Cooker Not Working. Cheapest Way To Diagnose?

2»

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    do you have a multimeter, reading light, or bedside light? if so turn it on and remove the plug so the wires are exposed, or just use a multimeter.

On the 2nd picture from the bottom of http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how-to/electrics/fitting-an-electric-oven connect the two wires if the lamp across the brown and blue wires (or red and black) and turn on the power a the lamp should glow indicating it is your oven that is the problem. Of it does not glow it is your electrics
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2018 at 10:47PM
    that wrote: »
    do you have a multimeter, reading light, or bedside light? if so turn it on and remove the plug so the wires are exposed, or just use a multimeter.

On the 2nd picture from the bottom of http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how-to/electrics/fitting-an-electric-oven connect the two wires if the lamp across the brown and blue wires (or red and black) and turn on the power a the lamp should glow indicating it is your oven that is the problem. Of it does not glow it is your electrics

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. When I clicked the link, I expected to see a pic of the cooker's socket on the wall. But it's a pic of the cooker itself. I don't understand how connecting a lamp's wire to a cooker will work. The cooker has no power, so how can it light a lamp?

If you mean conect the lamp to the wall socket, won't it be too much power?! Sorry if I'm a bit dense!

UPDATE:
    I've read it again and that page seems to be for a cooker that has power, but the oven is not working. My cooker has no power at all, thanks.
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • RealGem
    edited 6 August 2018 at 11:15PM
    macman wrote: »
    Have you looked at your consumer unit to determine which circuit the cooker is on? A hard wired cooker will normally have it's own dedicated radial circuit, and the fuse or MCB should be marked as such.
    Your symptoms indicate that no power is reaching the cooker. If you don't know how to continuity test or test for power at the cooker connection unit safely, using a multimeter, then get a sparky or white goods engineer in, because you are potentially dealing with a 32A circuit here.

It has its own switch named COOKER in the electric cupboard. The switch wasn't tripped which I would expect it to, if the fuse was blown. I switched it off and on again. It didn't work. It's modern and doesn't appear to have a fuse attached, so I don't understand how I can change or test the fuse.

I don't fancy doing multimeters on my own. I can see they don't cost much, but I watched half a dozen YouTube videos and they all give contradicting advice. I will have to phone the council and ask how much the call out fee will be. It might be cheaper for their sparky to diagnose it, than for me to get a private one out.

Or my cooker could be fine, and it might be the electricity supply that's faulty, in which case they'll fix it.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 11:28PM
    From reading the post, no one here knows if there is electricity going to the cooker or not, and I want to determine this.
    RealGem wrote: »
    Sorry I don't understand what you mean. When I clicked the link, I expected to see a pic of the cooker's socket on the wall. But it's a pic of the cooker itself. I don't understand how connecting a lamp's wire to a cooker will work. The cooker has no power, so how can it light a lamp?
    That page was for picture purpose only.
    If you mean conect the lamp to the wall socket, won't it be too much power?! Sorry if I'm a bit dense!
    Your cooker can draw up to about 32A and that lamp will draw not even 0.5A which makes its power usage insignificant and will not overload anything

electric_oven_Electrical_connections_1.jpg
    in the picture above (and yours will be very similar) keep all the wires in situ, but across the blue wire add one wire from the light (they normally screw down), and add the other light bulb wire to the brown. make sure that the blue wire only touches its screw and only lamp wire - same for brown. Switch on the mains at the fuse box. if the light glows then you obviously have power going to the oven.

this is the same as plugging in a lamp to a wall socket. if the lamp glows then there is power. in this case there is no socket, just this time the wires going to the back of the cooker which is powered from a cable, instead of a wall socket

here is a 402 manual, but will probably be of no help https://manualzz.com/doc/3553996/tricity-bendix-se402-user-s-manual
  • RealGem
    @That, I said in my original post:
    "Nothing works. It does not have a clock or digital display, but none of the parts work; none of the rings or either of the two ovens, and the two ovens' switch/knob lights don't come on."

Thank you for your tip. I will try it tomorrow and let you know if it works. Fingers crossed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure