Switching Timings

Psyduck1980
Psyduck1980 Posts: 139
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
I have just read an old article on MSE which states you can give your energy provider notice before you enter the 49 day switching window and not pay early exit fees if the switch actually completes inside the 49 days. Is anyone able to confirm this remains the case? Also, how long does a switch normally take, assuming there are no objections? My current tariff expires at the end of June and has early exit fees of £100 so I want to make sure I avoid these. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,683
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A switch can be completed in about 17 days. It is far simpler to leave it until the 49 day point which avoids any protracted arguments. If the switch delays your prices are protected for 20 days after your contract end date.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    molerat wrote: »
    A switch can be completed in about 17 days. It is far simpler to leave it until the 49 day point which avoids any protracted arguments. If the switch delays your prices are protected for 20 days after your contract end date.

Not 100% true. Provided that the losing supplier is informed via industry procedures no later than the end of fix date plus 20 days, the consumer has tariff protection until the transfer goes through.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    Not 100% true. Provided that the losing supplier is informed via industry procedures no later than the end of fix date plus 20 days, the consumer has tariff protection until the transfer goes through.

This is interesting. I have similar concerns to the o/p.

Presumably though that tariff protection would not apply if there were arrears and the switch not allowed? Is that why some 'fly by night' suppliers are so keen to allege arrears?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    jk0 wrote: »
    This is interesting. I have similar concerns to the o/p.

Presumably though that tariff protection would not apply if there were arrears and the switch not allowed? Is that why some 'fly by night' suppliers are so keen to allege arrears?

If a supplier blocks a transfer, then the transfer is effectively cancelled. No transfer, then no price protection if you reach your end of contract date.

FWIW, the 20 day tariff protection is built into the Supply Licence. I am guessing here but I think that the rationale is based on the fact that a consumer can apply to switch as late as the last day of the contract. The customer then has a 14 day cooling off period before the supplier has to start the transfer process. The new supplier has until Day 6 after notification to block a transfer. I appreciate that many suppliers are signed up to 17 day switching but that isn’t the case across the board. Some still take no transfer action during the cooling off period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure