Correction in progress!

Comments

• Drp8713
    Drp8713 Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Bought into TR European Growth Trust this morning after the 5% fall.

Diverted my ISA and LISA amounts that were going into cash this month into Baillie Gifford Shin Nippon which is 7% down and Standard Life UK Smaler Cos Trust.

Have been wanting to increase my exposure to smaller cos, might as well do it while the sales are on as they usually get hit hardest.
  • AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I'd say to the novice that there's a big difference between opening accounts and investing in them. Opening them has no financial implications*, you don't have to buy investments immediately.

* other than it means you can take account of this tax years allowances

Thanks! More. Specifically, the S&S JISA's will be starting with decent amounts as they're being transferred into from a cash ISA.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Both are down. This isn't even remotely a crash. so as long as you are mentally prepared to see as I have 1000 knocked off a 25k investment then crack on.
    That isn't a crash either. As I recall the S&P 500 lost 38% in 2008. But it recovered over the next couple of years.
    I can remember 25% inflation in Sterling so am keeping my equities. With so much being sold there must be a lot of cash on the sidelines waiting to jump back in :)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Very interesting watching prices steam since the markets opened. Initial 3%+ drop on UK indices now recovered to under 2% drop on the 100 and All Share. Looks like Europe is following suit.

Not exactly the bloodbath suggested by headlines.

Just checked prices again. The 100 is now under 1.6% drop and the All Share under 1.7%.

Can someone please explain what all the fuss is about? I may be naive but US and Asia is looking like a sharp but straightforward correction. UK and Europe: less sharp and a tad infected by US/Asian markets? Or am I missing something?
  • The S&P drop was the largest since 2008, which is significant. The markets are quite high, especially the US ones. Corrections and crashes can continue for months, so it could be an interesting ride. Or it might be nothing, just a wee wobble. I'd love a nice crash, take some air out of the market, a year or two of wobbliness to prepare it for the next bull run.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks! More. Specifically, the S&S JISA's will be starting with decent amounts as they're being transferred into from a cash ISA.

So thats cash thats merely moved location.

Now you have to decide when to invest it.

Only after you've invested it do you need to fret about stock market movements.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yikes. Just logged into my pension and S&S ISA accounts. Wish I hadn't.

This is just a minor drop so far. It is not even classed as a correction yet (10% triggers that). How are you going to react when a crash comes?

Can someone please explain what all the fuss is about?

A mixture of media sensationalism and increase in DIY investors who often invest above their risk profile and knowledge and worrying about very small levels of short term losses.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    Very interesting watching prices steam since the markets opened. Initial 3%+ drop on UK indices now recovered to under 2% drop on the 100 and All Share. Looks like Europe is following suit.

Not exactly the bloodbath suggested by headlines.

Just checked prices again. The 100 is now under 1.6% drop and the All Share under 1.7%.

Can someone please explain what all the fuss is about? I may be naive but US and Asia is looking like a sharp but straightforward correction. UK and Europe: less sharp and a tad infected by US/Asian markets? Or am I missing something?

Yep, you are missing the fact that the media likes big scary headlines.
    A couple of days ago the BBC spent a full minute commenting on Apple's results.
    50 seconds on iPhone X sales not being as high as expected.
    10 seconds on Apple's profits being the largest ever recorded.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The S&P drop was the largest since 2008, which is significant. The markets are quite high, especially the US ones. Corrections and crashes can continue for months, so it could be an interesting ride. Or it might be nothing, just a wee wobble. I'd love a nice crash, take some air out of the market, a year or two of wobbliness to prepare it for the next bull run.

Thanks for the background info.

But relative to the steep rise in the US (especially over the last 18 months) the drop doesn't look scary to me (yet). Should I be reacting somehow? Stop buffing my nails and do something proactive?

I have no plans to withdraw/change allocations/sell/buy/rebalance for the rest of this year as have just completed that exercise. Also no plans to add significant new money to the portfolio anytime soon. I do have 4% in cash. I'm thinking of hanging onto that for the mo and investing if (when?) the nasty hits the fan (10%+ drop?)

P'raps I should use this time to research a good destination for the cash? The US being first choice. :)
  • MarcoM
    MarcoM Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if one read the guardian it would appear that the stock market has been annihilated; the economy, shares, currencies and property don't exist anymore and we are now dealing in pears and apples.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure