MSE News: Should you call your bank before going abroad?

When you use your card to make purchases abroad, it can mean you display an abnormal spending pattern...
Read the full story:

Should you call your bank before going abroad?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• PeteDoff
    PeteDoff Posts: 428 Forumite
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    When you use your card to make purchases abroad, it can mean you display an abnormal spending pattern...

I'd better call my bank before spending anything in Britain then.
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I do this but get varied responses. When I explain that I may use my debit/credit card. Some thank me and make a note of it. Others sound bemused and tell me to have a lovely holiday!
  • menai
    menai Posts: 3 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have just contacted SANTANDER, your information id incorrect. You do NOT have to notify them if using credit card in Europe.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did (two banks) and everything worked well.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    menai wrote: »
    I have just contacted SANTANDER, your information id incorrect. You do NOT have to notify them if using credit card in Europe.

And what happens if your going further than Europe...............?
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't tell my bank when we went to centreparcs for the weekend and they blocked my Tesco order that I did online on the Sunday morning for delivery when we got back! (I know I should get a life).
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It makes no difference, its all algorithms. Bought currency with your debit card? Used your card at Gatwick? Buying dinner in Bodrum? Computer says yes. Clever things these systems.
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't understand why in the article Nationwide is listed as one of the ones you SHOULD call.

Every time we go away, I always call my banks just in case. Every time, Nationwide always tell me I don't need to tell them - I don't even get as far as telling them where I'm travelling, or dates.

They always say instead, to use the card for a transaction at the airport before leaving, as that way they'll know that I've travelled abroad.

So I'm not sure the article is quite up to date?

(I should add that I've rung them about 3 times a year for at least the last 2 to 3 years, and this has always been Nationwide's response).
  • PeteDoff
    PeteDoff Posts: 428 Forumite
    boots_babe wrote: »
    They always say instead, to use the card for a transaction at the airport before leaving, as that way they'll know that I've travelled abroad.

Buying something in a UK airport doubles the cost of the trip though.
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Barclaycard is listed as "No" but I've had trouble twice and that was only in other parts of the UK!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure