Problems with hand made item

Posting here, because it is mums’ related in a way. I saw a handmade furniture advertised by a mum on my local group. She didn’t have the size I wanted, but offered she can do one for me. I did not argue about the price, albeit she quoted me higher than her usual price. She requested a deposit (half of the full price) which I paid immediately. After missing the deadline for delivery she sent me a picture of the item ,and I really don’t like it. It looks nothing like the one I saw advertised. The work is really poor. I pointed the bits I don’t like to the lady and she said it is easier to do the new idem then to rectify it. I lost a trust in her craftsmanship, so I asked if I can have my deposit back and of course she refused, Saying that she spent time already making the item and I am just a fussy customer. While I understand that most likely I will not get my money back, I just wanted to know whether I am in the wrong or she is?

Comments

• amalis
    amalis Posts: 532 Forumite
    Just as example of one thing which I did not like -its a bedside cabinets and the seller painted them from outside only, from inside she left it unfinished and un unpainted. I was shocked and she says no customers ever ask the drawers to be painted from inside. Is that so?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Did the one you saw have the inside painted?
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think you need the Consumer Rights forum. I should contact the Board Guide and ask them to move your post over there.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Did you ask that the inside be painted,was the other one painted inside or did you assume that it was? It is rare to have drawers painted inside as things get shoved in drawers and damage the paint surface. Handmade items that are bespoke are usually outside the change of mind elements of the consumer rights legislation
  • kimcros
    kimcros Posts: 8 Forumite
    There are no claims for hand-made items if they are in line with the contract between the client and the contractor. And what if they deviate from the contract?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's usual for bedside cabinets to not be painted inside.

My FIL initially trained as a cabinet maker and though he spent his career doing something else, when he retired he went back to making furniture as a sideline. None of the bedside cabinets he made for family or friends were painted or varnished inside the drawers.

What made you think yours would be? Were they painted on the picture you saw?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    amalis wrote: »
    Just as example of one thing which I did not like -its a bedside cabinets and the seller painted them from outside only, from inside she left it unfinished and un unpainted. I was shocked and she says no customers ever ask the drawers to be painted from inside. Is that so?

Yes, it is so. If that's your only issue, you are in the wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure