Ireland wide car insurance post Brexit?

ger27
ger27 Posts: 19 Forumite
I live in NI but need to travel without notice to RoI because of health of elderly mother.
My car insurance is with AXA UK and they say I must have exact dates, give a months notice etc.
While I understand that the system is designed for one off holiday trips, what on earth do I do in my situation???
There must be thousands who drive up and down every day...

Do NI based car insurance companies offer island wide insurance?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me....

Comments

• RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My policy with John Lewis has a specific endorsement on the schedule "Eire extension", which states: this insurance will also apply while the Insured Car is temporarily in the Republic of Ireland.

No other conditions on it at present.
  • kyral
    kyral Posts: 167 Forumite
    I'm with Direct Line and had the green card notification sent out last week.
  • blackcatg
    blackcatg Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Axa NI cover you for up to 90 days in Europe per policy website. If no deal Brexit they will issue green cards for proof of insurance abroad automatically.
    https://www.axani.co.uk/help/question/am-i-covered-to-drive-abroad/

https://www.axani.co.uk/other/green-card/
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    It’s all mad.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • ger27
    Thank you for your help and the links to AXA NI however I am unclear about whether I have to specify exact dates before hand.

Do you know or do I need to talk directly to the insurance company?
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I’m with Liverpool and when I called them about it today they promised a green card sent out first class post by return which would cover us for the rest of this year without charge. I’m impressed by the speed and efficiency of this service. Worth bearing in mind when you review your insurer.

Might be worth seeing about changing insurer and letting Axa know that they are no longer capable of serving the needs of NI drivers. I wouldn’t stay, or consider insuring with anyone who needed advance notice either. I’ve got friends in border areas and it’s easy to accidentally cross the border enroute to their houses!
  • dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2019 at 10:54PM
    A Green Card arrived for me from Aviva without any prompting., valid until my renewal next year.
    The cover letter stated "As one of our customers in Northern Ireland (NI).....you may travel between NI and the Republic of Ireland (ROI)
    Dave
  • blackcatg
    blackcatg Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would ring Axa tomorrow or call into an office to see if you have to give dates in advance. I don't know if they would give you a green card or it needs sent out, or if you even need one yet?
  • ger27
    Thank you all for your help and advice.
    I have now transferred my car insurance from AXA UK to Direct Line - solving my green card issue and (amazingly) saving about £100 in the process!!!
    That's a win win result!
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 811 Forumite
    Just be aware with direct line that you will have push them to not increase your premium each year. They're one of the ones that like to punish loyal customers...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure