Starting new job but hours issue

Hey.

I start a part time job this week, but the thing is, I have some medical reasons that may impact my ability to be on time in the mornings; I surely have a sleep disorder, which hasn't yet been officially diagnosed (I've had this all my life, I myself absolutely know it's something as I don't sleep normally.) Sometimes I'll have a night of sleeping one hour or so, or none at all. When I was in my last year of school, I was late often because of this and punished for it. I'm not saying this would happen alot, I just know at some point I'd be late or even have to pretend to be physically ill and not go in because I've had no sleep, and this would happen more than once.

I didn't mention this at my interview because I didn't have the diagnosis, so if I explained it like I am here it may seem as if I'm simply unreliable or disinterested in certain hours and they wouldnt have given me the job.

Ive agreed to work mornings, however, now I wish I'd have asked for other hours. I know you can work afternoons and nights, and that's what I'm hoping for. I'll do the morning hours this week, but I want to change them.

Do I have a right to ask for different hours, even though this week is my first week? I still don't want to tell them that I have these sleep issues as without an official diagnosis, they may think I'm making it up. What if they refuse and say I have to work these hours?

Could I even change them for this week before I start? I know people will say that I should have mentioned this in the interview, but I've already explained that. They wouldn't have hired me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why don't you have a diagnosis? If it's gone on so long, why haven't you gone to a doctor to see what they say? A diagnosis (and treatment) would be helpful in terms of your whole life - lack of sleep has significant effects on so many areas.

In terms of your immediate problem - they have hired you for certain hours and will expect you to work those hours. Asking for a change at this stage it likely to be refused at best, and mark you down as a troublemaker at worst.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You will need to learn to sleep

You have signed a contract to be in work at a certain time of day for the hours you have in your contract. You don't get in on time, or at all, you will find your contract can and will be terminated

This is how it works in the real world, no detentions, the sack

The majority of people who think they have a sleeping disorder, actually don't. What they do have is bad habits which stop them from sleeping, such as games consoles, tv, internet, phones on, in the hours leading to bedtime, all keeping the brain buzzing making sleep difficult. You can google sleep hygiene for advice on what to do to ensure a nights sleep and also a routine of early to bed and early to rise will soon get you into good habits

If you surely do have a sleep disorder that you have had all your life, you would surely have been seeing your GP and getting a referral to a sleep clinic by now for a formal diagnoses and advice
  • LD9
    LD9 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You assume I haven't. You have no idea the trouble I've gone through trying to get seen by someone relevant; when a GP doesn't actually fob me off, I have to wait months for a referral at hospital which never comes.

The rota changes each week, I don't think you have the same hours every single week. That's why I was asking about changing them to specifically afternoons onwards, so I could just be noted down for anything other than mornings in advance.
  • LD9
    LD9 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Ok Suki, I thought I'd get a response like yours. Learn to sleep? Excuse me? Bad habits? Ok, tell that to the five year old me that took four hours to get to sleep every single night, no I didn't have any games or anything, that was made sure of. I've said in the above post about the difficulty of getting a referral.

As I just said, the hours change every week. You don't work the same hours every single week which is why I asked.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    As it's undiagnosed the new employer may be less than supportive, particularly as you state you have had problems all your life. What steps have been taken to get an official diagnosis? Bottom line is likely to be that the job will be short lived if you repeatedly arrive late or mess them about by asking to work different hours as soon as you start working for them.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,685 Forumite
    Without getting into the sleep side of things, what is the reason the shifts chance every week? You can ask to change. They can say no.
    If you are on permanent lates then that means other people will have to do more earlier starts, which may or may not be an issue for them.
    Your employer may not be entirely impressed by the shift patterns not being raised before the job offer was made, and they can retract it or end your employment at any point. Then again, for a self diagnosed issue, then you turning up late isn't going to go down well either. You are the one who knows the specific situation and you need to weigh up the pros and cons of each option.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I can feel for you I applied for a part time job and ending up being offered full time hours. God do I wish I’d cancelled the interview as soon as I spotted the employer making changes to the job advert hours before attending interview. I was fortunate enough to be offered a trial before any offering of job really. I have had to ask for time to go to a medical appt before I’ve even begun as if I was working the original advertised hours, it wouldn’t have been a problem. If I am ill maybe the 4 week trial might be of benefit. Awful way to have look at it. I think you just have to ask.

My current work place no one wants to work the eves/lates. (Do the horrid rotational shifts) so there is always someone willing to swap.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    LD9 wrote: »
    Ok Suki, I thought I'd get a response like yours. Learn to sleep? Excuse me? Bad habits? Ok, tell that to the five year old me that took four hours to get to sleep every single night, no I didn't have any games or anything, that was made sure of. I've said in the above post about the difficulty of getting a referral.

As I just said, the hours change every week. You don't work the same hours every single week which is why I asked.

So you have had these issues for easily 12 years or more and yet nothing has been done to get to the bottom of it?
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have a sleep disorder, have had for pretty much all my life but I have never been late to work (or school) even when I have had little or no sleep. As an example, I had 2 hours sleep on Sunday night but I was still there, 15 minutes early on Monday morning to unlock the building.

A good night's sleep for me is 6 hours...it doesn't happen very often.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I also have sleep problems but get up for work, it's a case of you have to, there is no other option. If you don't you lose your job. Get a good alarm clock and give it a go. It's amazing what you can do on very little sleep and you must be used to functioning on zero by now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure