Is it worth triggering a DLA to PIP transfer?

Options
Or is it even worth it?

My supported living manager is leaving the company. I'm worried that the new manager won't know enough about me to write a factual report on my care needs.

I suffer from anxiety about losing my benefits and being made homeless. I have loads of written proof about my disability and illness (Mild learning disability and schizoaffective disorder) I get intensive support from the LD team (I'm on a community treatment order) as well as 21 one to one support hours per week. I live in 24/7 staffed group home. Also been deemed to lack capacity with money so I have a social services appointee, can't manage to take my medication independently. Staff help with cooking/cleaning/shopping/emotional support. In fact I get lots of support. Everything is documented.I have been sectioned 11 times the worst one being when I severely harmed myself thinking I had a microchip in my armpit. The staff have to look out for signs I am becoming unwell again as I go for zero to 100 very quickly.

Do you think its worth triggering a PIP assessment so my managers got time to write me a report or do you think with all the evidence I have (which is lots) I should wait it out to when they change me over properly?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its most likely that you will be moved to PIP from DLA this year, they will write to you and tell you that your DLA is ending and invite you to apply for PIP, it might be worth asking your supported living manager to write a letter telling them what he knows about your care and or mobility needs you can then include that with any other letters you have.
    I wouldn't advise trying to move from DLA before this, what I would advise is that you have a good search of the internet on the subject of PIP that will help later.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, i definitely wouldn't advise this before you're invited to apply. At the moment your DLA is still being paid, keep it that way for now.

Sounds like you have plenty of evidence when the time comes anyway, so the letter from the supported living manager may not even be needed. Sometimes with evidence, less is more because too much evidence and it's possible that one piece may contradict another.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Poppy 12345 - Don't disturb your current award. If you are on an indefinate award then it could be a very long time before you get called to change over, and it's safer for you to just let the current arrangement stand in place.

If you aren't on an indefinate award at the moment you should get plenty of notice when you need to apply for PIP.

Really REALLY don't do anything until you absolutly have to on this!
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Being on an indefinite DLA award does not mean it will be a long time before you get called. I was on indefinite DLA and was called to switch to PIP in December 2016.
    If you are certain you'll get the same level then give them a call if it is causing you further anxiety.
    easy wrote: »
    I agree with Poppy 12345 - Don't disturb your current award. If you are on an indefinate award then it could be a very long time before you get called to change over, and it's safer for you to just let the current arrangement stand in place.

If you aren't on an indefinate award at the moment you should get plenty of notice when you need to apply for PIP.

Really REALLY don't do anything until you absolutly have to on this!
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I too am on an indefinte award - but my circumstances have changed considerably over the 13 years since I was assessed for DLA - on a care need -(mid care component - no mobility component at all) but in the intervening years - my needs have changed - mobility being my biggest problem now - I am virtually unable to walk at all !

Should I ask for a transfer to PIP ?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I too am on an indefinte award - but my circumstances have changed considerably over the 13 years since I was assessed for DLA - on a care need -(mid care component - no mobility component at all) but in the intervening years - my needs have changed - mobility being my biggest problem now - I am virtually unable to walk at all !

Should I ask for a transfer to PIP ?
    Entirely your choice but as others in the thread have advised, at the moment you're still being paid your DLA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure