PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Modern washing machines - lack of water

Comments

• Finefoot
    Finefoot Posts: 644 Forumite
    I know what you mean! Mine measures the weight of the load to decide how much water to use. I put a towel in water first then put it in the drum to trick it into thinking its a larger load. I also don't like washing everything in cold water, but my new machine does not allow me to increase the water temperature, only decrease it. :mad:
    Loving the sunny days!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    WOW!
    All this new technology designed to save money on water and electricity and some people are trying to take a step back in time...

I could understand it if the results aren't as good as your old machine - but that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Re the water temperature - if you use biological washing powder then its optimum temp is between 30 and 40 degrees . If you put it on a 60 or 90 wash then don't bother with bio as the enzymes which digest the food are 'cooked' (Science word is denatured) which means they no longer work.
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Techno wrote: »
    Re the water temperature - if you use biological washing powder then its optimum temp is between 30 and 40 degrees . If you put it on a 60 or 90 wash then don't bother with bio as the enzymes which digest the food are 'cooked' (Science word is denatured) which means they no longer work.

No bio detergents in this house due to skin allergies, denatured proteins or otherwise.

Actually most of the time just use pure old fashioned soap, white vinegar and soda crystals. You can use hydrogen peroxide on tough stains. Soda crystals soften the water meaning you use less detergent overall and prevent limescale damage to your machine. The only 'science' to cleaning things is using acids and alkalis correctly, diluted or rinsed with water as appropriate. Don't fall for the marketing hype!

Same expert told me only to ever use powder, as the others gunk up your machine (mostly probably due to low temps) and break it over time.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My suggestion would be to stop sitting and watching it, and find something a bit more constructive to do. Especially as the clothes are coming out clean anyway.
    If the programmes are too long for you, does it not have a shorter quick wash? My quick wash takes about an hour, you can choose the temperature, and is perfectly adequate for every day washes.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I feel your pain I felt the same when I got my new machine.

It weighs the clothes on the standard cycles so I use the quick 1hr wash plus extra rinse, at least with that wash you get a set amount of water regardless of what you put in.

It does have its advantages, if you forget to add something you stop the machine mid cycle and can open the door without flooding to add the extra item(s). If you try this you will feel that the clothes are wet even though they are not floating in water.

It is annoying when you have someone with allergies in the house so need to make sure clothes are well rinsed, hence why I always use extra rinse as standard.
  • My new machine is wearing away the laundry, and I'm pretty sure that it's because there isn't enough water to float and lubricate the contents adequately.

Clothes come out with what looks like white washing powder stains all over them, but when you look closely with a magnifier it's all finely ground fibres off the washing. You can see several patches on my bed linen where the fabric has worn thin.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    jack_pott wrote: »
    My new machine is wearing away the laundry, and I'm pretty sure that it's because there isn't enough water to float and lubricate the contents adequately.

Clothes come out with what looks like white washing powder stains all over them, but when you look closely with a magnifier it's all finely ground fibres off the washing. You can see several patches on my bed linen where the fabric has worn thin.
    What make is it?

Have you checked for reviews saying the same as you're experiencing?

Is it plumbed in properly?
    My sis's ex plumbed their new one in wrong, can't remember exactly what he did but my sis had the engineer out and he told her that.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    its an older miele (when it dies i will be replacing with another miele)

Same here, 20+ years and washes brilliantly. I'm starting the replacement fund now JIC :)
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    What make is it?

Have you checked for reviews saying the same as you're experiencing?

Is it plumbed in properly?
    My sis's ex plumbed their new one in wrong, can't remember exactly what he did but my sis had the engineer out and he told her that.

An Indesit. Yes it's plumbed in correctly (if you have the standpipe too low, that will stop it filling to the correct level).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure