I'm done with shopping channels

whitesatin
whitesatin Posts: 2,088
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 24 November 2018 at 4:17PM in Shop but don't drop
After many years of shopping in this way, I no longer feel that it's something I want to do. A combination of poor service and quality of goods means that I want to physically see something before I part with my money.

Good while it lasted but not for me any more. Just think of all the extra hours I'll get back in my life, lol.

Comments

• Stephenmac
    Stephenmac Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2018 at 11:15PM
    Hi. Yes I agree. They had their place priory to the world wide web. When satelite TV was the new big thing. I have tissues and issues with QVC. It seems to get wrapped up in some sort of gold cotton wool.

I was at my mums and it was Christmas gifts. she can't get out anymore to the shops so likes to see what they have.

She saw 4 things, a Molton Brown item, a Decleor, a L'occitane and another gift I forget. She wanted all 4. As I pointed out, this would be 4 x £4.95 delivery charges. Almost £20 on top of the screen price. All 4 items coming from the 1 courier and from the same warehouse.

I could get a taxi into Glasgow, have lunch and a taxi back and have bought the gifts for more or less the same price.

QVC is stuck in a timewarp with regards the delivery pricing. I want them shut down like that bid up/price drop.
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Stephenmac wrote: »
    Hi. Yes I agree. They had their place priory to the world wide web. When satelite TV was the new big thing. I have tissues and issues with QVC. It seems to get wrapped up in some sort of gold cotton wool.

I was at my mums and it was Christmas gifts. she can't get out anymore to the shops so likes to see what they have.

She saw 4 things, a Molton Brown item, a Decleor, a L'occitane and another gift I forget. She wanted all 4. As I pointed out, this would be 4 x £4.95 delivery charges. Almost £20 on top of the screen price. All 4 items coming from the 1 courier and from the same warehouse.

I could get a taxi into Glasgow, have lunch and a taxi back and have bought the gifts for more or less the same price.

QVC is stuck in a timewarp with regards the delivery pricing. I want them shut down like that bid up/price drop.

I know what you mean re p&p charges. It's definitely a money maker for them. The order I was waiting for, and which prompted my post, finally arrived yesterday, badly wrapped from the manufacturer but, thankfully, intact but that's my last. When I see something I like, I search online and can often find it cheaper elsewhere but, I suppose, like your mum, those who are housebound, may find it useful. I know my mum used to love browsing through catalogues (whatever happened to those?) and used to buy things and pay them up. She wasn't able to get to the shops really but the enjoyment was in the browsing I suppose. She did end up paying over the top but I suppose it was a step up from those warehouse places she would go to years ago (in Glasgow), e.g. Goldbergs, or worse, the guys who would visit her with a boot full of household goods, toys etc. which she would pay up every week only to be offered more and more so the debt continued.

As a Glaswegian (living in Hertfordshire), how I envy you getting a taxi into Glasgow city centre. I'm definitely due a visit.
  • Totally agree with you guys! I have had such situations so many times!!! They are irritating as hell
  • Re QVC delivery if you order one item and pay del then if you add to that order delivery is half i.e £2.45
  • venison wrote: »
    Re QVC delivery if you order one item and pay del then if you add to that order delivery is half i.e £2.45

I thought that was only if you were buying more of the same item?
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,047
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, you have to order the exact same item to get the second item half price. If you bought a red shirt and pink shirt even though same style you'd have to pay two full lots of postage.

Ideal World do a price cap on postage but their stuff is generally pretty naff.
  • Hi, i saw years ago on QVC an presenter from the USA say something about no P and P on more that one item its free, the UK presenter stopped them saying that as P and P is on each item here in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure