Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 7 October 2020 at 11:43AM in Energy
Hi all,

We've written a new guide on Free Boilers and Insulation, and it would be great to hear your feedback. Please do share your experiences and any extra tips to help others.

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
- How long it took to get a free inspection:
- Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions):
- How long it took to the get the boiler installed:
- How you found the experience:

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Jenny

Comments

• Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    From the article it seems that only an Energy Company can provide the free boilers.

There are TV adverts with Johnny Ball quoting Affordable Warmth and Help Link offering similar deals. Do they get their funding from the Energy Companies as well?
  • I own an ex-council house that has a Ideal Cavalcade 340 or 350 gas boiler. The manual I have is dated 1991.

I qualify to have my boiler replaced free under the Energy Company Obligations (ECO) scheme.

The problem is the boiler is so old it pre-dates when the tables were introduced so I cannot get the Energy Efficiency Rating.

I have called Ideal and they say they cannot help.

The Energy Savings Trust suggested I get a Home Efficiency Assessment done but times are hard, that's why I qualify for the scheme.

Any suggestions what I can do?
  • I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, but here goes. My 24 year old son lives with me and is on Job Seekers (didn't know there could be different types of JSA) and also gets Disability Living Allowance. I have just been advised by British Gas who were doing the yearly service that my boiler is now no longer manufactured and cannot be serviced for much longer under their scheme. He suggested that as my son is claiming these benefits I should apply for a free boiler, however I am not sure what happens with regard to finanching this if I apply but my son is then lucky enough to get a job. Am I then responsible for the full cost of the boiler or do the initial qualifying factors mean the boiler remains free?
  • Haddon201
    Haddon201 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hi, I'm pretty sure that as long as you qualify at time of installation then you wont have to pay when your son finds some work, fill out an online application and when the advisor calls to check eligibility you can always double check with them :)
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 July 2013 at 8:41AM
    Crazziee wrote: »
    I own an ex-council house that has a Ideal Cavalcade 340 or 350 gas boiler. The manual I have is dated 1991.

I qualify to have my boiler replaced free under the Energy Company Obligations (ECO) scheme.

The problem is the boiler is so old it pre-dates when the tables were introduced so I cannot get the Energy Efficiency Rating.

I have called Ideal and they say they cannot help.

The Energy Savings Trust suggested I get a Home Efficiency Assessment done but times are hard, that's why I qualify for the scheme.

Any suggestions what I can do?

Although it's a different scheme, according to conservenergy co uk they are G rated

Government Boiler Scrappage Scheme - G Rated Boilers
    Boilers within this Band G category will be eligible for the Government Boiler Scrappage Scheme grant of £400.

Caradon Ideal Calvacade
    340 4439230 GAS 65

Caradon Ideal Calvacade
    350 4439231 GAS 65
  • EDF won't replace a broken boiler, E.on, Npower and SSE all require you to be in receipt of an additional benefit to Working Tax Credits, either child support or disability etc.

Very disappointing, I'm on a low income, have had a broken boiler for 3 months and have been waiting for about the same to get proof that I'm in receipt of Working Tax Credits (I applied late, stupidly) and have just found out that I'm still not eligible for a free one.

Starting to get quite smelly.
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Boilerinfo wrote: »
    Pete McEwan

Website Owner

Ah would that be the same Pete McEwan of a certain free boiler website that arranged for me to have a survey months ago then I heard absolutely nothing since, doesn't have a contact telephone number on his website and doesn't answer emails. :mad:

Not to worry - going through the Energy Savings Trust now and they couldn't be more helpful.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • SADD
    SADD Posts: 1 Newbie
    Weeks ago I was approached by doorstep salesmen from energysavergroup.co.uk who signed me up to a contract for a free boiler, having met the benefits criteria. They said they'd be in touch within two weeks, but I never heard from them. I've tried to ring the company and it goes to a voice message that says 'box is full', and they're not replying to emails. Shortly after I signed the contract my boiler broke, so am in need of a replacement urgently. But I'm worried about the contract, which states that they will commence installation within a reasonable time, and that if I withdraw from the contract there will be (undisclosed) charges. I really want to approach one of the big five offering this service, but fear I may get caught up in a scam if I pull out of this contract. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Furthermore, I found another company at the weekend who are offering free replacements but they are not one of the big five energy companies. Are they legitimate too? I was also told that salespeople are gathering people's details then selling them on to other companies. The Energy Saving Trust aren't able to advise and I can't find any governance on this scheme that I can approach for advice.
  • Ah would that be the same Pete McEwan of a certain free boiler website that arranged for me to have a survey months ago then I heard absolutely nothing since, doesn't have a contact telephone number on his website and doesn't answer emails. :mad:

Not to worry - going through the Energy Savings Trust now and they couldn't be more helpful.

- clearly a spammer
    - enticement is in "found at the website in my profile"
    - I clicked the spam button - clearly others did not
    - Pete McEwan clearly a spammer, against forum rules
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Hi Everyone

To all those who have tried to get a free boiler through the ECO SCHEME via the ENERGY SAVING ADVICE SERVICE and come across problems and been rejected because you have received a letter from the Department of Energy and Climate Change. With the reason for rejection being that the DWP could not confirm that you were in receipt of any benefits. (When you know that you do receive benefits that qualify for this scheme) DONT GIVE UP!!

I just thought I would post up my experience of trying to get a free boiler through the ECO Scheme which has been a nightmare. Something that should have been so straight forward like the Energy Saving Advice service taking my details correctly, making sure that i qualify with regard to the qualifying benefits, choosing a supplier, verifying my benefits with the DWP, passing that on to the supplier, who contacts me to come and assess the situation. New boiler fitted happy days!! As the advisor at the Energy Saving Advice Service said to me, T"hat should be fine you should be contacted by the supplier within two to three weeks". NO PROBLEM you would think!!!

"ERR NOPE" no sign of a boiler that was back in April this year 2013 when my ten year old boiler gave up so no hot water, and no heat. We are now in mid July 2013, over 3 months later, and still no boiler. After making umpteen phone calls to the ESAS, going through 4 advisors, and a supervisor here is how it all went wrong.

The first time it got rejected I received the usual letter that the DWP could not confirm that i was in receipt of any benefits so i copied all my award letters and sent them recorded delivery to the ESAS at the DECC and received no reply.

Then after about a month I rang the ESAS to see what was going on and the advisor said he knew what the problem was it was because the previous advisor had entered the wrong date of birth, so he corrected it and said it should be no problem now.

So I left it another 3 weeks and nothing happened, so phoned back. This time the advisor said it had been rejected because, "err can I put you on hold" then cut me off.

The next advisor couldn't tell me either and said it looked fine etc. then said oh well we will do a new application, which we went through all the rigmarole again and he said that looks fine and said wait three weeks which i did and still no joy.

So I rang again and this time the advisor said he didn't know either, so do a another application which we did, At this point I am getting a little bit frustrated as no one can tell me why the DWP keeps saying I don't get benefits when I do. I suggested that I am the one applying in my name but the income support is in his name, could that be the problem? The DWP are searching for my name and coming up with nothing, because the benefits are in my husbands name and not mine. The advisor said no! If you are getting income support too that should not be a problem. At this time I am thinking that this is definately the problem logic tells me it is the problem so we argued a little about this, but he was adamant this was not the problem, and resubmitted the application.

Well low and behold it was rejected again. NOW I AM GETTING REALLY ANNOYED. So I phone back again this time the advisor says he will get a supervisor to phone me back, I said great maybe I will get somewhere now,and said when is that likely to be? He said "up to two weeks", I said," what are you joking here?", He said no they were very busy. ( I thought no wonder with clowns like you lot answering the phones).

So just to recap it is now mid June and I have done 3 applications one with British Gas one with Eon and one with Npower . Spoke to 3 advisors and now waiting for a call from a supervisor which guess what? In three weeks Never happened!

So today i phone again and ask for a supervisor and told i am speaking to one. I thought great I explained everything to him and he said i think i know what the problem is it is because the benefits are in your husbands name.
    HALLELUJAH!!!!

The penny has dropped I thought! But I am not getting too excited you never know we could both be wrong.
    So it has now been submitted again and I have to wait three weeks ha ha ha!!

So my advice is keep on trying to anyone who has been rejected because these advisors have not been trained properly and one day you may be lucky and fall upon one that has so good luck to you all!!

I am actually beginning to loose the will to live, or wash for that matter!! you have to have a sense of humour or you would hit someone!

I will keep you updated on this continuing saga and let you know if i ever actually do get a new boiler. LOL! kind regards LMS x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback