PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7 a day the Paleo way

elantan
elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 18 March 2018 at 11:12PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi all,

Hope this is in the right place,

I'm an ex regular poster on the MFW board, getting back into posting daily again after losing my log in details.

we have successfully managed to transition from the DFW board to the MFW board through hard work and determination, with many side slips, fall down and get back up again's along the way. We have accumulated more debt again due to many reasons and are working on this, However,

One of the challenges that I have had since first ever coming onto MSE is my food budget, we just cant seem to either get on top of it or even get a real grip on how much we are spending, we have tried the keeping all receipts, joining challenges, we even did the £100 a month for 4 challenge.

Now these are all great and work for many people, however they just dont seem to have staying power for our family, I have wondered if it is because they were not quite individualised for us, or possibly a whole myriad of other reasons that I cant quite work out.

Now Mr El and myself eat very differently, I eat more of a Paleo style of eating, i'm not strict, I do also enjoy things like bullet proof coffee, and i often fall off the paleo wagon, so whilst i am going to be aiming for Paleo I aint gonna be strict.

I also like to shop ethically, locally etc and where possible organic free range grass fed etc.

Now I know and fully understand that for most people £7 per person per day is a huge budget, many people manage on much less and I respect that they do so, this challenge isnt in anyway aimed at making people feel stressed etc.

I also realise my budget should be a skoosh to manage, but if it was such a skoosh I still wouldn't be having this issue many years later, if I can manage to get it down to £7 a day comfortably I will lower it till I can reach a budget that is more realistic and affordable for myself.

I havnt quite decided yet what will count on this challenge and what wont, for example will I add in the diesel money and wear and tear on the car for driving to the local farm area etc to purchase the food? Will I add in the supplements I use? Will I add in the purchases of coconut oil?

All these things are up for debate

I hope you will join me on my quest advice is as always welcome, constructive criticism also,

lets see how far down the rabbit hole this will go

P.S. I would also like to get on top of other things like face creams, shampoo etc as well ... but one challenge at a time eh

Admin's if this isnt on the right board please feel free to move

Comments

• elantan
    edited 19 March 2018 at 4:30PM
    reserved for prices

ok prices so far that I can think of, this list will be added to, taken from Asna, amozan etc websites ... I may shop elsewhere and will do but trying to get a basic price list going for easy reference.

18/03/18

butter £2 per 250g block
    free range eggs 25p each (large)
    M.C.T oil 30p per 5 ml spoon
    Himalayan salt 3p per gram
    coffee 25p per cup ( kinda hard to price this tbh)
    great lakes collagen 6p per gram 5p per coffee

approx per breakfast of 2 boiled eggs and coffee (x2) per day

£1.59 per day

Other foods

1kg mince =£10
    carrots =60p per kg
    cabbage=65p per kg
    turnip = 50p per 1
    veg stock cube=15p per cube
    red lentils =£2.15 per kg
    oxo cube-8.3 per cube
    bisto gravy=54.4 per 100g

Snacks

Avacado= 50p -75p depending on time of year etc

nut mix £0.50 per day approx 50g

Oils

Coconut oil 11.2p per gram
    Avacado oil 3p per ml
    Olive oil 1.5p per ml
  • elantan
    reserved for price changes
  • elantan
    edited 22 March 2018 at 10:06PM
    how am I doing ?

well I reckon over time this will change to weekly then monthly but will start daily

day 1 £5.97 so £1.03 to roll over
    day 2 £5.46 so £1.54 to roll over total £2.57 rolled over
    day 3£4.40 so £2.60 to roll over total £5.17 rolled over (hmm steak looking good )
    day 4 £5.46 so £1.54 to roll over total £6,71 rolled over
    day 5 £5.34 so £1.66 to roll over total £8.35 rolled over
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    £7 a day on groceries? Are you nuts?!

Or just eating nuts :D

Eta: I should add that my own long-term eating habits (ie barely eating, and v rarely cooking) are starting to cause me some health problems.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • elantan
    edited 18 March 2018 at 3:31PM
    Yeah it appears I must be ... but there I have just worked out breakfast and that is £1.59 per day alone, and will go up on the weekend as I have a bigger breakfast ... that to me seems crazy stuff,I have still to work out lunch and dinner, snacks start at 50p per day ... this eating malarky isnt cheap
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Actually what stands out to me is the price of butter. It's risen dramatically of late, but I'm sure Lidl and Aldi sell it for £1.70/250g. Shop there, and you will make decent savings on other things, including nuts.

I have to say though, when money is tight I stop eating completely. There is no way I am going to risk debt whilst there are reserves on my body.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    we move threads if we think they will get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done on setting a budget - the cost is yours and what you choose to spend your money on and that!!!8217;s fine - sticking to any budget is hars!

Have you tried meal planning? Batch cooking and meal prep for the week? All just things to get you organised and aiming to make sure you don!!!8217;t slip up! Also checking what you have in the house already and making a list when you shop so your not buying things you don!!!8217;t need or forgetting things you do!

Good luck!
    Living the simple life
  • elantan
    this so far seems to be very informative, it has forced me to look at exactly how much some things are costing us.

I have just looked up the prices for my daily supplements, I take Vitamin d3, Zinc, L'Arginine, Magnesium, Alpha lipoic acid and Carlson labs omega 3

I spend a total of £1.61 a day on this, and that isn't including the money on the M.C.T oil or the collagen.

This is proving to be quite an informative day.
  • elantan
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Actually what stands out to me is the price of butter. It's risen dramatically of late, but I'm sure Lidl and Aldi sell it for £1.70/250g. Shop there, and you will make decent savings on other things, including nuts.

I have to say though, when money is tight I stop eating completely. There is no way I am going to risk debt whilst there are reserves on my body.

yeah the price of butter is rising dramatically, I will lookat Aldo and Lidle and see how they compare. I am going to try and look online for nuts etc as well, just now I am using Asna prices purely because I can look them up online fast more than anything, as time goes on I will be refining the prices so hopefully will get a much better accurate daily spend. If your health is suffering you really need, is there anywhere you can get help to get food? I know it isnt easy and was there myself not that long ago, and I know I could be back there again in no time at all, (so do realise how lucky we are)Please dont risk your health, the debt will get there, but you need your health so that you can get there xxx

redfox wrote: »
    we move threads if we think they will get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

I did wonder if I had posted in the right place, I was between the OS board and the Grocery board, Thank you for moving it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure