PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deducting deposit for cleaning/rearraning furniture to original state

2»

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    robert32 wrote: »
    Well, actually it takes quite a bit of time (hence the reason why it hasn't been done). Due to the shape of the room, it means dismantling beds, removing mattresses, reassembling beds, putting mattress back.., plus no doubt some cleaning .

So yes, I'm loosing at least an hour of my time to do this. What value can I place on that?
    Why do the beds need to be dismantled to be moved? why move them at all?
    So what if you lose an hour of your time, you're a landlord, is spending one whole hour running your business really such a sacrifice?
    Jesus Christ man.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    This is fairly common, my old landlord threatened a tenant with loose of deposit as a bed was in a different place (the bed did not have to be dismantled) I think this is a total !!!! take.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Does it specify on the inventory the exact position of the furniture? That would be quite unusual. If not, then you can't charge the tenant for moving furniture. As others have said, does it really matter?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    robert32 wrote: »
    Any views welcome.

I suspect OP won't be enamoured by the almost unanimous view of respondents. ;)
  • robert32
    robert32 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Well, given the furniture was all over the place... room wasn't cleaned... and it took me in the end three hours to:

1. rearrange furniture
    2. clean
    3. put a curtain rail back up that had been put down

... so yes, I'll be taking something off. No, I don't see it as part of a tenant moving out. Whether it is on the inventory or contract may be important from a legal point of view, but not from the spirit of leaving a property in its original state. End of.

And actually the tenant had offered to sacrifice some of the deposit for the inconvenience, so my original post was to try and benchmark what would be fair to all concerned.

Thanks for the help.

Not.
  • DoaM wrote: »
    I suspect OP won't be enamoured by the almost unanimous view of respondents. ;)

Think you were right lol
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Glad you reached a compromise with the tenants.

But your 'not' seems somewhat unfair. You said
    Any views welcome.
    so should not be surprised if you received........ people's views!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure