My Motability end 6 months after handing car back help?

Hello all hope everyone is good on here.

I have a situation and I really do not know how to deal with it, so I hope someone has dealt with this matter in the past and could best advice me.

When I was awarded PIP I was awarded it with Motability. The problem is though I was awarded it for three and a half years. I know it is a while away yet but I have to hand the car back in Feb 2018 but my Motability payments continue till Nov 2018 so im stuck then for 10 months without a vehicle. In this situation what would you normally do to resolve this as this is the first time I ever claimed motability.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Do you mean it's due for review in feb 2018?

If so I think I'm right saying that they'll review you before that.

If it gets to say October this year and they haven't initiated the review process I'd speak to the DWP, and also to Motability themselves. It is possible to extend leases in some circumstances. most importantly, don't panic, it won't be insurmountable
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,930 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    zexbox wrote: »

I have a situation and I really do not know how to deal with it, so I hope someone has dealt with this matter in the past and could best advice me.

When I was awarded PIP I was awarded it with Motability. The problem is though I was awarded it for three and a half years. I know it is a while away yet but I have to hand the car back in Feb 2018 but my Motability payments continue till Nov 2018 so im stuck then for 10 months without a vehicle. In this situation what would you normally do to resolve this as this is the first time I ever claimed motability.

Thanks in advance.
    Reviews take place 1 year before your award is due to end. With an award date till November 2018 they will review you in November 2017. Review forms are much shorter than the PIP2 forms and much easier to fill in.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Thanks in advance.

So, I think what you are saying is that your MOTABILITY car contract ends in Feb 2018, but your PIP MOBILITY award is due for re-assesment in November 2018, is that right?

I wonder if motability would allow you to extend your lease on the car until November? I know that they will extend a normal 3 year lease to 5 years in some circumstances, perhaps they can be more flexible than that.
    In your shoes I would give them a call and ask. The people at Motability are absolutely lovely to speak to, and they try to help as much as possible.
    Give them a call on 0300 456 4566, then you'll get the answer you need.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Reviews take place 1 year before your award is due to end. With an award date till November 2018 they will review you in November 2017. Review forms are much shorter than the PIP2 forms and much easier to fill in.

My current award expires in September this year and I've not had a review form, the only letter I've had is the standard yearly updating letter. Should I be concerned?
  • poppy12345
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    My current award expires in September this year and I've not had a review form, the only letter I've had is the standard yearly updating letter. Should I be concerned?
    If it was me i'd be wondering why they haven't contacted me because reviews are always done 1 year before the award is due to end. I'd ring them if i were you.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    If it was me i'd be wondering why they haven't contacted me because reviews are always done 1 year before the award is due to end. I'd ring them if i were you.

I'm not poking that bear, it might be because it was a relatively short award (18 months), the recent up-rating letter means they know I'm still here so I'll let them send their forms out in their own time.
  • zexbox
    zexbox Posts: 12 Forumite
    I would like to thank you all for your answers.

My original PIP award was for 3 years 8 months. We had the car in a febuary and the 3 years end in Feb 2018 but my PIP is up for renewal in Nov 2018. I was just wondering what happens normally in that gap, do I go out and buy a banger for my drive me around in? This is the first time I have ever been on PIP so I have no experience in this field. But I feel abit more confident now. I do hope the renew is a lot easier than the PIP2 form, I was surprised I never had a medical it was just awarded to me when I gave all my details.

I am in a no better state than I was 3 years ago. I would love for all of my issues just go away s I can get back on with my life, but im one of those people who always gets hit with bad news. They will not operate on my spine so I cn get some feeling back in my legs and make the pain go away, but they will drill in my head to try sort the epilepsy out, it's crazy. However I have my limits and I would rather live with Epilepsy than have my head drilled.

Thank you anyway, I shall not bore you with my issues lol...

x
  • poppy12345
    I would like to thank you all for your answers.

My original PIP award was for 3 years 8 months. We had the car in a febuary and the 3 years end in Feb 2018 but my PIP is up for renewal in Nov 2018. I was just wondering what happens normally in that gap, do I go out and buy a banger for my drive me around in? This is the first time I have ever been on PIP so I have no experience in this field. But I feel abit more confident now. I do hope the renew is a lot easier than the PIP2 form, I was surprised I never had a medical it was just awarded to me when I gave all my details.

I am in a no better state than I was 3 years ago. I would love for all of my issues just go away s I can get back on with my life, but im one of those people who always gets hit with bad news. They will not operate on my spine so I cn get some feeling back in my legs and make the pain go away, but they will drill in my head to try sort the epilepsy out, it's crazy. However I have my limits and I would rather live with Epilepsy than have my head drilled.

Thank you anyway, I shall not bore you with my issues lol...

x
    PIP reviews are normally done 1 year before the award is due to end so if your award was for 3 years 8 months your renewal should be November 2017. My award is until November 2020 but my review is November 2019. At the end of your award notice it should state a date in which they'll contact you by which would be about 1 year before your award is due to end, please check just in case. Review forms are much shorter than PIP2 ones with simple boxes to tick, if there's no change just tick that box, if there's changes tick the box and tell them why and what's changed. Send evidence with your form as before but that's pretty much it. Hope this helps.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I'm not poking that bear, it might be because it was a relatively short award (18 months), the recent up-rating letter means they know I'm still here so I'll let them send their forms out in their own time.

glaswejen, worth a read of Rightsnet http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11055/ seems folk are having their PIP stopped during late reviews, not worth waiting too much longer
  • poppy12345
    w06 wrote: »
    glaswejen, worth a read of Rightsnet http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11055/ seems folk are having their PIP stopped during late reviews, not worth waiting too much longer
    You're right payments will stop at the award date end if a review or decision hasn't been made on existing award. This has always been the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure