings including a new addition to the family.

I have written to my creditors with updated statement and updated, lower, offers of payment.

No idea what their response will be.

Anyway got in the car this morning and it wouldn't start. Waiting for the AA as we speak and hoping that it's nothing serious but now panicked that I might have to write to creditors to advise I'm stopping payments for a couple of months to pay for car repairs just days after I wrote to them to offer lower payments. It really won't look good.

And it was all going so well! :(
  • £15k cleared and around £20k still to go!:)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Twins wrote: »
    Thanks Keezing. I'm still confused thought as the accounts have moved to the 'Closed' section. I have other accounts that have Defaulted and are not closed. So I'm still confused.

Sourcrates - what do you think?

Hi,

When creditors cant produce valid credit agreements, and they admit the debts are unenforceable, they sometimes take a commercial decision that its not worth chasing these accounts anymore, as the likelihood of obtaining any further payment is practically zero.

It appears to be whats happened in your case, they have given up, closed the accounts, and put it down to experience, which is exactly what you should now do also.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

When creditors cant produce valid credit agreements, and they admit the debts are unenforceable, they sometimes take a commercial decision that its not worth chasing these accounts anymore, as the likelihood of obtaining any further payment is practically zero.

It appears to be whats happened in your case, they have given up, closed the accounts, and put it down to experience, which is exactly what you should now do also.

Whoop! :T Thank you Sourcrates! One of those were my biggest two debts. That's £5,145,10 closed! Don't mind me whilst I do a happy dance over here :j

Thanks for all your help again! :beer:
  • Keezing
    Forumite
    ClearScore moves all defaulted accounts to the closed tab.

Are you sure you have defaulted accounts on the open tab? That would be very unusual.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Forumite
    Hello all,

First time poster, long time DMPer and lurker on this forum.

Started a DMP in 2014 with fee charging company and started making payments straight away with no emergency fund built up.

Provider pulled out of the market last summer and once I had got over the old feelings of fear and shame I took control and went self managed.

So far so good. No payments missed and generally I have managed to live not just exist.

Debt free in 3.5 years (2.5 years in to 6 year plan).

I have just this week updated my I&E statement and despite an increase in income I have determined I need to reduce payments due to increased outgoings including a new addition to the family.

I have written to my creditors with updated statement and updated, lower, offers of payment.

No idea what their response will be.

Anyway got in the car this morning and it wouldn't start. Waiting for the AA as we speak and hoping that it's nothing serious but now panicked that I might have to write to creditors to advise I'm stopping payments for a couple of months to pay for car repairs just days after I wrote to them to offer lower payments. It really won't look good.

And it was all going so well! :(

Hi wish, welcome to the thread. I wouldn't worry, the reason you've had to lower payments is because you can't save enough for emergencies such as car repairs. Hopefully it was a quick cheap fix, but if not, just work out what you need to not pay and tell them that's what's happening. What's the worse they could do?

Congrats on new addition btw :T

Saz
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • leanne12345
    leanne12345 Posts: 92
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Keezing wrote: »
    ClearScore moves all defaulted accounts to the closed tab.

Are you sure you have defaulted accounts on the open tab? That would be very unusual.

I also have defaulted accounts on the open tab, although this is on Noddle not Clearscore so not sure if that makes a difference? (They are not showing on Clearscore at all as everything has disappeared from my Clearscore report including my bank account and mortgage)
  • Keezing
    Forumite
    I also have defaulted accounts on the open tab, although this is on Noddle not Clearscore so not sure if that makes a difference? (They are not showing on Clearscore at all as everything has disappeared from my Clearscore report including my bank account and mortgage)

Yes ClearScore is different to Noddle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport