Payrise for private sector workers

Hi,
Looking for some advise. I’ve worked in the public sector most of my life, but for the past four years I move been working in the private sector. I haven’t had any increase in my basic salary in four years, it probably sounds silly but is this normal? Obviously the cost of living has increased in that time so things are now getting a bit tight. Is it normal to have no pay rise for such a long period, and if not how do I go about asking for a rise?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There is no automatic right to pay rise and private sector doesn't automaticalyl give cost of living rises - they are more likely to be looking at their profit and loss and working out what can reasonably be afforded.

Do you have regualr reviews or an annual review? If so, that's the ideal time to bring up a pay rise - go prepared to justify it with reference to your own performance and (potentially) market rates for the type of job you are doing.

If you don't have regualr reviews / appraisals, then do your research and preparation in relation to your own performance, market rates etc and then ask for a meeting with you manager and make your case. It may be that they review wages at a specifc time each year so you may have to wait for that time.

It's not necessarily unusual not to have a raise for a while - funds available for raises will depende on the business's profitability,and of course while ideall employers should review wages and give raises where these are justified without having to wait to be asked, not all do.

Some operate a policy that they will wait for you to ask, on the 'why pay more if we don't have to?' assumption. It's not good management, and of course good employees may choose to go elswhere rather than asking for a raise, but it is not uncommon!
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Kay151 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for some advise. I’ve worked in the public sector most of my life, but for the past four years I move been working in the private sector. I haven’t had any increase in my basic salary in four years, it probably sounds silly but is this normal? Obviously the cost of living has increased in that time so things are now getting a bit tight. Is it normal to have no pay rise for such a long period, and if not how do I go about asking for a rise?

Thanks in advance

Where i work every employee get's a cost of living/market rate pay rise each year and for the last 4 years it has been around 3% each time. By not having this you are effectively being paid less each year due to inflation so it's a bit unfair but certainly not uncommon and i know many people who haven't had a pay rise in that time.

I've also negotiated Pay Rises for myself in addition to this and justified this by my work performance and responsibilities.

But in your case you can use inflation, CPI etc to justify a certain amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure