Intrusive questions!!

I am claiming PPI from the Halifax, last week they rang me and I answered as many questions as possible, but they are ringing me back next week for some I didn't have answers for... My question is, have other people been through this - I mean they said I would be on the phone 10-15 mins but it took half an hour and I was exhausted by the end of it - they wanted to know answers to questions they already had details about like my salary at the time - my savings, what my job was, what I was going to spend my money on - why my partner had a little part time job and what he spent his money on - I felt they were trying to trip me up - has anyone else been in the same situation - Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They're not intrusive and they're not trying to trip you up.

They're giving you the opportunity to provide evidence to support your complaint.

Many people have been in the same situation. The smart ones answer the questions honestly.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They are not trying to trip you up.
    They are investigating a complaint that you have made about them miss selling you a product.

If they dont investigate correctly they will just say well if you wnt answer, we will reject tour complaint, simple as that really
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Surely it's pretty black and white as to whether or not they mis-sold you PPI? What has the OP's financial circumstances got to do with it?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Because the likelihood of mis sale depends on the complaint reasons.
  • Thanks for the replies - it makes me feel better that I have answered the questions honestly. I have nothing to hide it just all felt very exhausting - good to know they weren't trying to trip me up
  • My other halfs details are relevant as we took out the mortgage together
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Surely it's pretty black and white as to whether or not they mis-sold you PPI? What has the OP's financial circumstances got to do with it?

Usually, there is little or no evidence to support the missale allegations being made. However, rather than just reject the complaint due to lack of evidence, they are required by the regulator to look at the whole sale to check whether it was correct or not.

This includes ascertaining the financial circumstances at the point of sale.

So, it has everything to do with it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

It's not black and white at all.
    No one reclaims PPI, no one is owed PPI money back.

You make a complaint that it was missold, not a claim. Otherwise, I could just say, well, you owe me £100 ad you would have to pay it because I clamed you owed it to me
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

The only black and white miss-sale is single premium PPI (where the PPI was added to the loan meaning you paid interest on top of that as well as the loan interest) or if the person could not possibly have had a payout if they tried to claim on the cover.

Most PPI complaints say generic things like "I didn't know about it" or "I had work benefits that would cover me" and the bank needs to verify what these are. Many people believe they have benefits which are actually way worse than they think. For example, a firm may only pay a week or two sick pay before putting you on SSP so if you were off for 6 months, PPI would evidently be very good as it would help you out when you had no money coming in. Similarly, people think, wrongly, they have a guarantee of redundancy, whereas a firm could fail and you get the bare minimum. Conversely, someone in say the NHS with 6 months full sick pay and effectively guaranteed redundancy pay could say the PPI policy on a credit card was not needed.

The bank has to investigate the complaint and verify the complaint reasons given are legitimate and evidenced, hence the calls.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Intrusive questions

If you want a refund of your PPI, you have to expect that you should have to overcome some obstacles.

What you need to realise is that, realistically, the questions are really only "intrusive" if answering them (honestly) will preclude you from refund.

If you don't want to answer these questions, then no one is forcing you.

However, if not answering results in no refund being awarded, then you have gained precisely nothing.

Your choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport