Airport luggage 'cage' too small: any redress?

Options
2»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 3 March 2019 at 7:49AM
    Options
    No, because she left it with the friend who had taken her to the airport and flew without it. Since she specifically bought it to be of precisely the dimensions allowed by Flybe I presume that it was measured properly at the time of purchase, but do not know this.
    Maybe find out the full details and then come back with an update...

Did the label specifically say it was suitable for Flybe hand luggage?

I too doubt that the measuring cage would be smaller than the maximum dimensions in Flybe's T&Cs.

I went shopping for hand luggage with a measuring tape and soon realised that the dimensions quoted on the labels were not the actual measurements (excluded wheels and handles).
    I stuck with my rucksack.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The correct redress would be to refer the matter to Norfolk trading standards and see if comes under the auspices of the Weights and Measures Law.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    The correct redress would be to refer the matter to Norfolk trading standards and see if comes under the auspices of the Weights and Measures Law.
    Yes, but first the OP's friend needs to be sure that her bag really was within Flybe's measurement limits (but I - and others - think that's pretty unlikely).
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why did she not just pay to put it in the hold,have her holiday/trip and sort it out on her return,why spoil the whole thing for a couple of quid.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Why did she not just pay to put it in the hold,have her holiday/trip and sort it out on her return,why spoil the whole thing for a couple of quid.

The fee to put it in the hold would have been more than the ticket price.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »

Coming back from BHD a few weeks ago a par if students rocked up to the Flybe check-in desk only to find their bags were too big, they had one each and a connecting Flybe flight in LCY, they were charged £50 per case per leg, £200 just to get their luggage to their destination. It's not just a 'couple of quid'.

As an aside, it's always worth looking at the 'Get More' flight prices, they include 23kg hold luggage for quite often the same price as adding luggage to a non-flexi flight.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Voyager and update would be nice.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Voyager and update would be nice.

Friend is now in China and so cannot communicate over Facebook. If/when I get any more details I shall share them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure