secured loans with poor credit

angemcl
angemcl Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 20 April 2017 at 9:02PM in Loans
Hi all,

I am looking for any advice regarding securing a secured loan with a poor credit history.

Approx 100k equity on my house, 10 yrs left on repayment mortgage. Looking for Approx £20k to consolidate and clear debts into one payment. Halifax current mortgage provider and not being helpful in terms of additional borrowing.

Any advice on lenders that are willing to work with poor credit history. Household annual income £60k. Current mortgage payment 1070per month.

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have a look around on the Debt-Free Wannabe board and post a statement of affairs (found at http://stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php) on there to get advice on how to cut back expenditure. Consolidation rarely works unless you tackle your expenditure.

With £60k household income, you can easily clear the £20k debt without resorting to secured loans, plus the chances are that it will be against your mortage's T+Cs to put additional charges on the property.

Good Luck! :)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Consolidating just moves it from A to B and may extend the term your lumbered with the loan. Its not a wise move to turn unsecured debt into secured against your home but go ahead if you like.

If you lose your job or something happens meaning your down to 1 income your home will be at risk.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My advice, don't do it, it's akin to jumping out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Consolidation is rarely a good option, (take it from one who knows from very painful personal experience) secured loans for consolidation are utter madness, never, ever pay off debt with more debt, especially secured debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    60k income and 20k debt with a mortgage of just 1k. You don't need a loan you just need to cut back, that debt could be written off in 2 years with that income.

Pay the most to the highest interest first to clear it quicker. Looking for additional borrowing is just keeping within the vicious debt circle.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    You're not clearing your debts, you're escalating them.

Never, EVER think that changing unsecured debt to secured debt is a good idea. it's crazy.

Take Halifax being reticent as a blessing and get to the DFW boards ASAP.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bris wrote: »
    60k income and 20k debt with a mortgage of just 1k. You don't need a loan you just need to cut back, that debt could be written off in 2 years with that income.

Pay the most to the highest interest first to clear it quicker. Looking for additional borrowing is just keeping within the vicious debt circle.

+1 on that advice.

You do not need further borrowing you just need to control your spending. Be grateful your lender is reluctant to stick this on your mortgage. You would regret doing so.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    So....

Annual income £60,000

Mortgage repayments £12,840

Assume £12,000 a year for living costs in total including food, council tax, gas and electric, water, phone, fuel etc but excluding borrowing. If your outgoings excluding your borrowing and mortgage is higher than that you need to take a long hard look at your lifestyle.

Leaves just over £35,000 a year to repay £20k of debt.

Tell us again why you need to borrow £20k to pay £20k of debt? Just pay off the debts as advised above and be clear in less than a year. It does mean you are going to have to do without some of the utter crap you've been blowing your money on for the last several years but clearly as you couldn't afford to then maybe it may turn out to be a good lesson in living within your means and save you getting back where you are now.
  • dresdendave
    dresdendave Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    So....

Annual income £60,000

Mortgage repayments £12,840

Assume £12,000 a year for living costs in total including food, council tax, gas and electric, water, phone, fuel etc but excluding borrowing. If your outgoings excluding your borrowing and mortgage is higher than that you need to take a long hard look at your lifestyle.

Leaves just over £35,000 a year to repay £20k of debt.

Tell us again why you need to borrow £20k to pay £20k of debt? Just pay off the debts as advised above and be clear in less than a year. It does mean you are going to have to do without some of the utter crap you've been blowing your money on for the last several years but clearly as you couldn't afford to then maybe it may turn out to be a good lesson in living within your means and save you getting back where you are now.

Although I agree with the gist of your post, I expect £60k is the salarie(s) before income tax and NI so your calculation of £35k disposable income is somewhat inflated.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Although I agree with the gist of your post, I expect £60k is the salarie(s) before income tax and NI so your calculation of £35k disposable income is somewhat inflated.

OK....

Annual net income £42597
    Mortgage repayments £12840
    Living costs £12000

Leaves over £17500 a year to pay a £20k debt.

Why the hell would someone pay 4-5 years more interest on a debt they could clear inside 15 months?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure