Daughter taken out of school.

Hi,

My daughter has been taken out of school by her mother due to bullying. I am separated from her mother but we have always worked together to bring our two children up the best way possible.

She is in year 7 and I see this as a vital time to develop her education and social experiences. I supported the decision to remove her from the school she was in for the bullying reason (we went through the safeguarding officer route to no avail). I applied for her to start year 8 in a better school and her mother was happy with that at first. But now she wants to "Home School" my daughter which I am not happy about. I have spoken to education welfare and social services and they have advised me to seek legal advise. I have PR but I don't feel like I have a voice as nobody seems to care.

I have emailed education welfare and chased it up but no response. I have called them and they have said seek legal advise.

The mother has told me she is happy home schooling her and the school I applied for is "too much hassle" even though the ofstead reports are really good. I told her I would help with the commute 3 days a week and she can do two days but she refused.

They went on a 2 week holiday and she is staying at her friends for a long weekend which I know a school would not allow, so why is she allowed to do this? I am also concerned as my younger daughter who is ion year 6 is going to the school that my other daughter was bullied in, so I can see this happening all over again.

What rights do I have, how can I avoid solicitor fees etc and get my children into a decent school this September.

Thanks in advance.
:j

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    The short answer is you cant.

Just like you have rights, so does she. So you want to do things your way and she her way. The only thing you can do is seek a court order.

That said, there is no law requiring children to be registered in a school, so you need to show that the education the mother would provide would be insufficient.
  • tawecdl
    tawecdl Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Guest101 wrote: »
    The short answer is you cant.

Just like you have rights, so does she. So you want to do things your way and she her way. The only thing you can do is seek a court order.

That said, there is no law requiring children to be registered in a school, so you need to show that the education the mother would provide would be insufficient.

Are there any ways I can keep an eye on her progress without relying on my daughter and her mother to keep telling me "it's going really well"?

I personally believe my daughter is capable of high grades, her mother dropped out of school in year 10 so how is she capable of educating a secondary school child?

I am worried her grades will start to fall and the sooner I do something about it the better. I feel helpless :(
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    If your ex gets tax credits etc then once this transfers over to Universal Credit homes schooling may not be possible.

http://pyjamaschool.co.uk/universal-credit-for-home-educators/

Something to be aware of.
  • Guest101
    tawecdl wrote: »
    Are there any ways I can keep an eye on her progress without relying on my daughter and her mother to keep telling me "it's going really well"?

I personally believe my daughter is capable of high grades, her mother dropped out of school in year 10 so how is she capable of educating a secondary school child?

I am worried her grades will start to fall and the sooner I do something about it the better. I feel helpless :(

there are no 'grades' in home schooling. Social services can step in if the education isn't sufficient, however that takes a long time and is often a red herring. the basic level of education is English and Maths GCSE.

You need to speak to your daughter, her say so will sway a court decision if required.
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    there are no 'grades' in home schooling. Social services can step in if the education isn't sufficient, however that takes a long time and is often a red herring. the basic level of education is English and Maths GCSE.

You need to speak to your daughter, her say so will sway a court decision if required.

Well I am in absolute shock. I cannot understand why the country is so strict on parents taking their children out of school for one week when they can take them out of school completely with no issues?

Thank you so much for your advise. It does look like I will need to take this to court, which will cost. If there is any further information anybody can provide I would be most grateful.
  • Guest101
    Well I am in absolute shock. I cannot understand why the country is so strict on parents taking their children out of school for one week when they can take them out of school completely with no issues? - it's simple. the law allows parents to choose the type of education their children receive. But if you want a 3rd party to do it, and that 3rd party is the state, then you are subject to the additional terms.

Thank you so much for your advise. It does look like I will need to take this to court, which will cost. If there is any further information anybody can provide I would be most grateful.
    Step one needs to be a chat with your daughter really.
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Step one needs to be a chat with your daughter really.

She is 12 years old, she is loving not having to go to school. I believe a lot of children her age would be the same.

I did not think we lived in a society where ultimately a child gets to decide if they want to go to school or not... I did not get the choice when I was a child.

I have spoken to her a lot about this and she is happy being home educated. My heart sinks and my stomach turns to know I have got to watch my daughters education deteriorate over the next 5 years and there is nothing I can do about it.
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Sambella wrote: »
    If your ex gets tax credits etc then once this transfers over to Universal Credit homes schooling may not be possible.

http://pyjamaschool.co.uk/universal-credit-for-home-educators/

Something to be aware of.

do you have any more info on this?

the website is very vague
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well I am in absolute shock. I cannot understand why the country is so strict on parents taking their children out of school for one week when they can take them out of school completely with no issues?

If this actually happens - ex may change her mind and daughter may do so too - it is worth reading the link below as the law is that home schooling can take place and there are few checks about the quality of the schooling

What you need to do is apply for a prohibited steps order.

Before you do this you will have to go to mediation with your ex.

It is worth visiting CAB to see if they have a visiting family solicitor who would give you a short free interview to discuss this. CAB should also be able to give you contact details for mediation.

A very useful link here:

https://www.gov.uk/looking-after-children-divorce/types-of-court-order
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    If this actually happens - ex may change her mind and daughter may do so too - it is worth reading the link below as the law is that home schooling can take place and there are few checks about the quality of the schooling

What you need to do is apply for a prohibited steps order.

Before you do this you will have to go to mediation with your ex.

It is worth visiting CAB to see if they have a visiting family solicitor who would give you a short free interview to discuss this. CAB should also be able to give you contact details for mediation.

A very useful link here:

https://www.gov.uk/looking-after-children-divorce/types-of-court-order

Thank you very much for this. I need to speak to CAB but their webchat service is never available, and the local office I am on hold for 25-30 minutes. But now I know they may be useful I will call them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport