DWP and bank statements

I know the DWP can request to see bank statements and was just wondering how far back they request. Will it be a years history or 3 years or what?

My bank account only allows me to print off the last 3 months history for some reason.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    We generally asked for statements covering the 6 months prior to the start of the claim for a new claim, or the last 6 months for a query regarding an existing claim.
  • IGN
    IGN Posts: 12 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    We generally asked for statements covering the 6 months prior to the start of the claim for a new claim, or the last 6 months for a query regarding an existing claim.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to go into my bank and see if they can print off longer than 3 months. You say "we" so can I assume you work for the DWP?
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    2 months is the norm for both UC (JCP) & HB (Councils) in the Merseyside Area.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    IGN wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to go into my bank and see if they can print off longer than 3 months. You say "we" so can I assume you work for the DWP?

Depending how quickly you need them you'll probably find it cheaper to do a Subject Access Request. It used to cost a tenner, but might have gone up. It takes up to 40 days though.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • TELLIT01
    IGN wrote: »

Sorry, Yes I do mean DWP when I say 'We'.
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    when you give or send bank statements to the DWP do they have the rite to keep them or if when sent or given to them you inform them that you want them returned can they refuse to return them and how long can they keep them?
  • TELLIT01
    stevenpc wrote: »
    when you give or send bank statements to the DWP do they have the rite to keep them or if when sent or given to them you inform them that you want them returned can they refuse to return them and how long can they keep them?

DWP should always return bank statements to you as quickly as possible. They will take their own copies and retain those. They do however need to see originals as it's comparatively easy to tamper with information and that wouldn't necessarily be obvious on a photocopy.
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DWP should always return bank statements to you as quickly as possible. They will take their own copies and retain those. They do however need to see originals as it's comparatively easy to tamper with information and that wouldn't necessarily be obvious on a photocopy.

as its now been almost 9 months since i handed statements into dwp with a letter saying they where to be returned and todate they have not been returned and have not replied to 2 letters what if any action can i take to get them back b4 they end up on some council tip ?
  • TELLIT01
    Call again and say that you want to make an official complaint about non-return of bank statements. There is a form they can send to you and hopefully it will kick somebody into action to dig them out and return them.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    They do however need to see originals as it's comparatively easy to tamper with information and that wouldn't necessarily be obvious on a photocopy.

How does that work in these days of online account management and no paper statements?
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure