Sainsbury and the new Nectar trial - horror

My local is just one of 3 stores nationwide using the new scheme which changes the way Nectar is used, so bewildering.

You have to download app , pick five star buys which you get points for ie say 20 point for carton double cream, 1 point for each litre petrol, the five choices stay for several month and each Friday you get a weekly choice of between 10 - 20 items which is predicted on your buying trends, if you don't choose them you dont get points. You no longer get points on your total bill or those small vouchers when paying,,,, this has all stopped.

So if I spend £150 on my Xmas shop the only thing I will get points on is the five standing choices plus the predicated items that come along each weeks, so the turkey and the trimming it's a case of got stuffed by Nectar:rotfl:

No one likes change and found it hard at first.....wondered what others in trial area think.

I feel it is really cutting those folks like some elderly who may not have a mobile from collecting points....it is almost like you are not valued unless you have the app and pick the points options.

Guess its the way things will go.

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If it's app only - they will get a big backlash! If you can choose your items online; I'd probably pick the most commonly bought things and leave it... I can't see many people taking the time to select the offers every week unless the points on offer are much larger 250 compared to the 50,80,120 from the till spit vouchers.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Sandhy
    Sandhy Posts: 217 Forumite
    Are you on the Isle of Wight?
  • Are you on the Isle of Wight?

No -

The thing I dislike is no other items of shopping get points.......I understanding you can opt out and just get 1 point as before. But the coupons have gone.

But the folks plugging Nectar (brought in and standing at pop up stall) were not telling you this.
    Was in yesterday and asked for Nectar card when paying and I asked what was the point as no items were on my points list. I got a rather frosty look.
    I you don't have an app you can do it online by making the choicing from the items they release each Friday, about 10, sometime more (think you get more if you not shopped at Sainsbury).

Me well after years as a Sainsbury shopper I am gradually coming use to Tesco, and just go to which ever I am passing.
  • For ages this was how Waitrose card worked. You'd have to go online and pick from a limited list of items the few things you wanted a discount on (never anything terribly useful) and then for a set time if you bought them and used the card you'd get a discount.
    Of course I'd forget which size cream I'd chosen and buy the wrong one anyway.
    The whole thing was a waste of time and I think they've scrapped it. I now get a few vouchers posted to me in a fancy envelope that I don't use because we've moved away from any stores.

Customer data is valuable and if they can't give even a meagre discount in exchange for us handing over huge amounts of marketing insights then it's card snip time.
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 December 2018 at 7:58PM
    For me, the myWaitrose pick-your-own offers were amazing. I saved the most I had ever saved with a loyalty card ever. Not based on points of course, it was incredible, and I was disappointed they stopped it.

It was said people found it confusing, but it was 20% off 10 products you had chosen. And that 20% off worked even if those products were half-price already in store or if they had been marked down. And not only that, it would take 20% off the full-price of the item on multi-buys.
    I recall getting £5 bottles of persil for just £2, a stack of which I still have today.
    Or the expensive packs of fresh beef mince, 3 for a tenner, and it would then take a further 20% off the full price of each pack. It shocked even the checkout staff. I was making beef chill with the best Hereford and steak beef for the same price as what Lidl and Aldi charged.

All just a distant memory now of course.

This nectar offer sounds nothing like Waitrose, and a waste of time. Depends how much you value points, but it won't come close to Waitrose pick your own. The problem with points is they have no value until redeemed.

The only time I go to Sainsbury's is when there is a points offer on, or if there is 10x points on petrol, as Nectar points to me are relatively worthless.

Waitrose stopped because people found it confusing? Yeah right...... it was just too good :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure